Replacing Suburban stovetop

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

tomzleapin

Replacing Suburban stovetop

Post by tomzleapin »

Has anyone replaced their piece-o-crap Suburban cooktop with a home type unit? I think I can squeeze in a 24" unit with a little modification of the cabinetry. Also a home unit would require 120 volt A.C. for the igniter which can be handled with an inverter.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Sam,

I'm satisfied with my microwave/convection oven. In fact, I cooked a 13 pound turkey in it last Christmas and it worked great. I'm planning on just replacing the cooktop. The smallest residential style cooktops that I can find are 24". The standard RV cooktop is 22" so I'd be sacrificing 2". Here's the unit I would like to install:
It's a SMEG SR60GHU3 and the cheapest price I can find is $620. A little steep.

Here's a unit I located from England:
It's a Hotpoint GF640X and the price is £175 which is about $285 plus shipping and any tariffs. They claim they can ship to the US. One hitch is that the igniter would require 240 volt. A small step-up transformer should fix that.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

I just got a quote from the folks in the UK for the Hotpoint. Shipping and handling is ONLY $190 so I bit the bullet and ordered the SMEG from a US vendor. I posted queries on a couple other forums and haven't gotten any response from anyone that has done this. I seem to be heading into uncharted territory. Expected delivery is about a week. I'll post results when I get it installed.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

After a couple of shipping delays I finally received my new cooktop. The install was fairly simple. The biggest issue was what to do with the gap in the front of the counter-top. After considerable head-scratching, I decided to fill the void with a shallow drawer. Here's some photos:

Out with the old

There's no turning back now

Test fit

The finished drawer. I couldn't get a good match of the existing oak so I went with a contrasting scheme.
Teak handle/towel rack and oak face with a wash coat of black paint.

Completed project.

With drawer open

Now to figure out what I'll cook first.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Great install Tom. :D

Did that new cooktop come fitted with burner orifices specifically for propane gas?

Also, do the grates stay in place when the coach is moving? Any excessive rattling?

Thanks, Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

The stove comes set for natural gas but comes with jets for LP. You have to swap jets and adjust the air shutters.

The grates just set in place as well as the burner tops. I just got it installed a few hours ago and haven't been on the road. I think I'll have to figure out a way to fasten the grates down.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”