Stubborn mold/mildew spots

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

BFrees

Stubborn mold/mildew spots

Post by BFrees »

Getting our rig spruced up and ready to hit the road and am having a problem getting the trim pieces surrounding the coach entry door clean. There are black mold/mildew (????) spots on this trim. We've tried cleaning with 409; Soft Scrub; bleach & water solution and Tilex. The Tilex took the spots from black to gray, but the spots are still visible and unsightly.

Has anybody on this forum had a similar situation, if so, what did you use to clean the spots and how successful was it?

Should we continue trying to clean this trim or just bite the bullet and call Kim to see if it can be replaced?

Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Ed & Ann Marie
2002 24' RSB
lassen

Post by lassen »

ED....Are the spots on the trim or on the caulk? Its always the caulking on mine that gets dark and the only thing I've found that turns them back to white is WD-40. I spray it on a shop rag and wipe the caulk, comes clean.

Jack
Jack & Jan
2005 24RB
BFrees

Post by BFrees »

Jack,

The spots are on both the trim and the caulk.

I'll give the WD-40 a try and let you know.

Thank you.
Ed & Ann Marie
2002 24' RSB
bfmc4fun

Stains

Post by bfmc4fun »

Ed,

I have found that the best thing to use on stubborn stains, etc., is laquer thinner. Kim at Born Free suggested that to me.

Just remember to repolish afterwards as it will strip all the old polish off.

Good Luck.

Bud
BFrees

Post by BFrees »

My thanks to both Jack & Bud.

I'll try both methods today.

Hope one of them works, I've never seen stains this stubborn.
Ed & Ann Marie
2002 24' RSB
BFrees

Post by BFrees »

Tried both today....

The WD-40 really brightened the trim and caulk but didn't remove the spots.

I didn't have lacquer thinner , so I tried shellac thinner (denatured alcohol) and, again, it brightened the trim and caulk but didn't remove the spots.

On my next Home Depot run I'll look for lacquer thinner and try that.
Ed & Ann Marie
2002 24' RSB
jasper2222

bletchwhite

Post by jasper2222 »

I believe that is the name. It is sold in automotive stores. originally for white wall tires. It is "like" ultra strong bleach.

I used it on my born free (trim around the door) and it helped, but that was all it did, helped. If you find something that really works, please let me know.

thanks,

Richard
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Ed;

Any luck getting the black spots out? I washed mine last week, and now the black spots look worse because the rest of the coach is clean :shock:

John
BFrees

Post by BFrees »

John,

No luck as yet, but, then again, I got side tracked by numerous other projects... You know how that goes.

Replaced my charger/converter to a 4 stage, hope it stops my boil over, battery compartment is a mess. Only took 4.5 hours, but, stupidly, I decided to do it on a 95 degree day. HOT!!! Really didn't look like it would take that long by the instructions that came with the kit, but had to re-route some BIG cables. Who knew... anyway thats DONE. Will see if it stops the problem, if not, on to replacing the batteries (maybe AGM). Think I may have dropped a few pounds body weight in the process, always a good thing for me.

Lost my generator muffler exhaust pipe on a recent trip down the DelMarVa Peninsula, vibration from driving on Route 13 ripped it right out of the muffler (was rusted real bad at muffler connection anyway). Ordered and received all the parts, new muffler and associated hardware, except for the exhaust pipe, which I need to have cut and bent locally. Onan does not supply that part due to the various configurations with different RVs. I will hopefully get that done on Monday.

Also, some ongoing health issues with family members which need attention.

Going by what Sam Ryan says.... it's NOT looking good, is it?

but

I WILL NOT GIVE UP!!!!! NEVER!

Out, out damn spot.

Keep you guys posted.

Happy trails.
Ed & Ann Marie
2002 24' RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”