Mileage expectation for orginal tires, shocks and brake pads

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

dsfriday

Mileage expectation for orginal tires, shocks and brake pads

Post by dsfriday »

Originally expected around 40,000 for the orginal tires, shocks and brake pads, that is about what I get on the auto. Our 2008 Born Free now has 46,000 +, tires measure between 10/32 and 8/32 across all treads, have been rotating every 5,000 miles, shocks still ride good, no signs of leaking and brake pads still have a lot of shoe left. This summer, early winter will put another 5,000 on and then change out tires before going south for winter but I'm thinking the shocks and pads will be good until we return next spring. I'm very pleased and wondering what you have been experiencing for mileage on the above.
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

I know everybody is different. On our 2001 23 RK which I just sold at 70,000 miles, original shocks were dry and fine, brake pads more than half remaining. Original tires were Firestone which I replaced prematurely due to Firestone issues in early years. Replacement tires had about 40K and maybe half tread depth.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
ddpjep

Post by ddpjep »

I have put a total of 240,000 miles on three Born Frees. I would expect tires, shocks, and brakes to last six years or 90,000 miles or more. I would also expect the engine coolant, transmission fluid, and chassis battery to need replacing soon after that. Belts and hoses (including the fuel tank filler hose) should be replaced as preventative maintenance before ten years of use. I have never touched the platinum spark plugs, but I would replace them if I had ignition trouble.

Dean
dsfriday

Post by dsfriday »

Thanks guy's for input. Will continue to monitor. but it appears the shocks, brake pads, etc. are going to last longer than my orginal estimate, however, tires are coming off this fall before going south, see no reason to switch out of the Michlens, they have been good to me.
whemme

Post by whemme »

A lot of motorhome owners recommend changing tires every 5 years no matter what the miles and tread depth are on them. I follow that advice because if a tire blows and throws a steel belted tread, it can cause many thousands of dollars damage to your coach.

A friend of mine who owned a Blue Bird diesel pusher suffered a thrown tread from a left front Michelin that had only 26,000 miles on it but was 10 years old. It blew the generator clear out of the coach and he was not able to prevent the coach from entering the interstate median causing him to scrap the coach along the steel cables dividing the median. Total cost to repair all of the damage was $125,000.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

Bill,
I second your recommendation that age can cause big problems and responded in a circumstance when original poster (as well as I) seem to be running up high annual mileage.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
John S.

tires

Post by John S. »

I will change out the brakes when they need it and have changed the trans fluid already. I am at 36K and talking with my friend who is also an ASE certified heavy mechanic, he said it is cheap protection. Heat is your enemy and there is a lot more heat in our trannies than under regular load in a large pickup. I have replaced my battery but that is because the original failed but the tires are looking good.
I have a large Foretravel too. I change those tires based on age but on the born free I am not sure on that. There are no air lines but youare right there is fiberglass. I have had blowouts on my pickup and other vehicles but they do not do anywhere near as much damage as the big rig tires. I will have to look into this and talk to the tire guys.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
hayesj29020

Post by hayesj29020 »

I'm replacing tires with the Firestone Transforce HT. I work for the SC Dept. of Corrections and that what we use on our passenger vans and maintenance vehicles. We had a lot of problems with the UniRoyals.. blowouts etc.. Been with the Firestones for a year now with no problem. A co-worker had a 3 year old Michilen explode sitting in the driveway, tore his truck up! Just goes to show.... on any given day...

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”