chassis battery

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jobrien

chassis battery

Post by jobrien »

My chassis battery is about 5 years old. Thinking of replacing it now or in the spring.

Has anyone replaced theirs recently, if so what did you put in?

Thanks

John
Steve

Post by Steve »

jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Steve;

Which model did you go with? They don't show a 2006 E-450 in their choices to pick the correct battery.

John
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

I put in an Interstate two years ago.
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

Go to Sam's Club, Walmart, or Costco, their computer should show the E-450.

Going online to Walmart they list a "65.7" battery for the V10 engine.

Autozone lists a "65-DGL" battery for the E-450.

While the Optima battery surely is a top of the line battery, it is also very expensive.

Keep in mind you got 5 years use of a battery which is the same quality as the batteries you buy at the above stores, and your battery is still working.

Do you think you will feel comfortable keeping the expensive battery in your BF for 8-10 years to justify the extra cost. If not just go to the big box stores and get a regular battery and it should last you another 5 years.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I replaced mine last year with a Costco battery and it seems to work just fine and was inexpensive to boot.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Thanks.

Going to Costco tomorrow anyway, so I'll see what they have.

John
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

Steve wrote:I replaced ours in June 2011 with an Optima Yellow Top AGM.

Steve
I have an Optima yellow top I use in my office for electronics back up. In less than 4 years of very occasional use, it now provided (in our recent weekend snow storm power outage) less than 4 hours of 10 amp draw before the Statpower 3000 inverter shut down because the battery voltage dropped below it's safe shut down level. The Statpower charger is set for an AGM and floats the battery at 13.6 volts, so it gets better care than most batteries and the temperature is always around 70 degrees. I had worse experience of short life with a gel deep cycle marine battery, powering an electric outboard motor, it internally shorted and exploded with only two years of usage.

I've ordered two Interstate 29 deep cycles for the same as I paid 4 years ago for one Optima yellow top, much better value in my opinion. No more expensive optima batteries for me. After I get the Interstates next week, I need to take a trip to the battery recycle center, I've got a half dozen old ones to get rid of.
Attachments
101_2325.jpg
(94.16 KiB) Downloaded 1698 times
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I bought a battery maintainer for my chassis battery. Since my BF is driven infrequently I decided a maintainer for a cheap battery is the better option.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Steve

Post by Steve »

John, I went with the Optima Yellow top model: D34.
I've had Optima yellow tops in the past, on my old Jeep and currently on our Jeep Liberty (toad) and have never had any problems with them. I now don't have to worry about battery drain from various devices. I guess you get what you pay for.

Steve
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

I just put a Sears Platinum battery in my Jeep. It was on "sale" for $199 and I had $75 in Sears gift cards to use, so it was reasonable. I think it's comprable to the Optima's.

They also have one in the 65 model which should fit the Ford. I'll keep checking around, since we are done camping for the year now.

Thanks

John
karls

Post by karls »

My initial thought is why replace a functional battery? It's not like a timing belt or something else that could lead to a major headache.

Our '98 had a battery of unknown pedigree when purchased in 2005 and it still works fine. We use a battery minder.

A battery shop can tell you the condition of your battery - probably at no charge, as they hope to sell you a battery.
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Replacing it now(or in the spring) because it is not holding a charge very long.

Camped in October, came home and parked it. It sat for 3 weeks and when I went to start it, it didn't have enough power to turn the engine over. It tried for about 30 seconds and then went dead. Jumped it to get it started, ran it for about a half hour and it started fine after that. I'm pretty sure when I go to start it again, it will probably be weak again.

I would rather be proactive and replace it at my convenience that reactive when I may not have a choice as to what I will replace it with.

John
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

Don't forget that if you carry jumper cables long enough, you can jump the engine battery from your coach batteries.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
TheBizMan

Post by TheBizMan »

I have a battery disconnect on the chassis battery. When I'm not going to be using the BF for more then a week I disconnect it.
Lee-TheBizMan
2005 BFT - named "Tilly"
2012 Scion xD "Toad"

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”