Shower curtain not prevented getting water on the floor.

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

whemme

Shower curtain not prevented getting water on the floor.

Post by whemme »

How many have this problem?

In our 2002 BF 26' RSB, getting water on the floor just outside of the shower has been a problem when taking a shower. If the white shower curtain is not positioned so that the bottom of the curtain is hanging straight down inside the shower's lower fiberglass ledge, water will leak thru the bottom of the curtain onto the floor. If the bottom of the curtain is inside the shower but is even partially hanging over the the ledge at an angle, water will leak thru the curtain in that area onto the floor.

The best solution I have found to fix this problem is to periodically spray the bottom 12" of the inside surface of the curtain with 3M Scotch Gard fabric protector. This seems to seal the pores of the curtain to prevent the water leaking thru the curtain's fabric.

However, I have found that the Scotch Gard treatment wears off eventually and I need to retreat the curtain in that area about one a year.

Anyone have a different solution to this problem?
Last edited by whemme on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Plastic curtain?

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Sam, I think what Bill H. is describing is that the water is leaking through the cloth curtain (especially where it does not hang perfectly vertical). I have the same problem in my guest bath shower in my home with some cloth curtains. Seems the water proofing applied is not sufficient to prevent water penetration. Maybe the weave of the material is not tight enough? If the curtain were made of a Gore-tex like material this would not happen, not would it happen with a plastic or vinyl material.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
whemme

Post by whemme »

Sam,

Bill's post above is correct. The problem is shower water leaking thru the bottom part of the fabric curtain. Application of Scotch Gard in that area of the curtain every so often seems to solve the problem.

Our earlier 1999 BF 24' RB coach should have had a shower similar to your 2002 BF 24' RB. The shower curtain in that unit was an accordian style plastic curtain that when closed was held attached to the wall as I remember with magnets. Evidently your shower curtain does not work the same way and may not even be plastic.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Bill I think I may have the same shower curtain and design that you have. Mine does not leak as long as the curtain is inside the shower. I've never washed ours as I've seen suggested by others. Did you wash yours and do you think that could have anything to do with your problem?
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
whemme

Post by whemme »

I have not had ever had a problem with mildew on our fabric curtain but when our original curtain started to look 'aged', rather than try to wash it, I stopped at the Born Free factory one day and got a new replacement curtain.

Don't remember what it cost but and I think it was reasonable.
Last edited by whemme on Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Charlie & Nancy

Post by Charlie & Nancy »

Not sure if this would work, but Lysol spray kills mold and mildew. So does Clorox, but it wouldn't be good for the fabric I wouldn't think.
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

I installed these sticky clips that keep the curtain inside the shower.
2005 26' RSB Casual Elegance

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”