Portable truck tire inflator suggestions

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I'm in the market for a portable truck tire inflator for my BFT. It can be either 12V or 110V. Any suggestions?
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Bill Ruh

Post by Bill Ruh »

Hi Barb and Bill,

I suggest 120v. I've not seen any 12v that can handle the volume and pressure of truck tires.
bcope01

Re: Portable truck tire inflator suggestions

Post by bcope01 »

Bill Ruh wrote:Hi Barb and Bill,

I suggest 120v. I've not seen any 12v that can handle the volume and pressure of truck tires.
Thanks Bill. Can you recommend any makes and models?
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
Mel Wilbur

compressors

Post by Mel Wilbur »

I agree with Bill that a 120v is the best way to go, certainly the quickest way to inflate tires to the pressures required. Grainger supply has a reasonably compact unit, the Westward mdl. 3JR69 and can be found at www.grainger.com.
Mel & Connie
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Hi Mel:

Thanks for the info. Have you used this model?
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
Jon Pollei

Compressor

Post by Jon Pollei »

:( Barb & Bill, Grainger is Wholesale only. I tried to order one and was turned down. Maybe you have a business to order through? Lots of Luck
bcope01

Re: Compressor

Post by bcope01 »

Jon Pollei wrote::( Barb & Bill, Grainger is Wholesale only. I tried to order one and was turned down. Maybe you have a business to order through? Lots of Luck
Jon, don't despair, I found it here for $5.00 cheaper:
http://2buyitnow.com/3jr69.html

Dave and Jan and Zoey the mutt: I know you were looking for one of these in your Christmas stocking this Christmas past. Were you good all year? If so, what is your opinion of this inflator?

Thanks,
Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
Dave&JanPotter

Re: Compressor

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

bcope01 wrote:
Jon Pollei wrote::( Barb & Bill, Grainger is Wholesale only. I tried to order one and was turned down. Maybe you have a business to order through? Lots of Luck
Jon, don't despair, I found it here for $5.00 cheaper:

Dave and Jan and Zoey the mutt: I know you were looking for one of these in your Christmas stocking this Christmas past. Were you good all year? If so, what is your opinion of this inflator?

Thanks,
Bill
Thanks for the referral Bill but I wasn't very good last year and Santa didn't bring one....yet. :D
Mel Wilbur

compressor

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Barb & Bill, yes I have this model in one of the compartments, switched from the 12v type about year ago and pleased with this one.
Mel & Connie
BornFree_n_Now

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

Air Lift makes a compressor system with a 2 gallon holding tank which allows you to adjust your air bags while you are driving down the road, and service your tires, via a detachable air hose, when so required. We would not be without this unit, for both purposes. It is only a 12 volt system, but it is quite heavy duty, and with the 2 gallon tank, you can easily and quickly deal with the volume/pressure requirements of your coach and toad (if applicable), tire filling needs. We mounted the compressor under the couch, and the 2 gallon tank under the floor of the coach, adjacent to the air fill lines for the air bags (2002 RSB). We mounted the control unit under the passenger’s seat, facing the driver’s seat, so the driver can reach over and adjust one or both of the air bags up or down when required (soft when driving down the road, or pumped up in seconds when having to go through a deeper than normal gutter). Just another idea ~~ good luck with whatever you choose :>)
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
robert

Post by robert »

I purchased one at Sears for $99. It is 110V. I would not recommend 12V as it would take forever and a day to fill a tire, especially a truck tire. I had air horns on an earlier BF and it had a 12V compressor, and it would take several minutes per pound just to top off the tires.

Mine does not have a tank. Beween the length of the cord and the length of the air hose, I can fill all of the tires on the BF using the external 110V outlet. I also carry a ten foot extension cord.

I forget the HP of the compressor, and it is inside the BF which is stored about 25 miles from home.

It fits nicely inside a carboard office file box and the box fits nicely in the under the couch storage area.

I would not be without my own compressor while I was on the road.

I found the following at Sears website. It looks similiar to my model and it is half the price.

Craftsman 120 volt Air Compressor Inflator
Sears item #02875117000 Mfr. model #75117
Faster than standard 12 volt inflators, ideal for a car, truck and SUV tires and a variety of other inflating needs. Powerful 3.3 amp motor provides the power for extra-fast inflating. Hose wraps around the base of the compressor for convenient storage. Power cord stores conveniently on bottom side of compressor. Plugs into standard 120 volt household outlet. Great for inflation jobs around the house, shop or garage. Also includes hi-flow air attachments for high-volume inflatables.
Attachments
Sears Air Compressor.jpg
Sears Air Compressor.jpg (6.53 KiB) Viewed 17139 times
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I picked up a Westward Air Compressor Model, No. 3JR69, from:

It works great!

Thanks to all for your recommendations.
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

The more I use it the happier I am that I purchased the Westward Air Compressor Model, No. 3JR69. It is the perfect compressor for airing up the Bornfree. Also, don't know how I managed around the house without it before - cars, bikes, wheel barrows, truck carts, etc., - works like a charm.

Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
robert

Post by robert »

After looking at the picture you provided, my Sears aircompressor is the exact same model. Sears takes a lot of manufacturer's products and puts their name on them.

I would not be on the road without it.

Bob

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”