Bornfree Homecoming

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Gary H.

Bornfree Homecoming

Post by Gary H. »

How many are planning to attend the celebration at Humboldt?
Gary H. 24 RB
whemme

Post by whemme »

No way to know for sure. But in past similar events, the total attendance has been 100 or more Born Free coaches.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Hawkeye111

In Iowa?

Post by Hawkeye111 »

Gee Sam, Iowa is beautiful in the summer time, and as to temperature and humidity, why, it seemed to me that a good part of Texas had the same extremes! And the fellowship is worth it all!
Jay
dowellcj

Homecoming

Post by dowellcj »

According to the welcome letter Born Free sent to the folks who RSVP'd, they are expecting over 100 coaches, and about 220 attendees. Of note, they delayed the start date to Tuesday instead of Monday. There are several other places to camp within a 10 to 15 mile radius, including the Fairgrounds in Humboldt, which have electricity.
Caryl & Tom Dowell
Sequim, WA
2015 Splendor (27 RSB)
Prior coach 2008 24RB
whemme

Post by whemme »

Sam,

Camping at the Born Free factory site is strictly dry camping.

However, during two prior Born Free factory homecoming events, I have camped nearby at the Humboldt County Fairgrounds. Electrical hookups are available - both 30-amp and 50-amp. Water and sewer hookups are not available at the campsites themselves but are available in the campground area. Cost is only $10/night and they don't take reservations - 1st come/1st served.

This campground is located approximately 1.5 miles from the Born Free factory location. You select a campsite on your own and then someone will be around to collect the camping fee depending on the number of nights you will be staying.

The address for the fairgrounds is:
311 - 6th Avenue North
Humboldt, IA 50548

A Google map of the location is shown below. The entrance to the fairgrounds is designated with the red A teardrop on the map.

The Humboldt County Fairgrounds contact person is Steve Rodriguez at phone 515-332-5154.
Attachments
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png (98.03 KiB) Viewed 9051 times
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
whemme

Post by whemme »

Sam,

I guess I don't understand. The campground I was telling you about is only 1.5 miles away - not 15 or 20 miles.

I attend an event every year in early August based in Knoxville, IA called the Knoxville Nationals - a premier sprint car racing event that lasts for a total of 10 nights. It attracts drivers and cars from all over the US and several foreign countries. For the many years that I have attended, it has always been in my Born Free coach and I have always dry camped using a close by county owned RV park to dump my gray and black and refill with water in the middle of my stay.

Anyway, since it can really be hot many of those days in August, I make extensive use of my generator to run the air conditioner. As I remember last year, I put 55 hours on the generator during those 10 days and used up 38 gallons of gas out of my 55 gallon main tank.

Hey, that is what the generator and air conditioner is for so I use them.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
lassen

Post by lassen »

Bill....

Recieved the change in start date letter from BORN FREE in middle May. Included in that letter was a list of five local campgrounds. Now that list shows Humboldt County Fairgrounds at $20.00 a nite. I know two yrs. ago it was $10.00. You suppose the factory has new or wrong information?

Jack....
Jack & Jan
2005 24RB
whemme

Post by whemme »

Hi Jack,

I never received that letter so I am now concerned that somehow I failed to get on the list of attendees even though I called to register maybe 2 months ago. I have a call into the factory to check on that.

I called the Humboldt County Fairgrounds just today to get the info I posted above earlier and was told by Steve Rodriguez that the rate was still $10/night so I assume the factory got the rate wrong for some reason.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
lassen

Post by lassen »

Bill... A call to Steve would have been my next move, so thanks for already taking care of that.

You do need a copy of that letter as it gives the revised schedule and a list of other things planned for the event including an auction of donated items for the benefit of The American Red Cross.

See you there.

Jack
Jack & Jan
2005 24RB
whemme

Post by whemme »

Thanks Jack but Mel Wilbur has already sent me a copy.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Gary H.

Post by Gary H. »

I never received a letter from Bornfree, but think I have made reservations for the homecoming. Do I need a copy of the letter?
Gary H. 24 RB
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Gary, if you are not sure about registering and wish to attend I would suggest you call Kallie at Born Free to be sure you are on their list of attendees. You can reach her at 800-247-1835.
Mel & Connie
whemme

Post by whemme »

And Gary, Mel got to you just before me. I have emailed you the same copy of the letter that Mel sent to me.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”