Why no solar?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

mockturtle

Why no solar?

Post by mockturtle »

Just wondering why BF does not offer optional solar panels. Is it because of the odd roof configuration? How many of you have solar on your BF and did any of you have yours installed on the west coast?
TheBizMan

Post by TheBizMan »

We just had two 125 watt panels installed on our 2005 BFT. It was installed by an RV supplier in Phoenix. They work great. We went camping for four days and never had to run the generator. We watched TV, ran the lights and water pump and computers. In the morning just before the sun came up the monitor would read as low as 74%, but within an hour after sun up, it was back to 100%.
Lee-TheBizMan
2005 BFT - named "Tilly"
2012 Scion xD "Toad"

mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Sounds great! Do you by chance have a picture of them on your roof or could you at least describe where you had them installed? I guess your roof configuration is flat, as opposed to mine with the cabover. Do you still have room to walk around up there?
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

I mounted my 125 watt panel on the driver side of my coach. I arranged it so it can be tilted up into the sun.

Not much sun on this winter day in Minnesota

When not parked in the sun, the panel can be removed and attached to a 50 ft. extension cable.

This is more like it!
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Nice work, Tom. Is 125W enough to keep your batteries topped off when dry camping? I don't use the television when camping so it would just be lights, pump, Fantastic vent, possibly the furnace, and charge my phone & laptop.
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

I'm down in Florida right now. I've been here since Dec. 1 dry camping the whole time. 125 watts is usually enough. My Interstate batteries crapped out on me about a month ago and I replaced them with two 6volt Trojan T-125s. The T-125 is 240 amp-hours and is the same size the T-105 which is 225 amp-hour. I figured I might as well cram as much as I could in there. Even with the bad batteries I could go with not having to run my generator except for a few times when it was cloudy much of the day.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
jerseypete

why no solar

Post by jerseypete »

Hey mockturtle,
I have a 2008 27' RB with 4 100W panels on the roof, 200W Inverter, with 3 stage charger and monitor, and 4 125 Trojan Batts. Pkg from AM Solar in Oregon, bought directly by me and shipped to Factory for install
Purchased batts separately from Trojan and had shipped.
This after strong negotiation with factory about install. Factory changed their mind after checking out AM Solar.
I can run all appliances except roof air, and the batteries stay up nicely, even all winter when I tilt panels for the southern sun.
Total cost with install about $6500 to $7000.
Love it, love it.
Had more unique installs if interested. Made a post before, but no inquires.
Surprised at that, but, oh well.
Good luck, jerseypete
hrgermany

solar panels

Post by hrgermany »

I installed 2 60 watt solar panels on the roof of my coach and a good solar charge controller. Have them now for 5 years no problem.

Hans Rueckert
1995 BF FT RSB
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

While I'm not certain the folks in Humboldt would to it again, I have a 2011 24RB which had considerable reconfiguration with 3 100W panels on roof, 4 large AGM batteries below, and an inverter. All this was a three-way arrangement involving Ed Newman, an Oregon company AM Solar who provided equipment and installation instructions, and yours truly who never laid eyes on the rig until it was delivered into my drive. While the result was nearly perfect, there is a whole lot of detail which I could elaborate.
If anyone is interested, pm me to avoid cluttering up this thread.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Thanks. I sent you a PM.
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

Jerseypete & Bigdipper,

Where did they install the extra 2 batteries in your rigs.

I have thought about adding two batteries to my rig to bring the total up to four, but have problems deciding where to install the batteries.
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

I just finished a lengthy PM to Mockturtle and we can dialog further if you send me a PM and we can switch to direct email or phone. Briefly, there is no generator and a larger battery tray occupies space in the rear part of gen space. HWH pump/resevoir is in front area of gen space.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

I guess in AZ you get enough sun to rely in solar. I think I'd want to keep the generator although I seldom run it except to maintain it.
jerseypete

why no solar

Post by jerseypete »

Al1 florida,
I had them install a battery tray next to the generator, in a new compartment.
I will try and post a photo here. It is just like the 2 battery slideout, but bigger. Works well
Oh, I listed my Inverter as 200W. It is 2000W of course
Attachments
battery tray showing all 4 batteries out.JPG
battery tray showing all 4 batteries out.JPG (74.15 KiB) Viewed 12427 times
Brent

Post by Brent »

Hey Jerseypete,
I would be interested and I'm sure others too in some of the unique installs you've had done.

Brent
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”