Satellite Dish Reception & Internet Options

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

bc2000harley7

Satellite Dish Reception & Internet Options

Post by bc2000harley7 »

We are new Born Free owners and planning to try full timing this spring/summer for at least a year. Two comforts of home very important to at least one of the two us (that would be me :roll: ) would be decent TV reception with access to cable networks and, of course, internet & email. Would appreciate learning of your experiences with either.

Our preference would be for the permanent roof mounted satellite dish but have read that tree coverage can interfer with reception--and we REALLY like park-type camping under the trees rather than the cement pad resort parks. Occasional Walmart would be exception to the cement pad concept.

Plan on traveling with our old laptop and would like internet access even when camping without hookups. Have ruled out satellite as too expensive but am considering the aircards offered by the cell phone companies. Other suggestions?

We have learned so much from reading the postings on this board so looking forward to any insights you might share. Hope to meet some of you in person in the future!

Gail & Bob Coleman
Naples, FL (for now, anyway!)
2005 26RB
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Based upon what you're saying...you want the aircard on the cell phone (because of price and coverage)....and maybe a satellite on a tripod for dish or directTV access.

Go one step further and get solar panels and an inverter, and maybe charge your batteries by solar when you need to... and you can watch TV without running the generator during the day.

I really like the Motosat option for waht it offers but not price. I don't like the price, it's just too high.

So, if i keep doing this for much longer, I'm looking at the same thing. Except etiher you have to have AC power or solar or wind and an inverter to get around that....to watch the Tv. I purchased a TV at Best Buy that satisfied my needs, and will mount it myself. No saying that the factory has to do everything you need. Once it's yours it is yours...do what you like.

Trish
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Hi Trish...Glad you made it home okay. Hope you didn't hit the winds I hit..Anyhow, I bought a TV on my way home from Quartszite. It's one of those LCD (or whatever they call them)...flat screen 15" at CW. I was going to buy a AC/DC so I could use it in my rear bed area, but they were so heavy (even the small 13")and so bulky. The fellow that helped me told me I could convert the LCD to a DC by buying an inexpensive ($8.00)part at Radio Shack. So I did. The TV only uses about 36 watts to start it and then runs on about 4 watts which makes the DC plug-in (the one that looks like a cigarette lighter kinda where the cable plug, etc. is)..useable without using an inverter. I called Kim at BF and asked him his opinion and he said it should work fine. I haven't had any trouble. Furthermore, it's so light weight, maybe 3 lbs and compact that when traveling back home I just slipped it under the pillow (cause it's so flat) on my bed where it was safe & out of the way while I traveled. I'm really happy I got it. Kim told me that I should not use an inverter in those 10 watt plug ins at all! I'm going to try to go to Humbolt this summer and at that time have a properly wired inverter installed along with a couple other things I want BF to do...Anyhow, don't know if this helps anyone, but wanted to share. Oh yeah...the reason for the second TV??? Well, I dry camp often and didn't want to be using my generator making noise & all for those around me...so with this LCD I can watch TV, be comfortable and not disturb anyone...works for me.....
whemme

15" LCD TV

Post by whemme »

CHARLOTTE,

Since I have been considering a small LCD TV for the rear bed area in our BF also, could you state the exact brand and model you got from CW. The P/N of the Radio Shack part would be nice to know also.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Hi Bill....More than happy to help. As I save everything (receipts & infor. when I make any kind of a purchase for the BF), I have the infor. for you. The TV is a Coby TF-TV1500. It cost (here in CA) $350.00. The parts you need from Radio Shack to use this with DC power are: Lighter Socket DC Power Cord with Adaptaplug Outlet #270-1558. Cost here was $7.99. The other part is Adaptaplug "N" (Says 5.5 mm O.D.x2mm I.D. on packet) #273-1717. I don't know what it cost because they didn't charge me for it...it's just a tiny little plug thingamajig...Anyway, I paid $8.61 total with tax for the 2. The thing I remember them telling me is that you have to make sure that you connect this adaptor properly. On the back of the TV you'll see a small diagram. On the back of the Lighter Socket Power Cord it gives you instructions on how to attach the Adaptaplug "N" in order to match the diagram on the TV. You probably know a whole bunch more than I do, so you won't have any trouble. But the Clerk made it clear that I should connect all this properly or there would definitely be a problem. (Think it has something to do with positive + or negative - connection). Anyway, when I talked to Kim about it he said I shouldn't have any problems as long as I don't use an inverter attached. I don't know a lot about inverters, but I told Kim...why would you need an inverter anyway if you're plugging the TV directly into the DC jack ... and he said...that's right Charlotte...so just don't forget. Heck...how could I. It's a easy direct plug-in for me. Plus it's so light weight and compact that putting it on that shelf (by the rear bed) isn't a problem. Oh yes...while you're at Radio Shack you might want to pick up a short cable line. I got a 3 or 4' as I didn't want a whole bunch of cable wire tangled up by the TV. This TV also can be used as a monitor for your computer. Comes with all the hook-ups & of course includes a remote control and batteries. Know this is long...but wanted to be sure I mentioned everything. Let me know if you choose to buy this for your coach. Hope this helps....
whemme

LCD TV

Post by whemme »

Thanks Charlotte,

Since my wife and I will be leaving iceberg Spencer, IA for NM, AZ, CA, and NV on Feb 15th on our annual one month BF trip out to the warm SouthWest USA, we will be going by a couple of CW stores and will look into this. Thanks for the detailed information, you're a sweetheart!
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Bill...I'm in the Bay Area and though I live in an ordinary tract like area...I can offer the space in front of my house (street) and water and power hook-ups if you find yourself in my neighborhood. My neighbors are very nice and would not mind plus it's a decent area. Also, there are RV Parks not far if you want that sort of surrounding. I can offer any advice you might need on this area, roads to avoid, things to see (or not to bother with) or if you should need a mechanic, store info, etc. I'd love to help make your trip a 'breeze' and a great California experience. If there's anything you need or have questions on...absolutely call me or e-mail me or just show up at my door....coffee is always on and tea or other such nourishment/refreshments are always available as close as my pantry and frig....Keep my offer in mind just in case it fits your itinerary...
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

By the way...if you're going into the Nevada area, I bought the TV and adapters at the Camping World and Radio Shack (they're just 2 or 3 blocks apart) in Henderson, NV on Boulder Hwy. The staff/clerks were helpful and really nice at both places.... :D
bc2000harley7

Post by bc2000harley7 »

Thanks for the input on the solar panels & inverters, will take both under consideration. For clarification, we would much prefer the roof mounted satellite dish rather than dealing with the tripod but wanted to hear from anyone with the roof mount to see if they have much trouble with reception if parked under tree cover. How much, how often? Minor annoyance or big problem??

Gail Coleman
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Gail, we are currently using a tripod for our satellite but are having a roof xounted unit installed toxorrow so you can draw your own conclusion as to our feeling for the tripod way of getting reception. For our cell phone we are using the Verizon xobile office, which is nothing xore than dial up which although rather slow, we use it for internet access on our free nights and weekends so it is very cost effective as the set up is only a one tixe charge of $40.00 for the prograx disc and connection cable. Sorry about all the X's but the key for the letter that should be in those positions has just frozen up so I have to get the laptop to the repair shop.
Mel & Connie
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Well, Mel answered the question about the tripod vs. roof mount. Personally, I am tired of having to drag things out and put them back every time I move...one more thing is just one more thing. I guess I'd like a roof mount thing, but then, I haven't scoped the parking at my land in CO yet. We'll see what that's like.

Hi Charlotte! I haven't made it out of Arizona yet! <grin> I'm getting close to New Mexico! LOL. I have a cousin in Sierra Vista (South East of Tuscon) and I just came back from dinner with him and the family. I am also attending a meeting of AGS, the folks that make those park guides. Considering an opportunity there.

So I am in Benson AZ at Butterfield's RV park and I MAY go to the gem/mineral show tomorrow. I am going to put my travellogue in a separate thread as I am derailing this one. Glad to see you made it home safely, if a few dollars poorer, Charlotte. :) I like that little portable tv idea. But I think I have enough tv. I need radio solutions. Another reason to consider satellite. I miss my radio.

As for the theme of this one, I guess it comes down to either convenience or $. the more convenient (like satellite internet) the more $. Or you can use a patchwork of service together to do all you want. I wish things would improve. Moto Sat needs competition. There just are not very many portable, inexpensive, high-speed internet options at this point. I wish that would change, I am SO spoiled by high speed at home.

There might be more info re: internet satellite or whatever on the yahoo lists by that name. if you are interested, let me know and I'll get the name of the lists for you.

Trish
Linda Giuliani

Post by Linda Giuliani »

We used the Verizon cell phone hookup for our internet for awhile until we had the Datastorm satelite unit installed on the roof. The only problem with the cell phone hookup was we never had a signal where we camped! We like to stay in state and national parks and cell phone service is sparse or doesn't exist. Whenever we camp along a freeway in a private park we are more likely to have service. But even then service is spotty in many places (like Colorado) once you get away from major towns.

We used to love the shady spots for camping also. But the tradeoff for us was my husband being able to stay connected to handle his consulting business. The cell phone just didn't work in enough places for us. We still camp in trees, just no trees to the south.

We considered the tripod, but ended up spending the money for the roof top mount since Greg didn't want to mess with hauling the tripod out and getting it set up and manually getting it to function every time we moved. However, tripod sales have gone through the roof because they are so affordable. Our justification was that Greg needed to conduct business or he couldn't travel. Another justification would be if we were full timers or took long, extended trips (which we hope to do).

The roof top mount was VERY expensive, but it works everywhere where you can see the southern sky. I call ahead to campgrounds to see if they have an appropriate space for us. So many folks have dishes (tv or satelite) that park employees we've encountered are usually informed about southern sky spaces. We usually have trees around us and can even have them over us, just not between us and the southern sky. One tiny branch or telephone pole can cause us to move the coach a foot or two. We managed to find spots in Arkansas where trees abound. But I think we will have difficulty in tall, piney forests.

This all boils down to how much you need to be connected, how much money you can spend and where you like to camp (along major highways /good sized towns where cell phone service exists, or out in the boonies). There is no perfect solution!

Now that we've spent all that money on our roof top dish I want to spend even MORE money to get solar and a heavy duty inverter installed so I can shut the generator off! There's no limit to the toys we want to attach to our toys!
Linda Giuliani

Post by Linda Giuliani »

Gail, in response to your biggest concern about suitable camping sites with a mounted satellite dish, I would have to say it is always a consideration for us, but hasn't altered our travels significantly. I know some areas are deeply wooded with tall trees and there might not be a space for us at all, or it could already be taken. The southern exposure spots are very popular because so many of us have dishes(whether for tv or satellite). We only found one park in Arkansas where we couldn't stay because those sites were taken. In another state park here in Texas we got the one and only spot that would have worked, and we got that by shear luck. At Big Bend National Park I had to select a spot from a drawing on a web site and just got LUCKY! Yes, the dish does complicate things but for us it wasn't an option since the cell phone just didn't give us consistent service.

Would we install this again -absolutely yes. Does it complicate our site selection - sometimes. Do we miss camping in the trees - no because they are all around us, just not to the south. Will there be places we can't stay - absolutely yes.

Good luck!
bc2000harley7

Post by bc2000harley7 »

Thanks, Mel & Linda, this was just the kind of advice we were looking for. We are calling Camping World tomorrow to set up an appointment to install the roof top dish. Am glad to know that the inconviences are minor compared to the hassle of putting up the tripod.

We also like the state & national park camping and the weak or no cell phone signals will probably be a problem for us too. I saw a cell signal booster advertised in Motorhome magazine that is supposed to increase your range up to 60 miles. Anyone tried one of these?

Gail Coleman
2005 26RB
Judy Harris

Post by Judy Harris »

Gail, we have a roof mounted dish but don't throw away your tripod. I have considered getting one because we have been camping several places where we couldn't get reception. We spent 45 minutes one day repositioning the BF for reception on the only site in the campground where people could get satellite so that we could watch the Tour de France. I sort of felt like an idiot. But, the roof mount is really easy and I am very glad we have it. One downside to Directv is that if you don't use it for about a month, it has to be rebooted by Directv. We can't get reception at our house (in the woods) so we go through the procedure when we haven't been on the road for a while. So long as you are where you can use a cell phone, it is not a big deal. You need to call Directv and they reactivate your receiver after you acquire the signal. I don't know if Dish is different. Good luck!

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”