Trade in current BF for new or sell?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

mockturtle

Trade in current BF for new or sell?

Post by mockturtle »

I'm planning to buy a new 24B or 22RK [haven't decided yet which] this year or next. I currently have a 2000 24RB. I'm sure I could get more selling it outright but the logistics of transferring my stuff or hauling everything to IA in my toad seems inconvenient. In their literature, BF claims they pay 'more than NADA trade-in value' for your used BF. Anyone else gone that route?
jeffcarp

Post by jeffcarp »

We just made that same decision, between a 24 and a 22 RSK. We went with the 22 RSK and placed our order a couple weeks ago. Our ultimate reasoning was that there was no change in the sleeping arrangements between the two, so we opted for the better fuel economy of the E350 vs the E450, and the 2' shorter length because of where we tend to park it / how we use it.

Concerning the trade, my response would be "why not give them a shot." It can't hurt you to receive an offer from them and then decide. If they know they are getting a new order too, that will help.

You should also consider that they are doing 20% off list right now for 2011 models. I don't have a long history of knowledge with BF, but understand that the 20% is a decent discount for them. So you may be motivated by expediency on the trade because time really could be money in this situation.
2011 Born Free 22' Rear Side Kitchen
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Only trouble with that idea is that, if I drive my BF all the way to IA to pick up the new one and then they don't make me a good offer for mine, what can I do with it then? Can't tow it back home and I'll be by myself. Unlike you, I don't live in IA but in WA, about 1800 miles away. If I sell it myself it would be here in the NW.

Will be glad to hear how you like your new 22RK. I like the holding tank ratios better than those of the 24RB and the fact that there is less rear overhang with the shorter coach on the same wheelbase. Don't care for the much smaller closet space or the bathroom sink outside the bathroom, though.
jeffcarp

Post by jeffcarp »

I am sure with lots of pictures and key descriptions from you, they'd tell you where they'd be on a trade. There is no way they would expect you to bring it to them for an appraisal. I just sold an RV and had dealers give me buy quotes based only on pictures, the VIN and my description.

As long as you are completely honest with your assessment, I'd think the trade could be a done deal before you ever leave your location.
jeffcarp

Post by jeffcarp »

I agree with you on the overhang and wheelbase. All things point to better handling of the 22 vs the 24. And hopefully I'll gain 2 mpg or so. Hopefully. The sink outside the bathroom was a plus for us, as it allows two people to get ready in the morning at the same time. But features to some are detriments to others. I guess that is why there are so many choices!

I would recommend you give Ed a call on the current 20% discount and the 2011 model year production calendar if that is important to you. He mentioned something to us, just as small talk, when we were there the other week about the 2012 models starting up later in the summer, around the time of Mr. Dodgen's big birthday party. Not sure if there is a price increase and whether the 20% discounts stays on the 2012 or not.
Hawkeye111

Trade vs. Sell

Post by Hawkeye111 »

We sold ours on the open market, through an adbertisement (also listed on the club web site). I believe we gained financially $3,500 compared to the quote from Dodgen.
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Thanks for the input, Hawkeye. Born Frees are easy enough to sell and I suppose it would be in my best interests to sell it myself. Not that I blame Dodgen for wanting to make a profit from the trade in, same as any dealer would.
Charlie & Nancy

Post by Charlie & Nancy »

One lesson we learned by selling on our own was the difference we had to pay in state taxes. With a trade in you only pay the difference between the price of the new one and the trade in...on selling it ourselves we had to pay taxes on the full $$ amount of the new one. Maybe Washington is different.
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Thanks, you guys. Hadn't considered the tax angle. Sam, I probably will try to sell it myself and plan to advertise as soon as I decide. As I said, it might be a year before that decision is made. I'm anxious to hear the experiences of owners of the 22rk. I am mainly concerned about shortage of space as I plan to spend up to six months of the year in it. I know the 24rb I have now is adequate, size-wise.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”