trip to Nashville

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jerseypete

trip to Nashville

Post by jerseypete »

I am taking a trip from southern NJ, down south to Nashville, for a reunion, and hope that some of our members who have traveled there from the east coast will share their travels with me, about routes to take, places to camp on the way, and also at Nashville
I would like to travel the Blue Ridge pkwy, at least part of it, although I can see I will have to travel further that way. But it seems worthwhile to do it that way. At least going down. Maybe both ways.
I appreciate the help, and look forward to hearing positive messages that will be useful.
Tx, Jerseypete
Every time I rush I hurt myself :)
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Pete;

The Leap'n Lions national rally was held in Nashville in 2007. I don't remember the name of the campground we stayed at, :oops: but I'm sure someone on here will.

There is a write up under past rallies which lists some of the activities and places we went.

We took the scenic route down and spent time in KY, but we came home all the way up rt. 81. Home in 2 days.

Had a good time there, lots to see and do.

I'm sure you will get more info here.

John
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Pete, we have driven the Blue Ridge Parkway twice and love it, but budget enough time because it is slow. Speed limit is 45mph most of the way, as I recall, and there are many worthwhile stops. The park service provides a very detailed description of the route and points of interest. Park service campgrounds on the Parkway are mostly, if not all, dry camping, and there are numerous private campgrounds not far off of the Parkway. Our favorite campground in Nashville is a COE facility about 10 miles east of Nashville but it may be closed for the season already. We have also stayed in the KOA, which was okay, but expensive.

Enjoy your trip!
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

If you take the Skyline Drive in Virginia which intersects the Blue Ridge Parkway you pass close to Charlottesville and the home of President Jefferson, Monticello. Well worth the visit. In Asheville, NC the home of author Thomas Wolfe is also a very interesting stop. South of Asheville in Flat Rock is the home of author Carl Sandburg. Just to the west of Asheville along the Blue Ridge is a National Park Campground, Mt. Pisgah. Elevation approximately 5,000 ft and pleasant in the summer and fall. This portion of the Blue Ridge is usually closed due to weather in winter. Mt. Pisgah is also the site of a lodge that is across the road from the campground. Good mountain views and good food. No campgrounds on the Skyline Drive or the Blue Ridge have hookups. They do have water and a dump station.
Last edited by Dallas Baillio on Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Asheville is one of our favorite places. If you like Native American and Americana arts and crafts there is a wonderful musuem and store on the Parkway at Asheville. The Biltmore Estate in Asheville is very interesting but expensive, but we enjoyed it. There is parking for rvs. If you use Trailer Life, do not follow the ratings to stay at Bear Creek RV Resort! Very rude staff and some really awful sites. They even gave away our site that we had paid for for 2 days because we left with our rv during the day - we don't tow. We spent the night in basically the road, with electric. We now usually stay at Mama Gertie's in Swannanoa, terrace sites on a mountain, not for everyone. The whole area around Asheville is beautiful. No plans yet this fall, maybe we will see you there!
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

Dallas Baillio wrote:If you take the Skyline Drive in Virginia which intersects the Blue Ridge Parkway you pass close to Charlottesville and the home of President Jefferson, Monticello. Well worth the visit.
Even my previous dog slow 1985 G30 motorhome made it up the hill to the Monticello parking lot. Worth repeat visits, and the nearby Jefferson Vineyards provide a combined taste session and history lesson, if you imbibe fruit of the vine. Michie Tavern provides tasty old recipes in a historic inn. James Madison's Montpelier home is nearby and interesting also. You can easily spend a day or two in this area. Summer's heat and the need for A/C is behind us, camping in the Skyline Drive would be nice, no electric is not a hardship with the limited generator hours allowed.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Somebody help me out :oops:

What was the name of the campground the national rally was held at? Racking my old brain trying to remember. Was it a KOA?

John
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Jerseypete,

Consider driving the Natchez Trace Parkway that begins just south of Nashville. The most interesting site (to me) along the Trace is the spot of Meriwether Lewis' death. Mystery surrounds how he died. This drive in the fall is nice.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
lassen

Post by lassen »

John....

Nashville National Rally was held at the "Nashville KOA" on Music Valley Drive.

Jack..
Jack & Jan
2005 24RB
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Thank you. I kept thinking KOA, but wasn't sure.

I can sleep tonight :lol:

John

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”