Brake for tow car

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Roger & Marcia S

Brake for tow car

Post by Roger & Marcia S »

Hi,
New to this sight, have just pruchased a 2007 26' RSB. That said, I need help with a braking system for my tow car , a 2005 Ford Focus ZX3. The weight is around 2600#. Do not need anything fancy. I have read about the states that require a braking system some do some do not. I thought to be safe I would add something. The most simple is the Ready Brake, has anyone used this type. Need pro's and con's. I like the KISS system.
Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Roger
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Roger.

We have a 2007 24RB, tow a Toyota Corolla and use the Ready Brake with the Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar. The first few hook ups were interesting, though not difficult. Now that we have it down to a system, attaching or releasing the car from the BF is as they put it, a piece of cake.
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

I use the "Evenbrake" and have been happy with it.

If you want simple to use, I think it is Roadmaster who makes a device which mounts under the hood, has a vacuum pump to supply vacuum to your power bake and something to apply the brakes. Nothing to install in the car when you tow. Just hook up the cable for the brake lights & drive off. Quiet a bit more expensive than the Evenbrake, I think.
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

I've heard that the Unified Brake System by US Gear is the best and easiest to use and those I've met who have it are believers. Mine is a VIP braking system which was included when I bought the used MH and it's a real hassle but it does trickle charge the battery. I don't recommend it and, if I ever take a lot of trips where I have to hook up and unhook frequently, I'll replace it.
Steve

Post by Steve »

We have the Roadmaster Falcon All-Terrain towbar: http://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/t ... conat.html
and the BrakeMaster braking system: http://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/b ... ake_m.html this setup only takes about 10 minutes for setup and 5 minutes for takedown. The BrakeMaster is really easy to use and very lightweight.

Steve
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

I have a Brake Buddy that is over 10 years old. Still working great and has been used in 4 different Jeeps. No permanent installation, so it is easy to move from vehicle to vehicle. I have never had any issues with it.

I use a Blue Ox Aventa tow bar, again on all 4 Jeeps. Just have to but a new baseplate for each vehicle, hook it up and go.

Another consideration is your brake lights. You have to choose between magnetic lights, cutting into your existing tail lights or installing separate light sockets in the tail light assembly if you have space.

It's not a cheap project :lol:

John
whemme

Post by whemme »

Roger,

As you can tell, opinions vary on which is the best auxilliary braking system to buy and use. I purchased a new Brake Buddy system back in 1999 and have used is without problems since. Probably has more than 100,000 towing miles behind it with no failures. I am also partial to the Blue Ox Aventa tow bar system having used one also since 1999.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

Brake Buddy from 2001 to present. 75,000 miles with CRV and two Foresters. Never had issues with draining toad battery.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”