Garmin Streetpilot 2620

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

CHARLOTTE

Garmin Streetpilot 2620

Post by CHARLOTTE »

As I'm sure many of you who read this forum regularly know that I have a Garmin GPS. It is a real treasure for people like me who have absolutely no sense of direction. It has saved me countless hours during my traveling and wear & tear on my nerves besides. It's been my #1 favorite product that I've ever purchased (besides my BF of course). Anyway, I've just become aware of a new Garmin product (the 7500) that I would like to buy. Reason is I'm going to be traveling over most of the country after leaving the Iowa Rally and the 7500 will guide me (as a solo driver/traveler) with more detail than my 2620 gives me. So at this time I want to sell my 2620 to help pay for the 7500. It is in perfect condition & comes with everything up to date, including the remote control, etc. (I've even got the original box etc.) If any one is interested please contact me...I will be putting it on e-bay if there's no interest here...Again, it's like brand new...
mi99amigo

Post by mi99amigo »

You have a price in mind?
whemme

GARMIN 2620 GPS

Post by whemme »

Just this note to let anyone interested in Charlotte's Garmin 2620 GPS that this is one fine unit. I have used a Garmin model 2610 GPS myself for close to a year and I love the unit.

The only difference between these two models is that the 2620 comes preloaded with detailed road and street data on an internal miniature hard drive whereas with the model 2610, this data must be downloaded off of a provided CD via a desktop or laptop PC into a provided 128 MB memory card that is inserted into the 2610.

The 2620 model is perfect for those that are not computer geeks and would rather not deal with the data loading process. Otherwise the two units work the same and provide identical info to the user.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bcope01

Re: GPS sourcing, and pricing:

Post by bcope01 »

Sam Ryan wrote:...I need one with a bright backlite...Thanks
Here is an interesting web site that compares GPS screen size and brightness:

http://gpsinformation.us/joe/gpscompare ... mpare.html

I purchased the Lowrance iWay 500c a while back and have been very happy with it.

Bill
Attachments
iWAY 500C 2004 Born Free E350 006a.jpg
iWAY 500C 2004 Born Free E350 006a.jpg (57.89 KiB) Viewed 22846 times
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Bill Ruh

GPS sourcing, and pricing:

Post by Bill Ruh »

Hi Sam,

The 2610/2620 screen has adjustable brightness and IMO is quite bright.

As for road errors, it's pretty good, but not perfect. I upgraded to version7 maps, which had half a dozen updates that I wanted (Boston big dig updates, renumbered exits, new development where my wife's brother lives, etc.). The garmin website lets you preview the maps, zooming in on areas that interest you to see if they are correct.

I don't know any with 90-day money-back guarantee.

Reputable sources:

www.gpsdiscount.com We bought our 2610 here, and they also have factory refurbished units.

www.amazon.com The low-price leader for new these days.

Charlotte. :-)
bcope01

Re: GPS sourcing, and pricing:

Post by bcope01 »

Sam Ryan wrote: ...I want ALL the comparative data and sourcing, info I can get before making a sound purchase...
Sam:

In your spare time...

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/default.asp?group=2

Start out with the "English Forums - Hardware" for pros and cons on all of the available GPS receivers.

:D :D :D

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Trisha

question about garmin and great link

Post by Trisha »

The link above is fantastic. I could learn alot...

question regarding the garmin (any of them). Do they have the ability to route you to avoid low clearnaces (below 12') or avoid propane restricted tunnels?

Do they have RV routing (where they avoid turnarounds and uturns? Plus avoiding those tunnesl and low clearances?

Or is this specific to copilot live?

Pat
Nathan Cook

Garman GPS

Post by Nathan Cook »

Another source that might be good for some is Overstock.com. I was surprised that they show the Garman 2620, but not the new one that Charlotte wants. :idea:
Nathan
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Nathan...I found the Garmin 7500 quite by accident after a friend mentioned it. They have a new car with a built in GPS and are very unhappy with it & the service they're getting between the dealership and the GPS maker. they happened to be with me when I was using mine & couldn't get over how simple & accurate it was to use. Anyhow, I went to the Garmin website & found it there. My 2620 has been such a great product & so dependable that I would keep it if I were not planning this big trip this summer. The 7500 will give me additional infor. plus weather updates, etc. which I feel would make my travels safer as a solo driver.
When I returned from Quartzsite this past January, I ran into some extreme weather conditions that made driving very hazardous. Had I known the weather was going to be that bad, I would have parked until it passed. If I had the 7500 then, it would have saved me all that white knuckle driving. Anyway, the problem with this new 7500 is it is very expensive...and that's why I'm wanting to sell mine...so that I can apply that money to the new one...The fact is that Garmin puts out a marvelous quality reliable product..in addition, their Customer Service is incredible...I've called to ask a variety of questions and their Reps are always courteous, on target to help and resolve any questions you have, never hurrying you and patient without being discouraging...I simply can't say enough good things about this company. Anyway, if you wish to review the new 7500, just go to Garmin.com...
Trisha: Go to the Garmin website and you'll see what they offer in the way of abilities...With all the traveling you do..I'm surprised you don't already have a GPS...just woman to woman my opinion...you take care & stay safe... :)
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Chris Ng...I have sent you a PM
Trisha

I do!

Post by Trisha »

Oh, I do have a gps. I have one that's called Copilot Live Laptop for the laptop. Nice big 14" screen. Great maps. But rather inaccurate from what I've read...streets & trips is better (for the laptop).

hence my questions. Seems the guy who reviewed them didn' tlike this one much for mapping. But he's in Toronto so I don't know if his experience is singular to canada or not.

However, my gps program will route me around low clearances, u-turns and tunnels that do not allow propane. It doesn't know about the part of 35E in St. Paul with a 9M lb gross weight limit, though....it wants to take me that route and I can't.

So....

I can't justify buying something I already have...or can I? Seems I did last week...new toad. But that's becaues my other one was in MN and I found other ways to justify my purchase.

Wow, I'm positively chatty tonight. If I were in the market for another gps, I'd certainly consider yours! hope it sells fast so you can get the other one.

I'll have to read....

Trish
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

The below website is my favorite for gps info. It has a ton of info.

http://gpsinformation.net/
Bill Ruh

I do!

Post by Bill Ruh »

Hi Trisha,

The city navigator maps that come with the garmin street pilots have several routing options. One is to avoid u-turns, which works fairly well. Another is a vehicle type (car, truck, bus, delivery, emergency, taxi, bicycle). Set to trucks, it does avoid parkways (those 30s-era roads in the northeast with low bridges), but it's overpass height and weight limit data seems pretty spotty. It does avoid interstates for bicycles, but even that isn't perfect, because some western states allow them.

FWIW, tunnels with sections lower than the entrances (like river tunnels) typically have propane restrictions. Tunnels with entrances lower than the rest of the tunnel (like mountain tunnels) typically don't. The reason is that propane is heavier than air, so if it can pool in the tunnel, it's an explosion risk and typically forbidden. The boston, new york city, and baltimore tunnels are the only ones I'm familiar with that don't allow it. Of course, there are exceptions (e.g. chesapeake bay bridge-tunnel, which allows propane if it's shut off)...
Last edited by Bill Ruh on Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Interesting, Bill. I have been told that the Lowry Tunnel in Minneapolis (I94) is also supposed to be no propane.

I might have a go at that website listed here.
Bill Ruh

Post by Bill Ruh »

Hi Trisha,

If you want to post a trip start and end, I can see if city navigator avoids the road in st paul that you referred to. I didn't see a 35e, but then I'm pretty unfamiliar with msp -- the last time I was there was april 1983 and it was snowing...

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”