Brake line abrasion

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Virgil and Anne Dutton

Brake line abrasion

Post by Virgil and Anne Dutton »

When checking my 2006 BFT for summer travel I discovered something disturbing. I discovered that the base bracket for the airbag on the passenger side had shifted inboard on the axle housing and had worn into, as well as kinked, the flexible brake line. One time in the past I had noticed that that bracket had shifted in the same manner, but, since it is so tight a space to work in, and visibility is difficult, I just moved it back to its proper position and tightened the u-bolt which holds it there. At that time I didn’t notice that it was into the brake line. This time, to prevent it from moving again, I installed a steel spacer between the bracket and the differential housing. I secured the spacer to the axle housing with hose clamps. This could have been a catastrophic event and that is why I’m posting this notice. You may want to look at your airbags to make sure the base bracket is in the proper position. Below is a photo of the abraded area.

Virgil
Attachments
brake line Born Free.jpeg
brake line Born Free.jpeg (31.32 KiB) Viewed 3305 times
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
whemme

Post by whemme »

Virgil,

I guess I am somewhat confused by your post above. Isn't the passenger side airbag mounted inside the passenger side dash panel rather than the "axle housing"?

Also you refer to the "differential housing" and of course the differential is part of the rear axle assembly on the Ford E3540/E450 chassis - no where near where the passenger side airbag is located. Could you clarify this issue?
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Virgil and Anne Dutton

Post by Virgil and Anne Dutton »

Bill,

You are correct. I should have specified that the airbag I am refering to is the rear suspension airbag.

Virgil
2006 22 ft BFT diesel

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”