mattress for the rear bed

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

hrgermany

Post by hrgermany »

I am thinking about replacing the mattress for my rearbed with one that has an innerspring.Has any body done that?and what kind to get and were from?
Hans Rueckert
Judy Harris

Post by Judy Harris »

Hans, when we were at the BF factory last month, I noticed that the 2006 RSB does have an innerspring mattress so BF should be able to supply one or at least give you ideas. I am thinking about doing the same thing but I didn't ask about it when we were there. Dumb.
Linda Giuliani

Post by Linda Giuliani »

We had a local mattress company cut and cover a 3" memory foam topper to fit the rear side bed. We simply laid it over the existing Born Free bed cushion. This was a temporary solution, but is perhaps our permanent solution since it has worked well for two years and we haven't been motivated to do anything else. The special "sleeping bag" bedding stays on top of the memory foam so we never even think about it. It might be a different story if we were constantly putting the bedding "up", but that doesn't happen for us. Good luck!
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I'm not happy with my mattress (?) either....and have put the foam padding over it and am using the Travasak bedding.
Would really love to get a regular innerspring mattress but having the RSB model...with the mattress that has an angle cut out at the foot...I don't know if they make a innerspring mattress to fit...anybody know?
Judy Harris

Post by Judy Harris »

Charlotte and Hans, I just spoke with Kim at BF and there is now an innerspring mattress for the 26' RSB. The cost through BF is $525 for the mattress, $150 for the crate to ship it in (BF builds the crate) and then the freight cost to ship it to you, which Kim estimated could be $75 to $150 or more, depending on where you live. If you pick up the mattress at the factory, it would be $525 plus 7% sales tax and any other local taxes that may or may not apply. The mattress should fit most newer models and measures 50" wide to the wall and 75and 1/2 " long to the wall, and has the 2 radius curves. The one that I saw did not have a cover and I don't know if the one on the foam mattress would fit. We are considering dropping down to get one on our way to AK in May. Kim said that he would need some advance notice if anyone wants to pick one up or have it shipped as they typically stock only mattresses for the production models. I didn't sit or lay on the mattress when we were there but it did look thicker and more comfortable.
Judy Harris

Post by Judy Harris »

One more thing - I hadn't thought about this but the mattress does have 2 curves, one at the foot and one at the head on the wall side. Also, any errors in the info are mine in relaying Kim's conversation but I think I got it right.
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Judy...Thank you so very much for the info. I will contact Kim and order one. As I am going to the Iowa Rally, I will pick it up while there. What a relief...the present mattress is like a rock so it will be well worth the money to replace it...Thanks again...
Jim & Denise Wilson

Post by Jim & Denise Wilson »

We have the inner spring mattress that Born Free was using in 2004 - I thought they were also offering a "Sleep System" mattress now. I think we saw it at the Pennsylvania show in the prototype coach. We did however put a temperpedic type topper (Costco) on it. We had to take the mattresss out of the coach so we could trim it to fit (a large serated knife works best). It is a challenge to make! And after my husband wrestled with it last weekend he said, "Changing the sheets yearly ought to be enough!". We also use some stretchy garter straps under the mattress to hold the sheets taut. We are using full sizes sheets with an oversized (Ralph Lauren) twin comforter. Having said all this I must say it is very comfortable!
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Changing sheets once a year .... don't know about that...might not be a bad idea when one considers what a job it is to change the sheets on the RSB model anyway...However, having done that in the beginning when I first got my BF....I then decided to save my pennies and buy the Travasak....It's expensive, yes....but Boy! for me it was well worth the money. It's a snap to straighten out each morning and makes for a cozy nights sleep every night. No more stretching, tucking, or going into contortions to make the bed...I love my model & floor plan as it fits my style of RVing...plus I don't worry about making the bed anymore & it always looks neat & presentable...just my 2 cents.... 8)
hrgermany

Post by hrgermany »

The mattress for the rear bed from Born Free will not fit all rear beds,I think only the very late models.Make sure you messure the bed.It will not
fit my older model<1995>.It is 74"x49" inches.I found a mattress company that makes custom mattresses.There prices depend on size and
quality.The name of the company is Handcraft Mattress Co.
Phone 800-241-7751.Give them a call and they will send you a brochure.
Hans Rueckert

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”