Generator Problem rats nest

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

lafons

Post by lafons »

Has anyone had this problem. How can we keep rats out of our born free generator. A rat built a nest in less than 2 weeks that broke my ignition rotor requiring removal of the onan unit and fairly extensive repairs to fix the unit. The unit is stored outside under a shed and this is the first time I have ever had a problem. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or suggestions on how to keep it from happening again. :cry:
Steve,2001 26rsb
East tennessee
Sab & Ann

Generator Problem, rats nest

Post by Sab & Ann »

I have been using moth balls for the last six years and they seem to be effective for us. I also use them for the refrigerator and the hot water heater compartments.
If you have GMAC RV Insurance, they will pay for the repairs. The repair shop must have preapproval before the repair can be made. Progressive Insurance will not pay for the repair.
Sab & Ann
2000 RB, E450
lafons

Post by lafons »

Thanks for the info. I am making the repairs myself but that would have been good advice on the insurance if I had thought to ask earlier. I could have saved myself a lot of time and work.I have used moth balls as well but never thought to do the generator compartment. Thanks
Steve,2001 26rsb
East tennessee
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

Ditto on moth balls. 10 years outside storage in AZ. They go in medicine bottles under hood, ref, water heater. Gen area might be a good addition. Never any rodent damage (fingers crossed!) although one "no problem" nest was constructed on top of transmission case.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

If you exercise your generator by running it a couple of hours each month, as recommended to keep it in shape, is it likely that you will have a problem with rodents?
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

I have used coarse copper wool (copper doesn't rust like steel) around wire and plumbing passages. It is an effective permanent fix for these small openings. It will probably work around your generator if your compartment openings are small enough to wedge the copper wool in place. I haven't needed to do this around my Generac - it's very tightly fitted.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Charlie & Nancy

Rodents

Post by Charlie & Nancy »

We had a pack rat get under the hood of our Malibu once at the lake...We cleaned up the nest and then put a big glue trap in it's place, but that might be a little too sticky for the RV compartments.
lafons

Post by lafons »

Thanks to everone for the responce. Looks like the old moth ball trick is what most of us do. I apprecate the tips, I'll add a couple of locations to those I have been doing for years. the engine compartment and the gen-set area as well as behind the refrigerator sound like good advice.
I'll add that after I seperated the generator from the engine I found out how big the problrm was. The nest was very big . More paper,grass and other nesting materals than would fit in a quart jar. This large nest was built in less than 2 weeks and when I started up the gen for exercise It simply broke both arms off the plastic ignition rotor. The rats had also started to build in the control box which houses the outside start switch. Its amazing where they can get and how much damage the can do..
Steve,2001 26rsb
East tennessee
Charlie & Nancy

Question re: moth balls smell?

Post by Charlie & Nancy »

When you put moth balls in the outside compartments, can you smell them inside the coach? Do you leave them there when you are using the coach or just when it is stored? I hate the smell of mothballs!!

I would like to ask Mike where he gets copper wool? That sounds like a better smelling solution. Mike can you e-mail us with the answer?

Thanks!
Sab & Ann

Post by Sab & Ann »

Have you tried "Fabric Softener Sheets"? We use them inside the Born Free and does an effective job. It may work in the various outside compartments as well.
Sab & Ann
2000 RB, E450
bigdipper

Re: Question re: moth balls smell?

Post by bigdipper »

Charlie & Nancy wrote:When you put moth balls in the outside compartments, can you smell them inside the coach? Do you leave them there when you are using the coach or just when it is stored? I hate the smell of mothballs!!

I would like to ask Mike where he gets copper wool? That sounds like a better smelling solution. Mike can you e-mail us with the answer?

Thanks!
I detect no mothball odor inside after storage for several weeks.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
Mike Jean Bandfield

Re: Generator Problem rats nest

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Sab & Ann wrote:Have you tried "Fabric Softener Sheets"? We use them inside the Born Free and does an effective job. It may work in the various outside compartments as well.
Sab & Ann
Back in '94 before I stuffed the copper wool around the pipes and wires I tried the drier sheets. The mice actually shredded them and added the material to their nests. IMO, some very shrewd product manager for Downy started the urban legend on the internet and created a market for his product that will pay his bonus for the next 30 years. I wish I'd thought of it!

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”