Questions About Wall Mounting a HDTV

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Rob

Post by Rob »

Thought I would comment.

I installed a 22" Vizio using the same bracket that Roger used. We stabilize the the TV for travel using a short strip of thick foam across the top and bottom of the TV that we place before traveling.

Have gone all over with it. Never a problem. I followed the instructions to install the bracket that Roger gave. This bracket is excellent. The best and most adjustable I have ever found. Questions? Would be glad to discuss anytime.

Rob and Joan Beery
2003 24RB
Tallcamper

LCD TV Upgrade

Post by Tallcamper »

Followed this thread gratefully!

New to us, 2004 26' RSB with old an old Analog TV. We knew we wanted to upgrade to Digital but outside media while we are camping is not a critical thing, so cost was a constraint.
1. Size does matter the smaller 15" LED TV's that would fit great, are built for confined space use and have poor, no very poor, field of view 60-80 degrees side to side so sitting at the table and at the couch the picture was lousy for someone! 19" is the minimum replacement size for quality viewing. However the installation (see 3 below) was already completed when this was discovered. We were trying to watch the Weather Channel. Difference in cost between 15" and 19" $30.00
2. Power also matters. I went directly to the importer/manufacturers of DC TV's and all told me unless you are running on the highway the fluctuations in power take their toll on the units! With start-up and turn off of the engine the most destructive time. Inverter AC is you best bet.
3. Installation, I built what might be called a shadow box inside the opening where the old TV sat. Allowed me to mount the Swing Arm further forward so the Flat Screen can swing out and around the corner post for viewing while cooking. The closed-in space behind the box and inside the cabinet door then became secure storage for DVDs, a small fan, etc.
3a. More to follow on fitting the 19" into the 15" hole later! :oops:
whemme

Post by whemme »

Lowell,

I want to advise you that choosing a larger screen size LCD TV does not necessarily change the view angle problem. If you go into a store such as Best Buy and view various LCD TVs on display, you will probably see a significant variation in viewing angles between different brands and models. A larger screen size is a specification separate from viewing angle.

You can find a smaller 13" or 15" LCD TV that has a wide viewing angle but you need to check this out before selecting the unit to buy.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Rob

Post by Rob »

See my Feb 22nd post here. The swing arm I used (same as Roger recommended) has worked out wonderfully. Allows the screen to be adjusted for the viewing angle you desire. Anything smaller than a 22" screen in my view is too small even in the Born Free.

2003 24RB
Rob and Joan
bcope01

Re: LCD TV Upgrade

Post by bcope01 »

Tallcamper wrote:...3a. More to follow on fitting the 19" into the 15" hole later! :oops:
Shouldn't have been a problem - just fold it in half? haha :lol:

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Bill is spot on with his analysis. The safest approach is to use a DC-to-DC converter. This will boost voltages less than 12 volts and reduce voltages greater than 12 volts maintaining a constant 12 volts out. This should not be confused with a regulator which is only capable of reducing a higher voltage to 12 volts. A regulator typically needs at least one volt of headroom to function. Thus it would need at least 13 volts in to maintain 12 volts out.

My LG TV runs on 24 volt so I had to find a 24 volt DC-to-DC converter.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”