pulling jeeps

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

moe

pulling jeeps

Post by moe »

Hi Everyone, recently purchased a 2002BF 26'RB on Ford E450. I am thinking of purchasing a 2015 Jeep 2 door wrangler sport or sahara to pull behind it. Tried pulling our 2010 Ford Flex and seemed pretty heavy so had it weighed and came in at 5050 pounds. Looked up weights on sport and came in at 4000 lbs. Looks like Sahara would be about 250 lbs. more. So time we load it up with bikes, etc. I think we will be looking at 4500 lbs, or so. Anyone out there pulling newer 2 door jeeps behind there 26'? How does it pull? Sport or Sahara?

Bill
whemme

Re: pulling jeeps

Post by whemme »

Bill,

According to a friend of mine that has towed Jeeps for many years, you should consider the Rubicon model if you are serious about off road use when you get to your destination.

Bill
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

I'd be very interested in any answers. If your 2002 26 can tow it without any issues then our 2002 24 will be just fine. I pulled a CJ7 behind a dodge pickup with a 318 a few years back and had zero issues. Now we've sold it, and our pick up, and we're concidering getting a TJ Rubicon. We are planning a 2 week trip to Moab next year in the Spring, plus we have plans for Death Valley in the Winter. I love to off road, but not hard core, so towing a stock TJ Rubicon would really be great. Also great for the snow in Tahoe if we ever get any again!
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Bill;

I tow a 2008 4 door Unlimited X, weighs about 4,200 pounds. It has about 104,000 miles and probably about another 12,000 towed miles. It has been a great vehicle and very dependable. I'll probably jinx myself, but the only mechanical problem was a water pump that had to be replaced under warranty. I just bought 4 new BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 tires to replace the earlier version KO tires which had 65,000 miles on them plus about 6,000 more towed miles. So I plan on keeping the Jeep at least another 50,000 miles.

Yes, you know it is behind you when towing, especially up hills. But I have never been anywhere where I was uncomfortable towing it. I do have a Brake Buddy aux braking system which is a necessity. But if you take it slow and easy and anticipate steep grades you shouldn't have any problem.

The Rubicon comes with front and rear lockers and skid plates, which will add more weight.
If I can answer any specific questions for you, fire away.

john
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

jobrien wrote:Bill;

I tow a 2008 4 door Unlimited X, weighs about 4,200 pounds. It has about 104,000 miles and probably about another 12,000 towed miles. It has been a great vehicle and very dependable. I'll probably jinx myself, but the only mechanical problem was a water pump that had to be replaced under warranty. I just bought 4 new BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 tires to replace the earlier version KO tires which had 65,000 miles on them plus about 6,000 more towed miles. So I plan on keeping the Jeep at least another 50,000 miles.

Yes, you know it is behind you when towing, especially up hills. But I have never been anywhere where I was uncomfortable towing it. I do have a Brake Buddy aux braking system which is a necessity. But if you take it slow and easy and anticipate steep grades you shouldn't have any problem.

The Rubicon comes with front and rear lockers and skid plates, which will add more weight.
If I can answer any specific questions for you, fire away.

john
John,

Did you add an auxiliary trans cooler and if you did what did you add?
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Russ, I use a tow dolly to tow as I have/had Toyota 4WDs that require dropping the driveshaft; and I also tow our '10 Prius. Having a tow dolly allows me to tow either/or instead of having just one set up for towing.

I towed an '02 Tundra 4WD with my '01, V10 23RK. I now tow an '07 FJ 'Cruiser with my '06 8.1L 32RQ. At 4200 lbs each, you definitely know they're back there... even with the 8.1L gasser in the 32RQ, but they're not a problem to tow. Expect a 10-20% fuel mileage penalty while towing the additional weight.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

I did not add a transmission cooler. I believe because the BF has a towing package that a trans cooler would have been added by Ford.

John
Rich Flaugh

Post by Rich Flaugh »

I have a Wrangler Sport with automatic transmission that I've pulled on two trips using the Blue Ox system. The E450 with v-10 will handle this tow vehicle but you can expect a noticeable drop in speed when you hit a long or steep grade. You will also find that during a strong crosswind it will take some extra steering concentration. I think the wind hitting the jeep tends to loosen the rear end of the Born Free. We love having the Jeep to explore forest service roads and have the ability to park it almost anyplace. I've accepted the fact that the V-10 doesn't have the torque necessary to maintain speed limit speeds when you hit a long pull. Don't use the cruise control and don't be afraid to keep the hammer down.
moe

Post by moe »

Thanks for the replies. I am not as concerned about the ability to pull and stop the jeep. Its the crosswinds that concern me or when a truck passes you. When pulling the ford flex in a heavy crosswind there was a definite sway problem that took a good deal of concentration to control. John you didn't mention a problem with that like Rich did. Have you felt much difference in those situations or have you experienced it to any degree? The lightest jeep I have found is an early 2000's wrangler but most have so many miles on them I would prefer to purchase a new one. The older ones weigh about 3400 lbs. New ones about 4100. Bill
sw23185

Post by sw23185 »

[ deleted ]
Last edited by sw23185 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

My owners manual clearly states that the coach is not tow rated. This is probably to cover there you know what. It also states that no bikes, etc should be carried in the front when towing to inhibit air flow to the radiator. Lastly in clearly states that an auxiliary transmission cooler should be installed if you will be towing another vehicle. That's why I asked about a cooler, because it seems like a trans cooler would be an absolute must given the extra heat generated when towing another vehicle especially in hot climates and up steep grades. I'll be adding one in the future before I start to tow and will report back.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
sw23185

Post by sw23185 »

[ deleted ]
Last edited by sw23185 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

Yes, but that's not the issue. The issue is it states that when towing another vehicle an auxiliary transmission is required. The chassis is rated for the stock cooler and stock chassis loads, but obviously not for loads imposed when towing another vehicle. I understand there is basically no additional tongue load, but the vehicle being towed does add more load with additional stress on the transmission. It may not be an issue for some, but doing a conciderable amount of mountain driving gives me concern.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

I;m not sure about 2002 Fords ,but newer Fords you can use a scangauge to monitor transmission temperature . The chassis has a GCWR that it is equipped from the factory to handle without modification . The chassis brakes can only stop the chassis GVWR . You need to find out what Ford rates the GVWR for your chassis .
2012 25' rb
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I'm surprised more people aren't posting specifically about "pulling jeeps." In years past I attended two Leap'n Lions Club rallies in Colorado and there were Born Frees all over towing jeeps.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”