Transporting a firearm in your RV

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

Transporting a firearm in your RV

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I've been reading on the web about the various local, state and federal laws regarding carrying a firearm from state to state. From what I've read there really is no legal way to do so. Laws vary so much from state to state that you are almost certain to be in violation if your travel involves even passing through several different jurisdictions. I read on this site recentlly of an individual who carried a hunting rifle into Canada and explained how he registered it there. From what I have read hunting rifles are subject to as many, or more, restrictions as handguns. For example it is illegal in some locations to have a hunting rifle in your vehicle at night or out of season.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

Highly recommend the below publication to anyone contemplating carrying a firearm in their RV.

http://rvbookstore.com/shop/detail.aspx?p=367&m=2
Bill Dodgen

Post by Bill Dodgen »

Guess I should buy that book and see how many state laws I violated carrying an unloaded 12 guage shotgun from TN to AK (and back) in my Born Free last summer. :shock:

Bill
Roger

Post by Roger »

This is one of those things for which there is no good answer. What is needed
is a nationwide reciprocity law just like for drivers licenses.

Having said that, in over 50 years of driving in all 50 states and western
Europe (in military) both in autos and RVs, I have NEVER had my vehicle
searched! As a holder of a concealed weapons permit, I often carry a
handgun in my RV. My belief is that if you encounter a situation where you
need a gun, you need it desperately! Some applicable sayings I've heard:

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away

Regards, Roger
1999 24RB
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

The most restrictive states are New Jersey and Massachusetts.

David Potter posted, on this forum, a VERY Good reference on the subject- a lot of details in it.

However, since an RV is considered a home rather than a transportation vehicle, there should be no restriction owning a firearm in the house (not near the driver seat for the most restrictive states).

Last winter in Arizona I saw,at the range, hundreds of shooters from all over US enjoying the sports (pistol, rifles, shot guns). As far as I am concerned, the Second Amendment is still valid.
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

When the law has you by your short hairs I'd like to be fly on the wall and hear what the cop has to say to some of this reasoning. Or when you appear before the judge for your preliminary hearing and offer the excuse that you have a valid permit from your home jurisdiction. Cops don't take too kindly to unlawful (in their jurisdiction) gun possession.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

Here's another resource for those who are considering carrying a weapon in their RV or on their person. The dues are a bit pricey but they don't accept any advertising so I've found their opinions/reviews are a bit more unbiased than the NRA. They also issue a free newsletter with good info on things like reciprocity.

http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/index.asp
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Bill Dodgen wrote:Guess I should buy that book and see how many state laws I violated carrying an unloaded 12 guage shotgun from TN to AK (and back) in my Born Free last summer. :shock:

Bill
We carried an unloaded 12G in our Foretravel all over the country, too. No one ever saw it and we didn't even think twice about it except that we knew we couldn't cross the borders into Canada and Mexico.
Brent

Post by Brent »

For those discussing taking firearms into Canada - please note the following link:

http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aa012601a.htm

My reading of this is that "traditional" rifles and shotguns may be transported into Canada using this process. I would welcome other's interpretations.

It would be interesting to see if anyone has the documentation saying a typical rifle or shotgun could NOT be carried through most if not all states - in the US - in an RV.

Pistols and firearms designed as anti-personnel are another story - they will likely be more limited in the ability to carry in the RV.

Most holders of a CCW permit will find reciprocity for most states on this link, also remember a concealed weapon may not be a firearm.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry ... _maps.html#
and
http://www.nraila.org/recmap/recguide.pdf

The philosophy of needing this protection and using it - even if having it is not legal is understandable; but likely anyone inflicting harm on another with an illegal weapon will have legal and civil repercussions that they would not have to deal with if the weapon were legal. Just my opinion.
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Yes, you can take hunting rifles and shotguns into Canada but if you read what steps are required to do so you will find it's probably not worth it. At least, IMHO.

And Mexico [where you might really want one], forget it!
Brent

Post by Brent »

Yes, you can take hunting rifles and shotguns into Canada but if you read what steps are required to do so you will find it's probably not worth it. At least, IMHO.

Maybe I'm more tolerant of the process but filling out a triplicate form, paying $50, and investing a couple of hours seems like a small price to then be able to legally have a firearm in Canada. [/quote]
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Apparently you are. :D

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”