Winterizing our 2008 BFT

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Charlie & Nancy

Winterizing our 2008 BFT

Post by Charlie & Nancy »

This will be the first time for us to winterize our Born Free. Since Charlie just had heart surgery (5 bypasses) we will have a friend help us do this. Does anyone have instructions written out that they could share? I know we could take it into a dealer to have it done, but we have always done it ourselves on our other motorhomes.

Any help with instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Nancy
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

I just winterized mine last weekend. My coach is no doubt different from yours in some respects but the basics include:
1. Make sure you can locate all the elements of winterizing on your rig: Water heater bypass valves [behind the WH from the inside], water drain, siphon hose for the pump.
2. Assemble the tools you need: If you don't already have a line connected to your pump intake to siphon RV antifreeze from the jug you probably want to buy one. This will avoid having to dump two or more jugs of RV antifreeze into the water tank to distribute it through the system [although I have done it that way with a travel trailer and it works fine]. You will want two or three jugs of RV antifreeze--you won't need that much but I like to have some on hand to flush the toilet with.
3. Find your water tank drain [this can be hard to find] and drain the freshwater tank. This will take a while.
4. Make sure your LP gas is turned off. Drain and rinse the water heater thoroughly by removing the plug [sometimes hard to reach with a socket wrench] then replace the plug.
5. Bypass the water heater by turning the valves in the opposite direction [according to your manual which may be different from mine. I have three valves] Again this is done from inside. My access is under the closet floor.
6. Attach the siphon intake hose to the water pump [in place of the water intake hose], place the hose end in a jug of RV antifreeze and turn on the pump. One by one, turn on each faucet, toilet, shower, outside shower one at a time until the water turns pink, both hot and cold.
7. Go outside to the freshwater intake [city water] and press on the little white plastic valve until pink comes out. You may have to remove the little screen to access the white valve. Turn off the water pump.
8. Empty your holding tanks unless you already have. Put some RV antifreeze into each sink trap and in the toilet. Close up each sink drain or cover with plastic wrap.
I think that's it.
Hawkeye111

Winterizing

Post by Hawkeye111 »

Owners manual was really good for that year, perhaps factory would copy one for you, or someone who has a 2008 model. Previous post was good--I would add that the shower drain also needs some antifreeze as do the holding tanks (about half gallon each). Also would fill gas tank to top and also the propane take to the top.

Don't forget to service the chassi and the generator per spec.
dsfriday

Post by dsfriday »

With respect to the above post, I also have a 2008 coach and although several have indicated they do, I have never added anti-freeze to the city water connection, #1. because the manual doesn't mention it and #2. my logic says that if you drain the system, doesn't that also drain the city water connection. But the above post perked my interest when it mention a "white button" to push. Honestly, I have never looked inside the connection to see if there is a white button, so thinking maybe I had missed something, I called Kim. He said in all the years they have been winterizing coaches they have never done anything extra for the city water connection beyond the draining sequence spelled out in the manual. He felt this was overkill and by removing the screen on the connection to get at the button, the screen my not reseat and therefore fail, what ever that means. I'm mentioning this for all those who maybe felt they same as I did, that by not adding anti-freeze to the city water connection, their winterizing was incomplete. Just know that it can be done, but Born Free thinks its overkill and my create an additional problem.
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

Very often in the winter time I use my BF. To prevent freezing between trips I "winterize" it by using compressed air (adjusted at 40-45 psi) through the city water port (I made a simple adapter).

Then I open and close every single faucet, all drainage ports (total of four, plus water heater drainage) and drain all tanks. During the procedure I run the water pump.

After disconnecting the compressed air, I live all faucets and drainage ports (including fresh water tank) OPEN and fill the drain traps with windshield washing fluid.

Done in 15 minutes - economical and fast (15 minutes max plus a gallon of windshield fluid).
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB
bill crommett

Winterizing

Post by bill crommett »

My 2004 is usually not winterized to any extent beyond blowing out the system with compressed air, and even that is done only in extreme weather. In northern SC the weather seldom gets below 30 degrees and when it does I just run Lois' Kia out of the barn and put the BFT in there for a couple of days.
Windshield washer fluid is made with denatured alcohol which is toxic. The RV antifreeze is not that much more expensive and is non toxic.
Oh yes, I live on the edge of a large lake which has a moderating influence on the weather and provides for a great heat sink.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”