Installing 6v golf cart batteries

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Ann P

Post by Ann P »

OK folks...the time has come. I have purchased a new PD 4655 charger/converter and 2 Interstate 6v (good prices for batteries at Costco, btw), and Friday afternoon is the big switcheroo here, in the Arizona desert. I currently have the original 12v Interstate, group 27 batteries and the EZ Glide tray newer model that slides out more, in my 2008 BF 24RB.

The catch is that these 6v are higher and wider than the 12v and looks like it could be a very tight fit in the tray. But some of you guys have installed Trojan 6v batteries, and the RV people tell me the 6v should be standard size. So I would appreciate any special tips you can offer, especially if you had to make modifications or whatever. THANKS!

I also want to profusely thank Bill Hemme for his help in coaching me on the PD4655/replacing Parallax complexities. RV techs aren't familiar with the special circumstances and the PD modified remote pendant. Bill has posted all that good stuff and other BF owners have helpfully written about it too.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Ann, I replaced our (2) 12vdc Interstates with (2) 6Vdc Trojan T125's, they are a little higher but fit fine. Here are a couple of pics showing before and after, I did switch to the newer style battery tray.
Steve
Attachments
6V Trojans T125.jpg
6V Trojans T125.jpg (109.61 KiB) Viewed 15319 times
Old 12v Interstates.jpg
Old 12v Interstates.jpg (114.63 KiB) Viewed 15319 times
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

What Steve said. :D

Bill
Attachments
Trojan T-105 Plus 3.jpg
Trojan T-105 Plus 3.jpg (138.04 KiB) Viewed 15314 times
Trojan T-105 Plus 2.jpg
Trojan T-105 Plus 2.jpg (173.54 KiB) Viewed 15314 times
Trojan T-105 Plus 1.jpg
Trojan T-105 Plus 1.jpg (153.15 KiB) Viewed 15314 times
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Ann P

Post by Ann P »

Thanks for your replies. I saw the photos of the T-105s last year by B & B, and that's what I'm counting on. It's the same newer Glide tray, so now it probably comes down to my battery compartment size. You both have older BFs, and my 2008 is on the new mold they came out with in Fall 2007, which had various exterior storage problems that they "corrected" the next year. We won't know if til we work on it if this will fly, but I'll post it for the next person. At least BF is now making the PD multi-stage charger a standard feature instead of the puny Parallax.

By the way, where is Jim Downing going?
dsfriday

Post by dsfriday »

Very interested in your project, also have a 2008 and you are correct, the battery compartment isn't as high as the older models. I too want to go to the 6 volt Trojan's (T-125's), have installed the new charger and it works great but, at the time didn't have the heart to start choppin on my new coach to fit the larger Trojan's. Have you seen the post, where, not only 2 but 4 Trojan's have been installed in a 2008, now that is the ultimate, but to much modification for me. Please keep us up to date with your progress.
whemme

Post by whemme »

Ann and others,

Ann called me while I was on the road yesterday asking about the potential battery fit problem with her intent to install a pair of Interstate 6V golf car batteries. I have now been able to research battery sizes to some extent.

I also have the newer EZ-GLIDE battery holder in my BF with a pair of Interstate SRM-29 12V batteries. They are a relatively snug fit width and length wise. The dimensions of the SRM-29 battery is 6.75" W by 13.0" L by 10.0" H.

The dimension of the Trogan T125 6V battery is 7.5"W by 10.375" L by 10.875" H and per Steve's post, a pair fits OK in the EZ-GLIDE holder.

I don't know the specific model of the Interstate 6V golf car batteries that Ann wants to purchase from COSTCO so I will make a guess and assume it is the model 2300UTL or 2300UT. That battery is 7.12" W by 10.25" L by 11.12" H. So width and length wise, it is smaller than the Trogan T125 but is taller by only 0.25". However, Steve's BF is an older unit like mine with a battery compartment somewhat taller than the newer BF coaches.

Ann, if I knew the specific Interstate battery you planto use, I could look up the dimensions for you.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
hrgermany

6 volt golf cart batteries

Post by hrgermany »

The new golf cart batteries from Interstate
GC2 HD-UT L-10 1/8" W-7 1/8" H11 1/8"
GC2 HD-UTL L-10 1/8" W-7 1/8" H-10 7/8"

The only difference I was told is one has a handle the other one do not.

Hans Rueckert
1995 26 RSB
Don Cannistraro

Golf cart Batt

Post by Don Cannistraro »

To all,
Because the wires are connected in series now, do they need to be shortened or lengthened?

Don C
Steve

Post by Steve »

Same length, no change!
Steve
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

What Steve said. :D No modification to wire length.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Ann P

installing 6V batteries

Post by Ann P »

This is a very late update on my big battery project. I did switch from 12V to 6V when my original 12s were dying, and not holding a charge for dry camping. I bought 2 6V golf cart batteries from Costco and had them installed, along with the PD multi stage charger, by a skilled RV tech who specializes in batteries. As feared, the 6V would not fit into the 2008 (new mold) battery compartment. He had to remove the handy EZ Glide tray, and then install a wood block & more to hold these bigger batteries in place.

This also required getting a Pro-Fill battery watering system as the only way to easily check the water level and refill . I preferred being able to simply slide the old tray out to look at each battery cell, and the 12Vs rarely needed more water. But I'd bought the 6Vs and really wanted to have them for dry camping this summer. Plus, with the new PD converter/charger, the 6v batteries will be more versatile and might last longer. The tech did say that batteries generally last 3 years, regardless of cost and type, although the usage matters as well. Another thing I learned is that my Interstate 6V golf cart batteries from Costco were relatively cheap because they were not the true RV/Marine deep cycle . They should suit my purposes though.

By the way, I'll give the EZ Glide tray to anyone who can use it and will come to Colorado (see my post in the For Sale section). It should fit in most BFs.

So, for those who have a 2008 model and want to switch to 6Vs, you've been warned- it's not a simple project. I definitely recommend the PD converter if you're ready to ditch the old Parallax but be sure to follow Bill Hemme's vital installation info.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”