Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

wjhgolf

Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

Post by wjhgolf »

Does anyone believe that TPMS's are beneficial or necessary? It is a fact that larger tires - like on RV's and trucks - do not lose their pressure as quickly as smaller car tires - I have found this to be true with my Born Free. If you regularly check your pressure, are TPMS's necessary? Maybe in the case of a blowout, but then it's too late anyway.
Bill and Sharyn Hill
Clarkston, MI
2002 24ft RB
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

I believe TPMS is very important to RV'ers. Unlike a car or a pickup truck, motorhomes, travel trailers & fifth wheels are loaded to the point that their tires are at 85% to 100% of their capacity. Many RV's are actually used when the tires are loaded at over 100% of their capacity.

I won't own and operate a RV w/o TPMS.

Pick up a nail or screw in your tire when you leave in the morning and by the afternoon your tire may be down by 20% to 30% or more. Now you have just ruined that tire. It may look OK but it is dangerous to continue using that tire.

Note, this is not my opinion, it is the opinion of a tire expert. Here is a link to his site:
http://www.rvtiresafety.com/
It is well worth the time to read back through his posts.

Here is a link to a topic on this forum about TPMS
http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... php?t=2130
Generally folks are saying TPMS is very important.

A thought about regularly checking tire pressure. To be safe you should check your tire pressure before you leave in the morning. Are you really going to kneel down in cold rain to check your tires? When you get in a hurry and want to get on the road, will you stop and take several minutes to check the pressure? Personally I wouldn't and didn't. I also find it a real nuisance to get the tire gauge on the valve stem and hold it there long enough to get a accurate reading without loosing some air.
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

Yep, won't travel without them and especially on the toad.
2005 26' RSB Casual Elegance
wjhgolf

Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Post by wjhgolf »

Now that I have looked into them, I question spending about $500 - that's what the Pressure Pro costs with 6 wheel sensors - wow!
Bill and Sharyn Hill
Clarkston, MI
2002 24ft RB
whemme

Post by whemme »

If you think $500 is too expensive, if you ever have a blow out in one of your rear dual tires, the resulting damage to the fiberglass bodywork in the wheel well, damage to one of your water tanks and plumbing and/or damage to your LP tank and plumbing, $500 will seem like a bargain in comparison to the resulting repair bills.

I have a friend that owns a 1999 42' Blue Bird Class A diesel pusher and he had a blow out about 5 years ago in his front left Michelin tire while on the interstate. Total repair bill came to over $100,000.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

Vulcan Tire has a 6 tire set for $427 & free shipping. No tax, at least for Texas, I don't know about other states.
http://www.vulcantire.com/pressurepro_rv_tpms.htm

I ordered some replacement TPMS senders from several weeks ago and delivery was prompt.
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

2005 26' RSB Casual Elegance
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

I have used the Tire Sentry system for many years. My reason for choosing that system was that I can change the watch type batteries and not have to purchase new sensors. http://www.tiresentry.com/
Mel & Connie
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I don't have TPMS on my BFT. I think of it as another layer of insurance. If you want the peace of mind and can readily afford them, then you might want to invest. I've made the decision that the system is too expensive and I can do without. I do inspect the tires before I move the coach though. :)

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
grross

Post by grross »

I have tpms on all of my recent cars; because they came that way. Some how I don't understand how these systems can alert you to a blow out. On the other hand if you do a walk around at each stop you should be able to spot a tire going low and a heat sensing gun will give you even more comfort of you tires condition. OK, since most will disagree with me feel free to let me have it!!!
2008 27' RBRE V-10
whemme

Post by whemme »

Well, I believe most (but certainly not all) blow outs are caused by a tire overheating as a direct result of a gradual loss of air pressure. If you happen to puncture a tire with a nail causing an air pressure leak while driving, unless you stop and check all tire pressures every 1/2 hour or so, you will not catch the problem soon enough before the tire overheats and blows.

I think for this very reason is why the government is now requiring TPMS on new vehicles.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
wjhgolf

More on TPMS

Post by wjhgolf »

OK......I am convinced! And, I found a reasonable alternative today at the Grand Rapids, Michigan RV Show - Tire Minder Model TMG400C-6 - includes 6 sensors, 12 batteries and they will replace batteries free until 2018 - all for $345 (show price).
Bill and Sharyn Hill
Clarkston, MI
2002 24ft RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”