Insurance

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

purdum

Insurance

Post by purdum »

We are planning to register our new BF via Montana LLC. We have started looking into insurance as our home/vehicle insurance carrier is only licensed in Penn. We called Good Sam (GMAC) and got the hard sell wanting all of our vehicles and was quoted a figure. When the actual quote arrived, it was nearly double the verbal quote. Can anyone out there recommend an insurance carrier or agent ??? Thanks !
whemme

Post by whemme »

Contact and get a quote from a Progressive insurance agent. I have had coverage from them on my two different BF coaches for 11 years with no problems.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

We have had two Born Free coaches and like many others, we have probably run the gamut in insurance companies. Several years ago we decided we would try Progressive and as of this date we are still with them. We do take the AARP Defensive Driving Course every three years, and on the annual renewal date, I will call them to confirm coverage and cost for the coming year. To date, no problems and we plan on remaining with them.
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
Ann P

Insurance

Post by Ann P »

Be very careful with Good Sam. I considered using them a few years ago, but discovered they didn't do LLCs; the RV has to be in your personal name. Don't know if that's recently changed, but now I wouldn't use them anyway.

So, I used a broker agent , Thum Insurance, since they work with a lot of full-timers and LLCs , to compare companies . Decided on National Interstate. Many RVers use NI, Progressive, Aon- just be sure your agent is on the same page with you and your LLC . You can also browse on the Escapees website for comments, and there's a section on RV insurance.
jerseypete

Insurance

Post by jerseypete »

I have the same as Ann P, National, with a Montana LLC.
Good Sam will not insure an LLC unless the policy is in my name, which it cannot be in the LLC.
Charlie & Nancy

Post by Charlie & Nancy »

You might check out Allied Ins. That's who we have on our Born Free...We had it on our Winnebago before this one, too. We did have Progressive and liked it fine, but our agent said we could get the same coverage through Allied for several hundred less. We've had one claim and all worked out really well. They also insure our house for less.

When we sold our Winnebago one person who checked into Allied would have been charged about double. I ask our agent why and she said it could be because he was single, divorced, had a poor credit score or a number of different things. I think about all of those applied to him.

I don't know about the LLC, if that could be a problem or not.
joelg31

Recommend you increase injury liabilty coverage

Post by joelg31 »

Full disclosure, I am NOT in the insurance business and NOT in any way connected to anyone in the insurance business.

Depending on your financial situation $100k/300k bodily injury coverage may leave you way under insured. If you are in an accident and in any way found at fault, or partial fault and someone is injured a $100K coverage may be woefully inadequate. The insurance company will only fight to protect their responsibility the firsat $100K after that the injured party will come after you and your assets. I am sure most of us have a net worth over $100k. Check it out.
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

Sam Ryan wrote: Liability:
Bodily Injury $100K/$300K
Property Damage $100K
You might want to talk with your agent about an umbrella policy to protect you to at least 1 Million. Not that costly to go on top of your existing insurance.

Think of the value of a truck hauling eight new Mercedes, just in case you do something at fault, and are held responsible for totaling them all.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

My 2000 24RB is insured with Safeco for $430 for this year. I also have my car and house insured with them. We'll see how much they crank it up next year. :(

I find Amica commercials so irritating I would probably quit driving before insuring with them. :lol:
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

Sam Ryan wrote:Just a tip for any of you military veterans; a retired Army helicopter aviator on another forum I frequent, has USAA insurance for several decades now.

He lives in Albuquerque, NM and reports he pays an annual total of $1,300 a year for his homeowners policy, '82 Corvette, wife's VW, assorted toys/motorcycle/4X4 off-road quad.

I don't know any more details such as limits of coverage or deductibles.

Many USAA policy holders have stated that they would not leave USAA, even if they could save money elsewhere.
USAA is just about the best, we have homeowners, auto & life with them. However when I tried to insure our 2005 BF they transfered me to the USAA desk at Progressive. GEICO was quite a bit cheaper so I went with GEICO.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I have USAA coverage on my autos and my BF. I did have USAA on my motorcycle, but the costs was $600 a year. USAA referred me to Progressive and I now pay $80 per year. By having a steep premium USAA is saying they no longer want to insure motorcycles. It is also true that USAA does not want to insure motorhomes any longer. This is the reason that they refer new applicants to Progressive. I think I am still eligible for USAA coverage on my BF because I have had motorhome coverage with them since 1981. I am grandfathered in.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”