Water leaks around exterior access doors

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

AJA

Water leaks around exterior access doors

Post by AJA »

Has anyone experienced water leaks around exterior access doors? I discovered some water intrusion at the under couch access door (wet carpet) and at the right side aft access door, (curled sheet goods). I don't think is coming in around the door seal, but rather around the area where the door frame meets the coach shell. None of the exterior compartment door frames are sealed with caulk, despite the fact that everything else on the exterior of the coach is. should these doors be caulked? Other thoughts?
AJ & Pat Adams
26' RB
George Boley

Post by George Boley »

Hi AJ,
I just had the same problem on the drivers side. I removed the door & frame to find water had infiltrated the edge of the plywood making up the floor underneath one of our twin beds. There was a very small bead of chalking that was hard to detect before removing the door. I also found the lower right side of the wood door frame was showing signs of water absorption, but I caught it in time. The metal door frame tends to pull away from the fiberglass coach body at the rounded corners letting the water in.

As you may have noted, the door is held against the fiberglass body with 8-10 plastic clips screwed to the the wooden door frame. After replacing the chalking with 5/8" wide flat ribbon chalking, I elected to eliminate the plastic clips and SCREW the metal door frame to the body. I used 1 1/2" stainless #6 screws, the lenght of the srews put them into the wooden frame providing sufficient holding power. Tighten them all even just to a point that would start to squeeze out the chalking. Drill the screw holes around the metal door frame about 6- 8" apart, in a pleasing to the eye pattern. NOTE: There is no wood in the corners of the rough door opening, so you either have to depend on the fiberglass holding the corner screw or drill your holes just short of the rounded corners of the metal door frame, I prefer the latter method . I am pleased with the finished product, the screws look fine, due to the even Pattern and being stainless they will always shine.

Even though the other (side) door didn't leak I did the same thing to it, so now I don't have to worry. Hope I have given you some ideas. George B
jhillis625

Post by jhillis625 »

Hello, AJ, I have experinced this problem, see my post Febuary 1. I have since noticed that the newer Bornfree's are diffrent than ours, the newer doors hinge from the bottom. I don't know whether that helps but the door frame has screws on the top side of the frame, like George discribed in his reply. I believe that I have no more leaks around the door on the right side. I have more to redo just to make sure.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”