Drop receiver

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

ejcoopr443

Drop receiver

Post by ejcoopr443 »

New to the forum and also to RVing.

Got our 2001 26 RB April 2010. This year we are planning on towing our '09 Honda Fit automatic. I have installed a Roadmaster base plate on the Fit. Got a Roadmaster Falcon All-Terrain tow bar. Now I need a drop receiver whose stinger is long enough to align with the BF receiver hitch pin hole at 11 1/2 ". Haven't been able to find one that long on the web. Probably need 4" drop to keep the bar level.

Thanks,

Ernie
whemme

Post by whemme »

Ernie,

Click on this Blue Ox website linK: http://www.aemfg.com/Accessories/droprcvrs.htm

Then consider their BX88194 Class III, 5,000 lb., 4" Extended Rise/Drop Receiver.

Give Blue Ox a call on their toll free 888-425-5382 to verify that the extended pin depth will work with your Born Free hitch which I am pretty sure it will since the stinger length is 14". I use this exact same 4" drop receiver between my Born Free hitch and a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu toad using a Blue Ox tow bar.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
ejcoopr443

BX88194 7 inches to hitch pin

Post by ejcoopr443 »

Just called Blue Ox. The BX88194 pins at 7 ". The service rep says that a long strange tube. Most are at 3".

Thanks for the pointer.
whemme

Post by whemme »

Sorry that Blue Ox drop receiver will not work for you. Sure seems it should if you look at their drawing at website link: http://www.blueox.us/PDFS/BX88128.PDF

The drawing for the BXBX88194 shows the length of the stinger to be 14" so it is hard to believe that the pin hole is a a depth of only 7".

You might be able to us their drop receiver anyway by drilling a new 5/8" dia hole thru the stinger at the 11.5" depth that you need. I can't remember for sure because I got my drop receiver 11 years ago but I may have had to drill the new hole in my own receiver. If you do this, make sure to drill the 5/8" hole precisely centered and straight thru both sides to make sure the pin suppled will insert properly.
Last edited by whemme on Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
ejcoopr443

Looks like BX88194 is plenty long.

Post by ejcoopr443 »

I took a look at the pdf and the drawing shows 14" overall length. The hole is toward the end. The BF receiver tube is 12". Wonder if the phone rep made a mistake. I'll check again. Certainly would be super if the drawing is correct.

Ernie
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

I use an adjustable drop ball mount made by Master Lock. There's a link below but I bought mine locally as opposed the website shown. It fits the longer shank length on my 2005 BFT.

http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Mas ... 841AT.html
whemme

Post by whemme »

Unfortunately he needs a drop receiver to work with his motorhome mounted tow bar. A drop ball mount will not work for him.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
ejcoopr443

Post by ejcoopr443 »

Another Blue OX phone rep verified that the BX 88194 shank length is 14". They no longer make it. I ordered a new one from American RV Company.
We'll see how that works out. First purchase from them.

Anxious for NH Winter to be over and to hit the road ! Even with the high gasoline prices.

Ernie
ejcoopr443

Post by ejcoopr443 »

BX88194 came today. The shank is 14" but the hitch pin hole will be at 7" when inserted into BF receiver.

On to plan A... access door over BF receiver and drilling new hole, possibly vertical. Thanks to Mel Wilbur suggestion.

Or Plan B... custom made drop receiver.

It's always something...

Ernie
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

I did a lot of dithering to get proper mount for a 2001 BF. It not only was a long way to the pin hole, I needed 2 inches more for fork carrying spare tire.
Finally got one, but no not remember who. My plan B would have been to use local welding shop to fabricate from scratch. This approach should only be taken if you can really trust the welder's expertise IMO.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
Peter Robinson

Post by Peter Robinson »

There is a detailed description of buying and installing a tow and braking set up for a Honda Fit on Andy Baird's Lazy Daze web site "Travels with Andy" after he sells his first Lazy Daze, "Gurtie" and buys "Skylark" a newer Lazy Daze and a buys a Fit.
http://www.andybaird.com/travels/skylar ... towing.htm

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”