Toad

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

purdum

Toad

Post by purdum »

We have a Jeep Wrangler we tow behind our 27RSB. We are considering a new toad. We have looked at Ford Escape and Jeep Liberty. Chevy Equinox is too heavy and long. It must be four or all wheel drive and be able to be towed "4 down" Anyone out there have either or something else.
whemme

Post by whemme »

Ron,

I have towed both a 1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS and currently a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS and both worked out really well for us. However, you want 4-wheel drive so would not be the toad for you.

How about considering the Honda CR-V. It is one of the remaining Hondas that is approved for 4-wheel down towing and it is offered in both 2-wheel and 4-wheel drive versions. Click on the link below for further information from the factory:
Honda CR-V

The Ford Escape is also factory approved for 4-wheels down towing but there have been a rash of towing related automatic transmission failures now addressed with a factory TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) to reduce the fluid level to a minimum to prevent these failure. Click on the blue Download button on the left side of the window below to view the Ford 09-20-13 TSB for both Ford Escape and Fusion vehicles.
Attachments
Ford TSB 09-20-13.pdf
(72.28 KiB) Downloaded 341 times
Last edited by whemme on Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:00 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Ron

We have a 24RB and initially towed an all wheel drive 2004 Honda CRV. 4 wheels down. While it towed nicely, there are drawbacks. It cannot be towed over 65mph(we never exceed 60 so that was no problem), it must be run for at least 3 minutes before towing, the automatic transmission must be shifted through all the gears and in a designated manner. As I recall, another limitation is the number of miles it can be towed at which time the pre-towing exercise must be repeated. We finally threw in the towel and now tow a Toyota Corolla with a manual transmission. Much easier and so much quicker to get going in the morning.
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

My Honda CRV tows beautifully and is also a pleasure to drive. And I can carry my kayak on it, too.

bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

If you are willing to have a manual transmission. I'd give a not to Subaru, Forester or other.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I'm a little intrigued with the Ford Escape Hybrid automatic with the Intelligent 4-wheel drive. It can be towed 4-down.

I think the tranny problems mentioned by Bill Hemme were with the 2009 model year only, but I may be wrong. I'd still take a hard look at it with it's 34/31 MPG estimates. Would make a good town car in addition to a toad.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
golferdhm

Post by golferdhm »

We towed a Jeep Liberty for three years and over 30000 miles behind our 27RB and it towed fine, but it was a little heavy at 4400 lbs. It definitely affected the mileage we got, but was a great off road vehicle.
liginbf

Post by liginbf »

I have towed Jeep Wranglers and Honda's, if you don't mind the speed/distance restrictions of the Honda, I would check out the Honda Fit, light weight and good reviews. The only point I would make is finding a tow vehicle that has a tab height of the baseplate that is level w/hitch of the BF. This allows the tow bar to be level and helps for a smoother ride. Level to minus 2 inches but never higher than the hitch on BF. I am not a fan of drop/riser receivers added to the hitch to level things out. My Jeep height's where good compared to my Honda's. Blue-Ox has good ref. material on this subject.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”