Extolling the Virtues of Born Free

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

golferdhm

Extolling the Virtues of Born Free

Post by golferdhm »

We just sold our 2008 27RB, which, I believe, was one of the first Born Frees built on the new, somewhat-improved 2008 E450 chassis. During the 46000+ miles that we drove it, I kept detailed mileage records. Towing over half of the time and driving at about 60mph most of the time, we averaged an amazing 9.62 mpg, at least 8000 of that being in hilly/mountainous terrain. I kept the front tires at 55-60 psi and the rear at 70-75 psi and rotated the tires twice. While driving in mountainous terrain, I did not use overdrive and used the engine to brake extensively going down steep hills. I changed oil every 5-7000 miles and used the half synthetic oil that our Ford dealer recommended. I had no mechanical problems with the chassis and only a few very minor problems with the coach. In fact, the Born Free was the most trouble-free vehicle I have ever had. Even my cars have given me more trouble than the Born Free.
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

I would not expect a four-year-old vehicle to give me any trouble. I owned a Chevy Blazer for 13 years and 135K miles and only had to replace a heater core and the starter. I fully expect much more from my Honda CR-V. Well maintained vehicles nowadays should be relatively trouble-free.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”