2004 24' RB Water filtration system query

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

marcnsue

2004 24' RB Water filtration system query

Post by marcnsue »

I would like advice regarding what type of water filtration system forum members would recommend for our 2004 24' RB RV. We'd like a system that removes particulate matter as well as chemicals, bacteria, and odors. Do you recommend interior installation or an exterior stand-alone unit? If interior installation is recommended, where in the system should it be installed to filter both the water coming from an outside source and the water coming from the internal fresh water tank? If you can recommend a brand of filter that works for you, that information would be welcome also. Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Sincerely,

Marc from Pacific Grove
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

In our Foretravel we had a dual filter reverse osmosis internal system. It worked very well but took up a bit of space under the sink. In my BF I use the same filtration system I use at home: A Brita filter pitcher. Takes out contaminants as well as chlorine and other chemical tastes and smells. It does need to be kept in the refrigerator but I find that no problem.
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

In addition to what mockturtle uses, we also use an exterior filter when hooked up to city water or when filling the fresh water tank. This is mainly to make sure sediment does not get into the fresh water system. We have found many campgrounds where the water has quite a bit of sediment. These filters are sold at almost any RV-oriented store, such as Camping World, many campground stores and RV service centers.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

I am careful about giardia, or at least try to be. IMO the only way to protect water inbound is a filter small enough to stop it. Chlorine and iodine will not do the trick but heating to near boiling will. I have both an external filter which has very slow flow rate for possibly infected water and an adequate faucet filter always in place.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

We don't filter or treat the water when traveling (or at home either). We DO travel with a full water tank so if we arrive somewhere that the water doesn't taste or smell good, we don't use the water there.

When we arrive at a new water source I take a clear water glass to the spigot or, sometimes a hand pump well in National Forests, fill it to the top, look at the water, smell the water and then taste it. If it doesn't meet the tests we don't use the water.

The water systems in the US are better tested than some of the bottled water sold in stores.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”