Anyone carry spare tire on rear bumper fastened to ladder?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

joelg31

Anyone carry spare tire on rear bumper fastened to ladder?

Post by joelg31 »

Hi again;

I think my prior query missed the target. I am going to carry a spare tire(period end of discussion).
I could argue the relative value of various forms of insurance as my rationale. It comes down to personal preference.

I want to know if anyone carries it on the rear bumper fastened to the ladder. I have seen pictures and descriptions of the spare mounted in other places, but only one person mentions fastened to the ladder. I am willing to give up easy access to the roof and the enclosed hatch on the bumper. I want to know if I am missing any other down-side.

I want the under bed storage space.

I am seriously considering the spare tire mount offered by Virgil Dutton, and would like to hear from anyone who has one.

Thanks, Joel
Virgil and Anne Dutton

Post by Virgil and Anne Dutton »

Joel:

I am another one who wants to carry a spare tire and I needed it last August when I had a blowout and lost the tread on the inside curbside dual. Because I had the spare, all I did was call roadside service and got my spare installed. Had I not had the spare, they would have had to take the blown out tire back into town, mounted a new tire, if they had the proper one, and then come back out and install the new tire. That would have taken a long time and I would have been at their mercy price wise. Another time I was caravanning with my Sister and her Husband, in the Yukon Territories, when he had a blowout on his pickup camper. He had a spare, which we put on, but not wanting to continue without another spare, we spent two days in Whitehorse waiting to get a new tire delivered. It was an unusual size tire. I just feel a lot more comfortable with a spare tire.

As for the spare tire carrier I make and sell, I know of someone who bought one and then sold his BFT before installing it. He still has the carrier, which has never been used, and I believe he would sell it to you for at a reduced price. Yesterday, I emailed him and suggested he contact you for a possible sale. If you do not hear from him in a few days, contact me and I will sell you the last one I have in stock for a reduced price. Sales have slowed down to a pace where I am going to discontinue them as soon as I sell this last one.

Virgil
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
Mary Ann

spare tire for Born Free

Post by Mary Ann »

I have owned 4 Born Free Motorcoaches...loved each one. My first was a 22 BFT, and I couldn't imagine traveling without a spare tire, so I finally found a dealer who could find a matching Michelin tire, and had him put it in the compartment under the sofa. It was so heavy, it never moved, and I was happy knowing I had a spare. Next, on my BF 24 Rear Bath's, I had BF mount a tire on the roof. Worked great...never had a blow out. I do have road Service, so I didn't worry with how to get it down or mount it. Now, i have a 09 BF 28 Rear Side Bed Wide Body, with the Chevy Chassis. I love it, and do not have a spare tire. I have driven approximately 56000 miles total, and have quit worrying about blow outs. The tires are great...just keep them properly inflated, watch for aging, and go rving! This BF has Air Glide, and now has Billstein Shocks. The ride is superb. I just drove all alone from Port St. John Canada to Colorado Springs, then home to Florida and really love the way my 28 drives and rides.

Mary Ann
Don Cannistraro

Spare tire

Post by Don Cannistraro »

Joelg31;

Not 100% sure. but I think I remmember one instance where the owner rested the tire on the back bumper and the fastened it to the ladder. The weight of the tire eventually loosened the screws that held the ladder to the M/H.

If Virgil's would fit on your coach. as I remember it was well designed and did the job nicely.

don

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”