Newbie BFT and spare tire query

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

joelg31

Newbie BFT and spare tire query

Post by joelg31 »

Greetings fellow leaping Lions;

We just got home to NM with our new to us 04 BFT. It was a great trip and are loving our new BF. I have been lurking on this site for several months profiting greatly from you generous Lions.

I think I have read every post regarding the spare tire issue. The fabricated one for $230 looks good, but...

I have only read one post in which the person mounted the tire to the ladder, while resting the weight on the bumper. I'm OK with the loss of the ladder and the bumper storage compartment. What am I missing here?
It seems simple not to mention cheap. The bumper and the ladder are certainly strong enough.
You keep the under bed storage. The back door swings open fully.

Help.
Clueless in Santa Fe. Joel and Val
Peter Robinson

Post by Peter Robinson »

Joel and Val, Having recently returned from a spareless 7,500 mile BFT Alaska trip and having completed a 3000 mile spareless Baja down and back trip, an Oregon Trail trip, several short trips, and more than one W to East coast and return trips it seems to me that the question is also, does one really need a "spare tire" even if on the roof, or underbed storage, or at the rear with its overhanging weight? How many BF people have ever had a blowout or even a puncture on current good tires? Do we really want to change a tire of this size ourselves and do we have the proper tools? Is road service a better option given the general availability of tires of the size we need for our BFs if we need a tire change? If road service can't do what's needed can smart cell phones and credit cards bring anything we want right to us when we need it? Are we truly ever isolated from tire assistance? If a rear tire problem can we slowly get to a shop on the remaining dual? If a front tire problem or tire leak are "plug" type on the road puncture kits and onboard compressors a needed item to carry? I decided on no spare as have many others but of course you never know and as they say, "that's where the rubber meets the road".
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

I had a total tread separation with my previous Chevy G30 class c motorhome on its first trip, on 17000 mile, 8 year old bias ply tires. We were within five miles of home on a thousand mile trip, I was half sleeping on the bed right above the inside rear tire that threw the tread, a heck of a noise, we pulled over, looked, I decided to go slow on the surviving rear tire, the naked one still had air in it. Put the spare on in my driveway. Nothing an average person couldn't do, at least on a firm surface, might need a pipe for extra leverage on those over tightened lug nuts. Ordered 7 Michelin radials right away. That was my only motorhome tire failure in 20 years. I had the rubber valve extenders fail on a short trip, didn't even notice the flat until I got home, and saw the tire looking different. Removed the extender, inspected both tires, re-inflated it and was lucky, neither tire was ruined. Threw the extenders away. My newest car has no spare, it comes with plug kit and a compressor in the trunk. Haven't had a flat in a car since the 80's. My bicycle, that's another story.

Bottom line, I don't worry about not having a spare with my Born Free. You can limp along with a bad rear tire a short distance, and if a front goes, you can move a rear up there, probably an hours worth of work, if you have a jack. But I don't drive in very remote areas, where it can be a many hours to the next tire service center.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Hi -- The only time I carry a spare is when we go to Alaska and then I have a mounted spare put on top by the rail -- we have made many trips to Alaska and have never needed the spare BUT there are many areas that are far to a repair place and I feel safe with a spare -- as soon as we get home the spare comes down until our next trip to Alaska -- have fun in your BF
gwb36

Post by gwb36 »

I had a rear separation at 19800 miles 33 months.
Have always had Pressure Pros and no previous incident with the tire.
Surely glad I had a spare tire and able to get a service truck to mount it on a Sunday morning 40 miles south of Montgomery Al.
George W Becker
2015 Born Free Triumph w/slide
Birmingham Alabama
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

No tire failures to date 60,000+ miles in BF. Lots of problems previously with 5th wheel and pop-up trailers. I do carry spare on carrier mounted on hitch draw bar which is about 5 inches longer to hold mount. I carry wheel wrench, but no longer a jack. Road service folks will be counted on to do the remove and replace. I also ditched the flex extenders for solid stems. The prospect of running on a single rear tire is not appealing.
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Well, I admit to being cheap. And I'm motivated by the fear of having to buy 2 or more tires that don't match the rest because we are too far away to get a matching Michelin. I don't carry a jack or spare wheel - just the spare Michelin tire and Progressive road service insurance.

I carry it clamped to the ladder and resting its weight on the bumper. It has been there for 4 years now - literally. It hasn't been moved except to have the cover removed periodically to check it and the clamp. I am able to access the storage compartment behind the ladder where I keep a fresh water hose and I am able to use the tire as the first step when climbing onto the roof. Both functions are a little awkward but easier than removing the spare. It's covered with a white tire cover from Camping World that looks nice and I didn't spend more than $10 on the set-up - not including the tire of course.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Guy Carter

Post by Guy Carter »

It really boils down to the question, "do I want a spare tire or not?" If you do, then the mount available from the owner/vendor section in this website is a very good one. I purchased it and installed the mount myself on the right rear of the rig. Then purchased a matching tire and rim and bought a vinyl cover. I have access to the hot water heater ( 2007 BFT) and can change the anode rod without having to remove the spare. I've never had a flat yet with the BFT (had 2 on same trip with a 5th wheel). However, if I do, there won't be any issues about having to find a correct tire or get one mounted. We like to travel a lot of the 2 lane highways away from the I-States. Sometimes there is little or no cell phone coverage. Yes, this was all rather $pendy. Plus you have to factor in the weight of this addition to your rig. Better yet, have it reweighed. So, each to his own comfort level on this greatly debated issue.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”