Upgrading coach batteries questions

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

bbwolf

Upgrading coach batteries questions

Post by bbwolf »

I have the 2009 Born Free Mini. (first let me admit something; In an older post, I was provided advice that the single 12 volt house battery would be a limitation. We found some outstanding camping sites this year that have no power available, so I'd like to increase the battery storage capability).

I'd sure appreciate any advice on a modification to increase the number of batteries.

1. I found a cavity under the coach and am having a galvanized steel box with braces fabricated to hold up to 3 additional batteries. This will provide the ability to have up to 4 coach batteries in total, if wanted. The good news is that the new battery box will be only a couple inches away from the current existing house battery, so they can be connected together easily. The unfortunate part is that the 3 additional batteries will only be accessible by crawling under the RV and dropping the box down. I would use gel type due to minimize any maintenance issues. (this is the only compromise I can find).

2. 12 volt vs. 6 volt question. My first idea is to simply add (1) additional 12 volt battery for a total of 2 batteries.
- Would it be better to have (2) 12 volt batteries in parallel or (2) 6 volt batteries in series?

3. My other idea is to add (3) 12 volt batteries in parallel. Again, I will have the capacity to increase up to (4) total batteries once the fabrication is complete. This would actually allow (4) 6 volt batteries if that is a better option.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. I continue to find out how much I don't know ;)
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

The "Technical Library" forum has some good info. Here's a link:

http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... php?t=2836
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
bbwolf

Post by bbwolf »

Thanks Tom, this is exactly the info I was looking for. I did do a global search before posting but must have missed this one.

Thanks again!
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”