RV repair insurance

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

fredcarole

RV repair insurance

Post by fredcarole »

In 2009 we purchased a 1999 21ft Cub at Humboldt.
In June, 2011 we upgraded to a 2005 24ft Rear Bath.
We are members of the Good Sam club.
We keep getting info re: repair insurance.
Any thoughts on the quality of the insurance would be welcome.
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

My opinion is simply that extended warranties or repair insurance policies are not worth the $$. Why not just put the money you would spend into a fund for RV repairs and use it when you need it? If they were such a great deal for the consumer, would they be pushing them so hard?
fredcarole

Repair insurance

Post by fredcarole »

Thanks for your comment. I feel the same way,
but I was hesitant to dismiss the idea entirely.
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

We no longer carry an extended warranty policy on our RV. We did have Good Sam's and they did cover some low dollar (in this case I am calling new refrigerator for about $2000 low dollar, as different for a new engine for maybe $10,000). I always was uncomfortable about being sure to dot the "I's" and crossing the "t's" for engine and transmission maintenance. It is my understanding if you don't service the oil and fluids "exactly" as they require they will deny the claim. For a new engine or transmission you may have to "prove" you did what they require.

Paying $500 to $1000 a year, depending on deductible, for a fridge or microwave or water heater or water tank, which are unlikely to go out before you have paid $3000 to $5000 in fees seemed a waste of money.

Maybe someone on this forum has experience with an extended warranty paying a $10,000 claim and would share their experience.
whemme

Post by whemme »

I have never carried extended warranty insurance on my 2002 Born Free 26' RSB motorcoach and am glad I didn't since I have never had anything fail or break in the 61,000 miles I have owned it so far.

However about 12 years ago when I owned a 7-series BMW that was about to go out of its 3 year factory warranty, I investigated covering it with an extended warranty policy but was shocked at the exclusions hidden in the small print of a lot of the policies. A favorite one was that many of the policies I examined covered all moving parts in the engine and transmission. Left unsaid was fact that any non-moving parts of the engine such as the heads and the block would not be covered in the policy. If you suffered a cracked head or block, the policy would not have paid for their replacement!

Anyone considering an extended warranty insurance policy needs to very carefully read and understand the small print in the policy.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

I never liked the idea of paying for someone else s repairs. And that is what insurance is supposed to be --- after the managers take out their commission for distributing and collecting the money. This is not the same as being covered for events like a hurricane or a tornado, where for $900 you are protecting yourself from a many hundred dollar calamity.
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

I do not have an extended warranty on my Born Free. However I did have one on my previous coach (Allegro). I was glad I did.

I was just out of my 3 year warranty. During teh warranty period I did not have extra road service, just the 3 year Workhorse chassis warranty. Before taking a trip out West, I signed up with Coach-Net for road service.

We had a great trip and were on our way home. Driving through WY, the transmission overheated and we came to a stop. Called CoachNet and they were very helpful. Bad news was that the only place that could work on teh Workhorse was 5 hours back in Billings, MT. We had to wait 5 hours for the tow truck to get there and then towed back another 5 hours. It was a long night. The tow/repair company allowed us to park next to their building and we had elecric and access to water. The next day the transmission was fixed (forget now what the issue was, but it was an external part of the trans). CoachNet covered the tow and our extended maintenance covered the repair, minus our deductable. Not bad.

We left and got as far as Gilette WY, when we started losing power up hills. Pulled into a KOA and called CoachNet. Next day we were being towed again back to Billings. No place closer could look at it until teh following week, and we really wanted to get home. So back to Billings we went, same garage, same parking spot. This time a fuel pump had to be ordered and since the mh was disassembled and on a lift, we had to spend the night in a cabin at the Billings KOA. They allowed dogs, and we had the Jeep so it wasn't too bad.

Next day the fuel pump was in and installed. Again CoachNet covered the tow and the warranty covered the repair. I had to pay the deductable and the cost of next day shipping for the pump.

So for my $79 membership in CoachNet I got over $2,000 worth of towing. I never saw the actual repair bills, but I'm sure it exceeded teh cost of the extended warranty I had.

I have mixed feelings about extended warranties. I do not have it on my Jeep, but we do have it on my wife's mini-van, since it has all power doors, windows and more electronics that can go wrong.

If you never need it, it's a waste of money. But if you use it once (and they pay) it could pay for itself. Problem is they look for every excuse possible not to pay. You have to make sure ALL recommended maintenance is done, on time, and able to prove it. And read the fine print.
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Emergency road service is something else, altogether.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”