Wi Fi and Home Network

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

CHARLOTTE

Wi Fi and Home Network

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Well, after beiing around all those folks in Quartszite with their computers (having left my laptop at home)..I decided to try to figure out why I couldn't get my laptop on the web through Wi-Fi. Having worked with and on computers for at least 20 + years..I felt really dumb that I was having such a hard time. Well, hard time or not, found out the problem with the help of a friend and now I know my computer can do it (and I almost threw it out the window and rolled over it...in frustration) and I can do it.
So from here on I'll be dragging this thing along with me...

Plus, as I was feeling really proud of myself...I stopped on my way home (after finding a free 'wi-fi' spot and testing myself)...at Office Depot and bought myself a Router and have already hooked it up between my desktop and the laptop so that now I can sit in the yard (Yes, I have a pool) and surf the web without worrying about wires or hook-ups or anything... when I'm not traveling in my Born Free...I know I'm just gonna love it....

Ever since I got home after that long trip to and from Quartszite and those terrible Santa Ana winds (35 MPH +) I had to drive through...I've kinda figured if I could do that I can do anything....thus LCD TV's, inverters, wi-fi and router hook ups...Wow! who knows what's next.... :wink:
Linda Giuliani

Post by Linda Giuliani »

You Go Girl! 8)
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I have a Dell XPS laptop and though I won't buy another Dell product because of their absolutely horrible Customer Tech. Support and customer service in general, I haven't had a problem connecting to Wi Fi now that I fixed my problem. Learned alot in the process. I'm mainly interested in being able to access the web for weather and road conditions while I'm traveling. I don't have a lot of options here in Northern Calif. unless I want to pay an additional $65 a month for internet service through my cell phone. As I'm not a full-timer on the road, that's more than I want to spend while my BF is parked in my driveway. Free Wi Fi or even having to pay a fee at Wi Fi sites when I'm traveling makes more sense for my situation.
Trisha

try Jiwire.com

Post by Trisha »

It's a free database of wifi hotspots (you can search by free/cost and/or location).

I use the old version. The new one seems to want to manage your wifi connection and I won't let it. So I won't let the program update. However you might be able to search online for your info and print it for the locations you plan to go before you go. Then you'll know where the free wifi is wherever you go.

Iowa has free wifi at it's major rest areas.
Most larger public libraries have free wifi.
Spend $5 on a "wifinder" that lets you know there's a wifi signal being detected nearby.

Most Starbucks and many other coffee hangouts also have free wifi.
I think Barnes & nobles do also.
UPS stores usually do for a small fee.
Many RV parks do now (and I'm using wifi at the park here in TX). It's $15 a week.

I still pay for at home but I'm not sure how much longer....it's starting to look a bit foolish to have a permanent home somewhere when I never go there.

:)

PatTrish
whemme

Blown Wireless Card?

Post by whemme »

Sam Ryan,

I guess I don't understand how it would be possible for the wireless card in your Dell laptop to be 'blown' just by accessing a certain wireless site.

I can tell you my experiences with my wireless equipped Avertec 3150H laptop. The wireless interface worked but I suffered very short range problems to the point that it was almost useless. It works quite well with my wireless router at home because it is located only a few feet away but hardly ever worked out on the road or even in motels that offered wireless service.

I called Avertec customer service and complained and they said a dramatic increase in wireless range could be had by purchasing an external USB Network Adapter that had it's own antenna. So I did - I bought a LinkSys Model No. WUSB54G I think for $39.95 with the $20 rebate in effect at Staples at the time. This remote device is quite small and has greatly improved my wireless range.

So my advice is that internal wireless cards seem to have range problems.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I'm gonna show how little I know again...but if I don't ask...I may never get any smarter.... :shock: So someone tell me what a wireless card is? My computer has wi fi built into it...does that mean that there's a card in it somewhere????? :?:
whemme

WIRELESS

Post by whemme »

Charlotte,

Yes, if your laptop came with wireless (also known as wi-fi) capability built-in, then it has some sort of a wireless card built-in. Laptops that came with no wireless capability can be usually be upgraded with a similar capability by purchasing a wireless card that will plug into the PCMCIA (also called the PC Card) slot that most recent laptops are equipped with. Some laptops may have two of these plug-in cards slots available.

However, based on my experience with range problems, I would recommend an external USB Wireless Network Adapter with flip-up antenna if you want the very best wireless range.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
w5vthdonb

Post by w5vthdonb »

I have used my laptop the old fashion way I guess. I just use my Cingular cell phone conected to my lap-top and go on line through AOL on the road. I just subsribe to AOL when we go on the road and take their cheap plan. Here where we live there is no direct line to AOL. I also have a mini keyboard for the phone which is easy to send text messages as my age doesn't see the small buttons on the phone.This system may be slow but on weekends and after nine PM if I want to search who cares. I have the Nation wide plan and have no trouble even in WY, UT, CO, SD, where Cingular if not present.

I also use the computer for my GPS, using the DeLorme mapping program.

The only problem I have found with DeLorme if the road doesn't show up in red when I travelled with the 40 foot diesel, I take caution when they show up in blue, as we were in Florida and the pavement went to sand and we had to disconect the toad, back up and turn around. The piece of road was only five miles but not made for large rigs. The mapping was great as we just went six miles out of our way and was on a red road again.

Their system is great except you have to use your lap top which was great on the large dash of the diesels but not to good on the Born Free.

Don USN ret.
2002 26' RSB
1987 Cabriolet Convertagle Toad
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Don..I would do the same through Verizon (using the service to connect to the web)..as you do with Cingular. Except that Verizon wants an additional $65 a month for web connection on top of the $55 I already pay for my phone per mo. That's what I meant in my previous post. That's why I wanted to test & try my wi fi capabilities with this computer so that I could get web access while traveling. As Trish has said there are plenty of 'free' wi fi connections and some you have to pay for while on the road. However, that fee is minimal when you compare it to the fee Verizon wants.
I'll have to check with Bill about the booster antenna...that appears to be something I might need.....
Linda Giuliani

Post by Linda Giuliani »

Charlotte, we use Verizon and before we went with a Datastorm satellite internet connection we used our Verizon phone to connect to the internet. We initially bought their "high speed" internet service for the monthly extra charge but it was my understanding that once we cancelled that service we would still be able to connect at the slower speed and eat up our minutes in our plan without incurring any additional monthly charge beyond our regular phone plan. Our concern with that wasn't the speed so much as the fact that we would be eating up too many minutes during the business day by connecting to the internet. In a perfect world it would have worked fine if we connected to the internet after 9:00 p.m. and on weekends where we have unlimited minutes. But we installed the satellite dish and haven't tried using the Verizon hookup since. So my memory may be faulty.
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Hi Linda...I don't think your memory is faulty...However, tho in Southern Calif. you can use your Verizon phone to hook up to the web without any additional chges other than if you use all your minutes up per your plan, then of course you pay for the additional minutes...anyway, here in Northern Calif. Verizon doesn't offer that service. They told me that I would have to have a separate plan...just for internet access...in addition to my regular cell phone plan and the cost would be an additional $65.00 a month. I just can't see paying that when my coach sits in my driveway a good part of the year...That's why I checked into Wi Fi connections. Anyhow, I can understand your situation as your needs are different. But thanks for the input...When I was in Quartszite, many people told me that some of the infor. & questions I've posted really helped them too...I know I get 'wordy' but that's how I am...I just hope these posts continue to help others...

Take care...thanks for sharing
Char
Jim Hofmann

Post by Jim Hofmann »

Charlotte, I think you may be missing the point being raised. If you have Verizon wireless service, you can dial up whom ever you please. So if you were to subscribe to a dial-up service (I use Verizons dial-up service when on the road and then cancel it upon returning home) you could dial up the service you subscribe to and pay nothing additional to Verizon. I guess the point is- don't confuse DSL with dial-up.
Hope I haven't added more confusion.
Jim
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Jim....I don't have dial up service nor do I have DSL...I have Comcast Cable for my ISP and they do not have any service outside of my area (or as they told me...a 50 mile radius) that I could use or dial to for web access. I have investigated all kinds of avenues for my situation & unfortunately wi-fi appears to be my only out. However, if I have overlooked something....I sure would appreciate the input. Thanks for yours. as a matter of fact....wish it was the answer...

Char
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Charlotte, we are using the Verizon Mobile Office system and it works for us. A one time cost of $40.00 for the connecting cable to the cell phone and disc to load the program. We then connect after nine pm or weekends as those are free minutes on our program so there is no further costs. No as fast as some systems since it is dialup but while on the road it gives us what we need. Does not work with all cell phones so you need to check with Verizon as to models that have the ability to use this system.
Mel & Connie
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Hi Mel...That was the first thing I bought (the Mobile Office for $40.)..when I started downloading it stopped & said I had to call Verizon...which I did, that's when Verizon told me that the service I thought I could get, like yours, wasn't available for me here in Northern Calif.
But thanks for your input.....

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”