Avoiding bad weather

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Tonyg

Avoiding bad weather

Post by Tonyg »

How do you all avoid getting caught in severe storms when traveling for several weeks? What happens when a campground receives a severe weather warning or tornado warning? All new to me.

Thanks,

Tony
whemme

WEATHER INFO WHILE ON THE ROAD

Post by whemme »

Tony,

My suggestions would be the following three of which I use the first two:

a) Listen to the weather reports on the local radio stations and/or TV stations while in camp
b) If you are online with a laptop, check into the online Weather Channel service - lots of weather information available there including radar maps and it is all free. Their website address is: www.weather.com
c) Read the thread on this website discussion forum on the topic: Garmin Streetpilot 2620. The Garmin 7500 GPS has the capability to obtain live weather data.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Bill Ruh

Avoiding bad weather

Post by Bill Ruh »

Hi Tony,

For weather info (most often to least often), we look out the window, use a weather radio, see if the campground posts it, and listen to local radio.

I can only think of one time when we altered plans, and that was to leave a day early to avoid snow.

Wind, even gusty wind, has never bothered us, even while driving.

At a maine campground, a mini-twister knocked down a branch on our motorhome while we were in it, leaving a slight dent on the body between the hood and windshield. But a motorhome maybe 10 sites over was demolished (thankfully no one was in it) when a tree with a 1-foot diameter trunk fell on it. Apparently another camper saw a funnel crossing the lake, but there was no time to react. There was no severe weather warning.

We did get caught driving in 3/4" hail in canada, which cracked the air conditioning shroud, but the fiberglass body wasn't damaged. The poor horses in the fields along the road were going crazy. I just kept driving (slowly), as I didn't know whether I was driving into it our out of it. IIRC, we tried weather radio stations to no avail and the few local stations were no help.

Not sure what we'd do with a tornado warning; most campground buildings aren't much protection. I guess to answer your question, we don't sweat it. Maybe we should, but we don't.
w5vthdonb

Post by w5vthdonb »

In 30 years of camping we have road out hail storms, tornadoes and hurricanes.

First you need a good weather radio they are cheap and many CB's have them installed. Most of the country is covered by these radios except where we live today.

Secound tune into the local radio stations for they will keep you updated most of the tiime. This means get off the satilite and tune into the local stations for up to date weather broadcast.

Third Use you eyes, ears and body. You can look at the sky and see things changing. In the west they have weather classes and they are free. Use your ears and body. In the midwest area of Texas and Okalhoma if the wind stops that means most of the time the weather is going to change.

If you are camping near open water like on the Gulf Coast and they tell you there is a huricane comming your way, make sure you look at an object in the water and notice how high the water is. Make a mental note and if you see this water rising over your mark fast and you are in a low lying area, it is time to depart.

Having an RV is great. We have always had ours equiped so that all we had to do is get in it and get out of harms way. We kepted it stocked with food, blankets, water, propane, gas etc. Yes we used our RV's as an emergency vehicle.

During huricane Opel we ended up being the radio comunication center for the American Red Cross. Being a Amateur Radio Operator our RV's have always been equiped with emergency radio equipment. We even had to feed them for four days, because we were ready for anything. We just happened to be at the right place at the wrong time.

Most of all use comon sense. If you are told to vacate, do so, as soon as you can. Life is the most precious thing there is.

Don USN ret.
2002 26 RSB We just sold our BF to fourwinds and they are looking forward in joing the club. After 30 years of travelling it will be a sad day the first of next month when we see our unit leave
1987 Cabriolet Toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”