A new Born Free model - 25 RB with slide

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

charlesbell

Post by charlesbell »

Today was the first day of the Tampa, Florida RV show. To my pleasant surprise I saw a new Born Free model, the 25' Rear Bath With Slide. There were many visitors at the Born Free display and enthusiasm seemed very good.
Charles / Cape Canaveral, Florida 2013 23FL
Rob

Post by Rob »

Does it seem strange to any of you that the factory has not made any information about the new 25RB with a slide available to existing Born Free owners? Pictures and a description would be welcome.

Rob Beery
2003 24RB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

No, it doesn't seem strange. This is the way they handle this type of thing. We've commented before that we learn of a new model before any info is posted on the BF website. At this writing it is not on the website. Perhaps they like the surprise element.
Last edited by Dallas Baillio on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Hawkeye111

25' RB with Slide

Post by Hawkeye111 »

Shirley and I spent several hours at the Born Free site at the show in Tampa today. Good conversations with both Jim and Doug. Both asked for feedback from Shirley and me on the unit, and strongly suggested that they do not know when (if) the unit will go for release. Many questions on floor plans yet and some problems with spacing to be resolved.
This is definitely a prototype. BUT, that being said, the unit has many very nice features and with the slide deployed, the "living room" is very nice. The bath lost ground from the 24'RB, but Doug suggeted they already have plans to redo the bath layout, and his plans seemed to make it very acceptable. The unit is just 8 inches longer than the 24"RB and it looks really good with slide deployed or in. The drive mechanism is neither worm gear nor hydraulic, but is a rotating gear wheel engaging a notched shaft--should be very reliable. Over all, a unit with strong potential from our view point. The 22'RSK also was getting lots of interest.
purdum

Post by purdum »

Here are a few photos of the 25 slide. Sticker was about $139,000 well loaded
Attachments
25 Slide 002.jpg
25 Slide 002.jpg (59.04 KiB) Viewed 14928 times
25 Slide 001.jpg
25 Slide 001.jpg (66.92 KiB) Viewed 14928 times
25 Slide 003.jpg
25 Slide 003.jpg (49.25 KiB) Viewed 14929 times
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

A few things I noticed:

The side windows on the slide look crooked from the outside, although the wood trim around those windows on the inside looks straight. Good to see wood trim around the windows again, although I can't see any of the other windows.

Is the couch long enough for a 6 footer to stretch out on? The interior photo makes it look too short, the exterior photo makes it look longer. Is there storage under the couch from the inside, or maybe the slide mechanism lives there?

How do you block off the windshield? The curtains on my BF are stored on tracks behind the cockpit seats, none are visible in the photo.

What is that little thing shaped like a light high up on the side near the back? There is another by the cabover side window too. Clearance lights that are not red like the lower ones?

Is that a second stereo below the TV? Maybe the TV plays through it for better sound.

The recessed stove top looks like is more out of the way than mine, although the casual elegance recessed stove used in the past looked quite nice too.

Is that one equipped with a generator? My BF has it where the slide is, it must be on the other side or not equipped on that particular one. Hope it is not missing because of a weight issue.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but those hickory cabinets don't hit my eye well. At least they are optional. The new Ford dash and chrome beak (grill) also doesn't quite do it for me either, I do like the fake wood BF applied to my dash much better than all that gray. I'd paint the upper part of the grill white.

Bravo to Born Free for looking to increase market share, there are many buyers who demand a slide out. (I'm not currently one, but that's me.)
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
John S.

Love the new look

Post by John S. »

Love the new model's wood.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I'm wondering (from the photos) if when the slide is 'in', if you can still walk to the bathroom area or if you have to exit the coach in order to do so. Looks like it would be a pretty tight 'squeeze' if from the inside ?????
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I'm with Charlotte. I would like to see an inside photo with the slide retracted. Lifestyle dictates whether or not you like a slide. For me I would not want one.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
whemme

Post by whemme »

Can I assume that this model still had the 3 roll bars?
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Hawkeye111

Roll Bars

Post by Hawkeye111 »

Great question, Bill. I did not notice nor did I ask. It seems though that the front of slide would be just after the forward bar and the rear of it just before the middle bar, but need to talk to Jim or Ed to assure.
Jay
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

The roll bars are important, I agree...but I still wish BF or someone who has seen this new coach with its 'slide' knows if one can access the rear while inside the coach when the slide is 'in'......As a solo driver, I certainly would want access without putting the slide out, to get to the bathroom or whatever while on the road..... :?
charlesbell

Post by charlesbell »

Charlotte: While I can't answer your question directly, Mr. Spencer (BF President) mentioned that the pull up table could be moved to the corner (As in the 22 RSK) and one or both of the two chairs could be deleted (as I did in my 22 RSK). With the front passenger chair swiveled to face the table this optional modification would make for a very large living area and adaptable for other uses (animal cages, for example). Regardless, I believe the slide is sufficiently deep to walk around the bed, however, you would have to confirm with Born Free. You are probably aware the sofa is not the traditional BF sofa, but is an "air bed" for improved comfort. This is a nice floor plan with lots of potential.
Charles / Cape Canaveral, Florida 2013 23FL
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Charles....thank you for your reply....I have owned my '99 RSB now for a number of years. I have also watched as the prices for RV's in general have gone up & up. I've noticed that even with prices going up, some of the standard features are now 'extras', so more $$$. The quality of the BF is (IMHO) still the best in the business. My coach though 11 years old now & I do maintain it religiously, still looks as good (if not better..due to the improvements I added at the factory) to this day. Matter of fact even though it's somewhat of a $$ hardship for me right now, it is in enclosed storage about 15 min. from my home. So unless I win the lottery, I'll be driving 'Miss Daisy' for a few more years & enjoying the quality that was built into it years ago....There's no way in the world that I could afford to buy a new one today, slide or not...My comment is because there are RV's out there that once the slide(s) are/is 'in'...you cannot access the rear. You have to wonder what idiot engineer designed such a floor plan. Obviously not one who RV'd...So my comment was made with that in mind to alert others of what could be a real problem. I assume that when these RV's are displayed at shows those slides are out to give the impression of all the room available...Few buyers (I think) consider how the floor plan will work with the slides in....Anyhow, that's my 2 cents... 8)
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I can think of many, many situations when I would use the BF while stopped for a short while or even overnight when I would not want the bother, complication, or lack of quick mobility the slide would present. For example we stop at rest areas for an hour or so, walk our dogs, make coffee, eat a meal, etc. Why would I want the complication then? If we spend the night in a Wal-Mart or an -out-of-the-way Forrest Service or similar campground I like to be ready to leave in a very short time. I've even left the keys in the ignition and slept with a flashlight by my side so that I can make a quick getaway if necessary. So I would be living with the slide in more than with the slide out. It would be in the way and the little extra floor space I would gain when it is out would be far offset by the complications of a slide. Not to mention that the interior just looks plain strange when the slide is in. In this case windows so when you sit on the couch you can see the kitchen sink? And one final point -- everything is subject to malfunction. If the slide malfunctions while out you are just as immobile as if your engine is dead. You are not going anywhere until you get the slide in. Now is that the Devil's Advocate or what? :)
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”