Cable TV problem

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Ann P

Cable TV problem

Post by Ann P »

Hi folks. My cable tv set-up was working fine this week, then after an all-day drive in very windy, sometimes bumpy conditions, there was no cable signal. The RV park manager tested the cable box with a small portable tv and my own cable wire- both are fine. So the problem is inside the Born Free. The wires behind the tv look fine, nothing out of place. I'm wondering if something got bumped where the connection comes into the outside sidewall . The wiring from that goes behind the slide drawers located under the stove burners in my 2008 24RB....so that's hard to get to. I looked with a flashlight but nothing is obviously wrong.

The antenna booster is not on, and the tv settings for cable are fine, but no signal. I was able to borrow the other tv ,plug it in here and run the cable wire thru my kitchen window. Then the weather got worse- 30 degrees tonight- so I've stuffed the window opening with rags. Would appreciate any ideas or advice !
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Make sure your TV is changed from the ANT to the CATV setting.
Ann P

Cable TV problem

Post by Ann P »

Yes, that's what I was referring to by "the tv settings for cable are fine". All the normal and obvious things that we do for cable tv look okay, which is why I'm looking for the not so obvious, like behind the walls or whatever. Will be driving again tomorrow and will try the process again with the next cable hookup. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem too.
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

If you take the cable through the window and hook it up to that TV, what happens?
cthorntonjr

Post by cthorntonjr »

The same thing has happened to me recently. I have checked everything. If I run the cable connection direct from the outside hookup thru the window to my tv, it works fine. If I try to hook it up plugging the cable connection in the side connector where the outside shower is , it does not work. Anyone have any idea what the problem is/ I have a 2004 26'RSB.
whemme

Post by whemme »

There is a switch on a TV wall plate that selects the TV to be connected to either your TV antenna on top of your coach or to the cable TV connector located towards the rear on the left side of you coach. If the switch is in a position that results in the indicator being illuminated then that is the position for the TV to receive off of the antenna. With the switch in the position such that the indicator is not illuminated, then the TV will be connected to the cable TV connection.

This switch in the wrong position may be the cause of your TV not receiving cable TV signals.

See a photo of a typical TV wall plate below.
Attachments
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png (17.05 KiB) Viewed 6165 times
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

If none of these solutions work remove the "box" in Bill's photo and check the connections on the other side. Though unlikely to be the problem it is possible for these connections to loosen.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Dude

Post by Dude »

I agree with mockingturtle.....hook a wire from outside directly to your tv or cablebox. If it works that way, then you know the issue is between your cable box and the outside connection.

I also agree with Dallas, take that plate off and you should be able to unplug the cable wire from the back of it. There should also be one from the Antenna. Depending on if there is enough play in the wires you should be able to hook up the wire directly to the cable box. If it works that way, then the problem is with that plate and the selector switch. Time for a new one.

If you can get to the back of where the cable wire comes into the RV then you should be able to unscrew the wire and connect a new wire and run that to the TV outside of the wall. If that works, then the problem is with the wire behind the wall.

And if all of that doesn't work, light a fire outside and enjoy the outdoors :D
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”