Why is BF $38K > LD ?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

mchlfnd

Why is BF $38K > LD ?

Post by mchlfnd »

Hi,

In looking at the BF and LD websites for a 27 foot motorhome, BF seems to be $38K more. Is it due to labor rates, materials , time to build, dealer markup ? I would appreciate hearing what you think?

Michael
Rob

Post by Rob »

It seems to me that each vehicle appeals to a different audence. I see the Lazy Daze as great floorplans but not current in styling or interiors. The Born Free to me is more current in terms of styling and interiors. The issue of roll bars is important to me. Why is the Born Free much more expensive? I don't have an answer.

I purchased a used 2003 24RB and have been very satisfied. I am sure you could find Lazy Daze owners who feel the same about their vehicle.

Rob Beery
2003 24RB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Just looking at the posts about the 25 RB with slide you can see that BF probably puts more dollars in R & D. Lazy Daze added perhaps two new models in the past 10 years while a rough for BF is at least four. Both used the Chevy Kodiak chassis until it went out of production. I also know that the price of the BF has increased significantly more than the LD in the past 10 years. So if the price differential 10 years ago was in line then it is out of line today unless other costs of development and production are now more expensive for BF. Perhaps BF workers make significantly more that those at LD, but it is hard to imagine that costs of production in Iowa are more expensive than the Los Angeles metropolitan area. We can never really know what makes up the price differential. We can only speculate. Both are privately held companies so they are not requred to make financial information public.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

One other point that makes one wonder why the price differential is so significant is that both BF and LD have the same Ford engine and chassis and similar in costs, if not identical, appliances and other RV components such as toilets, sinks, etc. I think BF seats and couches are of better quality, than LD however. The craftsmanship in wood components is better in BF motorhomes. So some price differential is to be expected, but I still feel the large price differential cannot be explained logically.
BF can ask and sell their motorhomes for more probably by their reputation for quality, just as some automobiles sell for much more than others because people want the prestige of owning the "best."

I think I am musing too much on this subject, don't you? :D I've just got to let it go. :roll:
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
GlennC

Post by GlennC »

I would think BF's recent switch to listing negotiable inflated prices compared to Lazy Daze's one-price-for-all philosophy would account for a large part of the price difference.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”