Born Free compared to Coach House

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

stevek

Post by stevek »

As some of you may know, I am looking to buy my first MH ever.
In addition to the BF's, I have been looking at a 2008 Coach House.
They are really a Class B plus.
But all fiberglass like the Born Free.

Any comments on the differences/ ideas/ suggestions?
Both have the Ford V10.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
mquade

Post by mquade »

We had a 2004 27' Coachhouse, with two slideouts. We now have a 2008 22' BFT. Both are very comparable in quality. However, we like the BFT better because the kitchen counter area is larger than the Coachhouse. Additionally, the BFT handles better but that is because it has less overhang over the back wheels due to a shorter length. And of course, with no slideouts, the BFT is simpler, thus quieter, and easier to figure out if something doesn't work. O yes, one more thing. The BFT has a ladder so you can crawl up top. The Coachhouse did not, and you were not suppose to climb up top! I find it much easier to clean, check things out, attach things, etc. with a ladder. Hope this helps. Miles
jerseypete

Born Free compared to Coachhouse

Post by jerseypete »

Hi Steve,

I have listed my 2008BF for sale. Suggest you read the sheet on it and compare with coach house.
Another thought.
When any of us call BF factory, they pick up on the first ring. Many members will testify here to the care and service provided. It is legendary, no bull.
No matter what the problem or where, BF is known to see a coach owner thru the problem, find a service center, order a part, tell you what to do, and stay with you until it is solved.
This has also been my personal experience, and no, I do not work for BF.
Good luck, jerseypete
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Hi Steve --- I live in San Luis Obispo and have a Born Free [my second]. If you would like to see one call me and come by and see mine. I would be glad to answer any of your questions -- Bob Newby -- ph 805-441-1933
hrgermany

Born Free Service

Post by hrgermany »

I also have my second used BF. Now I have a 1995 BF 26 FT RSB. Every time I call with an other technical question or problem asking for Kim Olson, I am always treated well. Even they probably know that I never will buy a new BF. But if I win the lotto-the first thing I would do order a new BF.

Hans Rueckert
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

It could be the reason some/many folks have not heard of CoachHouse RV's is the name prominently displayed on the front is "Platinum".

I didn't recognize the Coach House name until I Goggled it to see the Platinum name.
stevek

Post by stevek »

Sorry about the name Coach House,
I assumed everyone would have know what I was talking about.

I am on the west coast and notice most BF's for sale are back east. I like the idea of the fiberglass body. Coach house is made in FL and the body is all one piece vs the BF made in sections.
http://www.coachhouserv.com/

Anyway there is one for sale near me. Only 10000 miles, 2008 for 79k.
thought maybe I could get for 70k?
I think new they are about 100-130k.
It has full body paint, which I am not very excited about.

Hope I am not offending anybody, just trying to learn... thats all.
And trying to find something close to me for sale.

Thanks
Steve
CA/OR border
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

Steve,

You may want to check out this group on Yahoo:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/CHPlatinum/
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
stevek

Post by stevek »

thanks... but looks like it doesn't exist/ or is used anymore.

The current posts are like junk mail, trying to sell you something.

So, I guess the consensuses of the group, is I don't have to worry about the full body paint pealing.
Steve
CA/OR border
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

When I researched class C motorhomes a few years ago, Coach House Platinum, Born Free, and Lazy Daze brands seemed to be the cream of the crop. I was most interested in the CH-P 272xl-fs, BF 26 RSB, and LD 26 RB models. All were on the Ford E450 chassis. The Platinum had top shelf components, a cut above the other 2 brands, and an extremely elegant interior, even more than a BF Casual Elegance model. It was by far the most costly class C I found. The lack of a cab over bed meant it would be crowded with more than 2 people. This model had slide outs, with their inherent space advantages, and weight and potential leak disadvantages. Like the BF, it seems directed at people who explore by driving, rather than parking for extended stays in one spot.

The Lazy Daze was the least costly of the 3, and the boxy shape gives the most interior room, best for a large family, but it lacked the convenience of a dedicated floor level bed. The interior decor had the least eye appeal of the 3. It is a wide body, a disadvantage on narrow roads or in cities. The body is aluminum with easily maintained glossy paint, but with the risk of electrolysis corrosion and pinhead perforations after seam leaks occur to the owners who fail to reseal the seams regularly. (I have been down that road with my previous motorhome.) Nevertheless, LD offered a lot of quality for the least money.

Of course, Born Free has it's pros and cons that obviously suit the majority of us on this forum, but I think "we" could be satisfied with whichever of these fine class C coaches combined the traits that appeal best to each of us, factoring in the cost differential, of course. The new cost differential does narrow as you look at older or shorter models.

I feel full body paint is easier to keep looking good than gel coat. When my gel coat chalks too much, I may have it sprayed with 2 part marine paint. An expensive job, but visit a marina to see before and after appearances on older gel coated fiberglass.

Examine and drive any that have a mix of features that appeals, you will get a feel for what you want for your leisure explorations.
Enjoy your coach, the 08 Platinum if you chose that, or a new or newer BF, if one surfaces for your future explorations.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
lassen

Post by lassen »

All three are fine coaches and each have their individual pluses that appeal to their owners.

But only with the Born Free do you get to interact with the Humboldt factory and all its fine folks, and also can be members of Leap'n Lions with all their fine folks.

Jack & Jan
Jack & Jan
2005 24RB
stevek

Post by stevek »

found this on the Triple E
http://www.vancityrv.com/inventory/1768 ... 4-MB-.aspx

Never heard of this brand.
Looks to be in the same price rang of BF.

Thanks !!
Steve
CA/OR border
charlesbell

Born Free Compared to Coach House

Post by charlesbell »

The new Born Free 23FL (Front Lounge) is a similar floor plan to the Triple E in the web link. (I have ordered a 23FL; my third Born Free.) The Born Free 23FL has a 40" pop up TV (instead of 26"), roll bars for safety, and is made in the USA. Also, the Born Free has more head room (especially in the bath) than the Triple E Serenity & Libero which I viewed at the Tampa RV show in January 2012. I don't know about Triple E's customer service, however, Born Free is EXCELLENT!
Charles / Cape Canaveral, Florida 2013 23FL
Brent

Post by Brent »

I can't find a 23FL product on the BF site. It's probably right in front of me but I'm missing it on the website.

Is it under another name?
brent
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
charlesbell

Post by charlesbell »

It's a new floor plan; not on web site yet.
Charles / Cape Canaveral, Florida 2013 23FL

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”