The Future of Rallies

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Tom and Jennifer Pierpan

The Future of Rallies

Post by Tom and Jennifer Pierpan »

The Leap'n Lions RV Club exists to"promote social, recreational and informational exchange activities "per the bylaws. In this spirit the primary reason to join the Leap'n Lions Club is the opportunity to enjoy the wonderful rallies and caravans offered to its members.
Please take a moment to read Sue and Eric Sandstrom's recap of the recent Key West Rally ( find it under past rally and caravan recaps/ click on the download) which they have posted with both photos and commentary. It is but one example of the wonderful rallies and caravans organized by Hope and Gary Keighley.
The Club's officers and bylaws committee, through the proposed bylaws and policies, are currently asking the Leap'n Lions membership to restrict who may serve as an officer in our club. Gary is the Northeast VP. In addition, there is pending language to restrict who may be a host as well as to limit the locations where members may host a rally. If it is difficult enough now to find members willing to serve as officers and rally/caravan hosts, why do we want to make it harder?
We cannot comprehend how such bylaw changes would possibly promote social, recreational and informational activities for club members. To the contrary, these changes will prohibit a well-liked, effective VP in the Northeast from continuing to host rallies, thereby drastically reducing the numerous choices currently offered to members. For him to continue to do so, Gary would have to resign as our region's Vice President.
Those who attend the meeting this year in Creede, CO are the only members eligible to vote. This voting restriction should have been THE issue addressed by the bylaws committee for 2011. To date the bylaws committee has not come forward on the Leap'n Lions forum and adequately explained the rationale for these onerous restrictions that could very well damage the future viability of the club.
To those casting their vote in Creede, what do you envision as the future of the Leap'n Lions RV Club and how can you cast your vote fairly and intelligently if the subject is not discussed openly over the next month on this forum?
We encourage ALL current club officers and the bylaws committee members to explain their decision to propose such restrictive bylaw amendments so that those few members voting at Creede will have the ability to cast fully informed votes.
Tom and Jennifer
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

I guess my question would be - Does Gary retain any of the fees paid by attendies for either a Rally or Caravan- Is he doing Rallies or Caravans for profit or to cover any of his expenses? OR is he doing them and paying his own way? - From what I've heard on the " grape vine " he is not doing these at cost
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

robert newby,

That is a good question, but...

That has NEVER been stated as the reason for the by-law change. If that is the reason, then please state so. So far, I have seen NO reason given for the change. If the club officers and/or creators of the by-law changes have a problem along those lines, then let them say so.

Joe, whose opinions to not necessarily reflect those of Lucinda

P.S., in our previous club (for Roadtrek owners), the rally fees paid by rally attendees did pay for the rally costs of the rally coordinators, and this was clearly stated. It was considered a fair trade for having them take on staging the rally. If there were additional funds left over at the end of the rally, the rally attendees got a refund after the rally was over.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

I would have loved to attend the Key West Rally, but my it was at the end of college term, with the students finals and graduation, so it absolutely did not fit our schedule. The fee for all the included activities and meals seemed very reasonable, a bargain in my book. Two weeks later and we would have been there. If the host is making a bit on their work, well I am glad to support their efforts. If someone else will do as good a job for less, please step up. I wish there was a rally in the mid May to mid August window that we have, one that is in the Mid Atlantic area, but none are available this year. I very much enjoyed attending the Gettysburg Rally last year. Our retirements are a decade away, so I am sorry to say I currently am not one to attempt to host a rally, we are both working hard to fund three more kids college careers, but anyone who has the time, please offer your services. At cost or whatever profit the market will bear. I know the Key West Rally had a waiting list for quite some time, an indicator of a fee that was not excessive for potential attendees.

If the rally hosts also volunteer their time and expertise as a club officer, to me that shows conviction that would benefit the club members, something not to be discouraged, these people are volunteers, and won't have that amount of energy forever. In most clubs I have been involved with, good volunteers are in short supply. Complainers all too drive away both members and those who do the work.

Bravo to outgoing officer Mel Wilbur and his wife Connie, I met them at Gettysburg, may we be fortunate enough to have someone as dedicated as them in the future.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

According to the Club policies, every rally host is "compensated" if you want to call it that. The policies can be read from the members only section on this forum.

Every rally host is treated the same, and gets the same compensation, which is well deserved. As a former secretary/treasurer for this Club, I received all the post rally reports, which had to account for all the money collected and receipts for all expenditures. If there was extra money left after all the expenses were paid, the rally host included a check for the difference and that money went back into the Club treasury. It would be hard for someone to "make a profit" off a rally.

I guess I just don't see what difference it makes if a Club officer hosts a rally or if Joe Blow hosts it. The same Club policies have to be adhered to, the same rally recap has to be submitted to the secretary/treasurer and the same rules followed.

As a business owner, Gary may benefit by some tax write offs, deductions, etc. by hosting a rally, but why should that affect the Club in any way? He's doing all the planning and coordinating, making all the entertainment and food reservations, last minute changes, handling any crisis or emergency that come up, making on the spot changes due to weather (remember Mt. Washington last year?) or safety conditions. All that and still have time to socialize with everyone and ensure everyone is having a good time. More power to him!

So, I guess the final decision on the by-laws rests with the 90 rally attendees. Hopefully there will be a discussion on the proposed changes, and a good explaination given for these suggested changes. Then it will be up to those 90 people to make the right choice for what is in the best interest of the Club.

John
George Boley

Post by George Boley »

Bob,

As a past VP that has put on many rallies yourself, I am sure you remember the rally process, and its safeguards. But for those that aren't familiar with it, as the past Rally Coordinator I would like to share the following.

As you know when someone wants to host a rally they must get approval from both the VP of that region and the Rally Coordinator. At that point the club treasurer would send the host $500 to reduce the cost of each rallier. The money could also be used for deposits to vendors prior to the hosts receiving reservation money. In addition to this, Dodgen Industries would also host a banquet (up to $20 per rallier), one for each region per year. These monies would be advanced to the host by the treasurer upon request. These funds, along with the rally reservations, (including those of the hosts) would be kept in an account that the host set up. I know on the six rallies Sue and I put on, we used one of our personal checking accounts. Those hosts that had LLCs ( limited liability corporations) such as yourself, Gary, and Howard Norlin may have used their business accounts. That was acceptable as there was no club policy prohibiting it.

After the rally, a financial statement, including club and factory subsidies, reservation receipts, cancellation refunds and all rally costs had to be submitted to the treasurer for review, along with receipts for any vendor costs over $100. As Rally Coordinator I often reviewed the statements as well. After putting on so many rallies myself, I had a fairly good idea of what were reasonable vendor costs. Any funds left over had to be accounted for as well and returned to the club via the treasurer.

Once the treasurer reviewed the financial statement, the host was refunded his rally fee up to $400. If the rally reservation fee was more than $400, the host had to absorb the difference. This was quite often the case in high cost areas or for extended rallies. I think you will agree the safeguards are in place. If anyone is getting the short straw in all of this it is our hosts. Their time, cost of phone calls, gas, postage and print cartridges are usually absorbed by them. I know, I have been there. NOTE: Some of the above subsidies have recently been changed.

I would like to conclude by saying Gary and Hope did not approach us to put on rallies. As Rally Coordinator I recruited this couple that I didn't even know, only of their capabilities. Gary did not ask to be the regional VP, I talked him into it. Because they have put on so many rallies, they have returned hundreds of dollars to the club in excess rally funds.

Now I would like to pose my own question. If the Keighleys have taken advantage of our membership and overcharged for their rallies, how come then they have so many repeat and loyal followers, several on waiting lists. All we ask is that the club let us decide who's rally we want to go to, how much we are willing to spend to attend, and whether or not our hosts have a conflict of interest. In February of last year I stood up at the Umatilla Rally and sounded the alarm, "If we don't start to support our hosts, there will be no more rallies." Regrettably we now find ourselves at that juncture.

Best regards, George Boley
George Boley
Knowledge will never be lost, provided it is shared
Logan Mathis

Post by Logan Mathis »

As a former VP of the Eastern Division (when it was one group), Andie and I hosted a number of rallies, including the National Rally in Nashville in 2007. We also continue to host the Brooksville FMCA Rally each year, even though that is now designated as a "get together".
The national rally involved income and expenses in the $35,000 range, with an ultimate profit to the club of $503.23.
When you do that you set up a separate rally bank account to insure that all funds are handled properly. You get a campground with an excellent rally co-ordinator to handle tickets, catering, bus transportation, and many other details. You then make the 400 mile trip to Nashville about three times until you are "comfortable" that everything is in good hands.
When the dust settles, you are reimbursed $350 of the $616.75 fee you paid for your personal participation in the rally. You are not paid for time and effort, mileage, phone bills, or other incidentals.

The Keighleys should be commended for their willingness and ability to sponser the rallies they have conducted. Only if you have attended one of their rallies and honestly feel that you did not get full value for your fee do you have the right to criticize. Unlike Andie and I, who relied heavily on campground personnel, the Keighleys are the experts. We are killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

I said all that to say this. We still feel that someone is "messing" with our club and we don't like it.
Logan
whemme

Post by whemme »

Sam,

The only problem with your suggestion is that currently the 8 club member only restricted access pages of our website are read only - no way for a club member to post anything on those pages. Maybe this will change in the future.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”