New owner/Spark Plug question

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

kretskin

New owner/Spark Plug question

Post by kretskin »

My daughter and I just bought a 1998 23' Built For Two, E350, V10 and we love it! We have most of the records but have no records of the spark plugs having been changed. We live in New Mexico and are heading to the Nevada desert this summer and want no surprises...we would appreciate opinions and thoughts on this issue. I have registered to join the club and look forward to many years of RV'ing!

Thanks for the feedback!
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

You have a very good question. I would suggest taking vehicle to a Ford dealer for plug replacement. One of the few issues with the V 10 in that era was plugs actually blowing out of the heads, often due to improper replacement. The dealer should be aware of this situation and do the job correctly. Good news is that after this you should be good for 100,000 miles before having to think of it again. Others might have additional thoughts.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
Roger

Post by Roger »

How many miles on the vehicle? If you don't have any symptoms of plug
malfunction, I'd just leave them alone. As Bigdipper stated there have been
problems with the plugs blowing out on these engines due to lack of thread
in the aluminum heads. Taking it to a dealer is no guarantee that the job
will be done correctly and the solution to stripped out threads is VERY costly.
1999 24RB
jeleuen

Post by jeleuen »

If it's running OK, leave it alone!!
The more the government provides, the more it is our Master.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Check this link. I first read of the problem in MOTORHOME magazine. I have 92,474 miles on my original spark plugs. I am following the advice "When in doubt, don't."

http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... ug+blowout

One of the links within the link above indicates the problem applies to 1990 through 2003 Ford engines. You, or others reading this post, may wish to do a more thorough check to determine specific details.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”