Guages

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Jim Hofmann

Guages

Post by Jim Hofmann »

In some of the discusions I have noted people mention VIP guages. I asked for and received a link to the vip webb site (viprv.com/sensitor). The webb site is old (hasn't been updated in over a year). I called the number provided on the webb site and talked to the owner, and a brief of what I gleaned: They are not going to visit any more rallys to promote their eequipment. They feel that information is out there and if someone wants the equipment they will ship it with instructions for "easy" installation.

I have a 24' RB with diesel engine. I always have concern when climbing mountains and the fan clutch kicks in. My concern is that the stock temperature guage that came with the rig never moves. So how do I know if the fan clutch should be kicking in and if it is doing its job? What is my transmission temperature doing during these climbs? So I think after driving many thousands of miles (over (90M) in two BF's I want some guages to relieve my mind.

I suspect this subject has been discussed befor, but I can't find it. So I will open the door to suggestions and testamonials.

Jim
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Here is the correct link for the VIP SENSITOR Vehicle Monitoring System:

http://www.viprv.com/vipsensitor.cfm

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

I have driven my BF 26rsb for 80k miles with only the gages that came with it. A couple of times my radiator temp gage went up during strenuous mountain climb. I merely pulled over and let it cool down and then proceeded on. I would think a diesel coach with its substantial torque would not have many climbing or towing issues to cause overheating. I am not criticise anyone but it seems a certain percentage of BF and other manufacturer users seem to think they are flying a airliner and need a gauge for every occasion. I have driven my motorhome coast to coast without anything extra that wasn't installed by the factory. Do fine with the factory shocks, mufflers, tailpipes, etc etc etc. Could my motorhome handle better, sure it could, but is it worth spending all that money on extra stuff. By the way my car could also handle better. I have a pickup truck and it could handle better. I have a friend who pilots a 747 and it could handle better. Oh well I need to stop running my mouth. My recommendation is to put the money back in your pocket and just enjoy your bf.
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

William Higbie wrote:I have driven my BF 26rsb for 80k miles with only the gages that came with it. A couple of times my radiator temp gage went up during strenuous mountain climb. I merely pulled over and let it cool down and then proceeded on. I would think a diesel coach with its substantial torque would not have many climbing or towing issues to cause overheating. I am not criticise anyone but it seems a certain percentage of BF and other manufacturer users seem to think they are flying a airliner and need a gauge for every occasion. I have driven my motorhome coast to coast without anything extra that wasn't installed by the factory. Do fine with the factory shocks, mufflers, tailpipes, etc etc etc. Could my motorhome handle better, sure it could, but is it worth spending all that money on extra stuff. By the way my car could also handle better. I have a pickup truck and it could handle better. I have a friend who pilots a 747 and it could handle better. Oh well I need to stop running my mouth. My recommendation is to put the money back in your pocket and just enjoy your bf.
I am substantial agreement with ~80,000 miles total on two Born Frees.
Only suggestion is to be very observant of maintenance recommendations, including all fluid changes.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

I agree, maintenance is the key to long life of any vehicle be it car, rv, or truck.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

William Higbie wrote:I have driven my BF 26rsb for 80k miles with only the gages that came with it. A couple of times my radiator temp gage went up during strenuous mountain climb. I merely pulled over and let it cool down and then proceeded on. I would think a diesel coach with its substantial torque would not have many climbing or towing issues to cause overheating. I am not criticise anyone but it seems a certain percentage of BF and other manufacturer users seem to think they are flying a airliner and need a gauge for every occasion. I have driven my motorhome coast to coast without anything extra that wasn't installed by the factory. Do fine with the factory shocks, mufflers, tailpipes, etc etc etc. Could my motorhome handle better, sure it could, but is it worth spending all that money on extra stuff. By the way my car could also handle better. I have a pickup truck and it could handle better. I have a friend who pilots a 747 and it could handle better. Oh well I need to stop running my mouth. My recommendation is to put the money back in your pocket and just enjoy your bf.
Said perfectly. :D

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”