What tools, spare parts do you carry along?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

David and Susan Bratt

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

When traveling a distance from home, what tools or spare parts do you carry along? Do you carry a spare tire?
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

As the years go by I found a small tool box with hand tools and a coffee can of electical connection and fuses has kept me out of trouble .Under the hood I put my old fan belt in a corner so I would have a spare. We do have a spare tire mounted on rear bumper that swivels out of the way of storage bin .Have fun Wayne
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

when traveling along main roads in the USA you generally are in close proximity to repair facilities however I recommend that you carry a good travel assistance like that offered thru the FMCA to cover towing , tire repair and other types of problems that we all have experienced as we travel -- I carry a spair tire when we travel to out of the way areas where assistance isn't always readly available -- you generally can find someone to physically change a tire -- I also always carry spair parts and tools to take care of small problems that you will experance if you do a lot of motorhoming --- I use plactic tool type containers for electrical -- plumbing -- cabinet repairs etc and then I carry a socket set from Sears plus other hand tools -- I see that you have a 2001 coach - I sugest that you check the dates on your tires and if they are older than 5 years you consider replacing them as age is hard on tires even if the tread looks good -- I speak from experiance -- BobN
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I carry a spare and a jack...just in case. I also carry a separate 'power supply' that has a compressor as part of it. Also, flares and those triangle safety signs to put on the road in case you stall & cannot get out of the way. Extra fuses, extra black tank connections, duct tape, a small collapsible shovel & an assortment of the tools that I assume most everyone carries. 2 way radios are nice if you happen to be caravaning. Bungie cords can be used in many ways as a temporary fix and those round metal clamps are nice to have in case a hose pulls loose. Extra batteries and of course a really good flashlight.....
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Besides a basic set of mechanics tools we carry the following special tools:
  • A 1/2" drive socket to fit tire lugs and a cheap torque wrench.
    A bottle jack and some wooden blocks.
    Spare Tire (no wheel)
    IR thermometer to monitor tires
    dial pressure guage
    12V portable air compressor
    Gloves
    Chains
    Tire repair kit (plug type for steel belted tires)
    Digital VOM
    Duct tape
    Bungy cords
    Bubble and torpedo levels
    Wire (various)
    Assortments of fuses and connectors
    Polarity tester
    A couple of knives
    Wire cutters and strippers
    Tie wraps (assorted sizes)
    Adhesive style velcro
    Cheap plastic tarp
    Flash light & lantern
    Heavy duty extension cord
    50' 1/2" rope
    Measuring tape
I probably missed a few items but this is pretty close.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”