Decals a make or break decision?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Longld

Decals a make or break decision?

Post by Longld »

I am amazed at the number of people who responds to the new design with a response that 'they would not buy a new unit because of it'. BF makes one of the best coaches in this market segment and they would give up that for an inferior coach in many other areas just because they didn't like the outside design? I wonder if this is a quick emotional response that will change as they think more about the ramifications of this? Just an observation - not a criticism - just trying to put the paint job in perspective.
No, I do not have any relationship with BF and I am not a design consultant or marketing person - just a dull engineer.
Lee & Mary Long, 2005 RSB 26 V10 GAS
Phoenix, Arizona
David and Susan Bratt

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

I think the answer to your question is "yes." If I really hated the look on the outside I probably wouldn't even bother to look at the inside. We continue to go to RV shows just for the fun of it and have often seen vehicles we think are pretty awful inside and out. We have never had to consider buying them since we love our BFs, but that graphic would definitely not attract me.
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

David and Susan Bratt wrote:I think the answer to your question is "yes." If I really hated the look on the outside I probably wouldn't even bother to look at the inside. We continue to go to RV shows just for the fun of it and have often seen vehicles we think are pretty awful inside and out. We have never had to consider buying them since we love our BFs, but that graphic would definitely not attract me.
X2
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

I agree. There is little doubt that BF makes the finest Class C now available, yet if I found the exterior decals/paint surface unacceptable, I would not purchase. Probably for the same reason that I would not have our home painted in a color scheme that I did not approve of.

As to the current proposed decal scheme, I am not in favor but as several have pointed out, it should be acutally seen before offering final judgement. The problem with that is that even with the new LazyDays outlets, it is still quite difficult to see one in person for many of us.
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Since BFs are factory-ordered, I don't see why we couldn't have a choice. It seems that some might opt for the new style but most of us prefer the more subdued graphics.
jeffcarp

Post by jeffcarp »

Appearance is part of the buying decision. I am not sure how to get around that fact. How many people buy a house that they can't stand the look of? And of course there is the curb appeal issue on resale as well.

I also think that each person has to figure out what appearance means to them on the scale of "can't stand it" to "I love it." From the current online pictures only, I am very, very close to the can't stand it end of the scale. For me, that would cause me to look very hard for alternatives. Doesn't mean that I wouldn't come back to it.
2011 Born Free 22' Rear Side Kitchen
William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

Sam, I have not seen many changes (other than the switch to Ford Triton V10) in the 26 RSB since my 1996 was manufactured. The market for Born Free 22-27' without slides is a very limited market, however it is a large enough market for Dodgen to survive in the short term. The plain fact is most people want more interior room even in small motorhomes. A company that stands in place with both style and features eventually falls by the wayside. I am happy with my 96 26 RSB, but I am considering a newer coach as mine is getting both age and mileage on it. I dont believe I would consider a Born Free as I am at an age when I want the comfort of more interior space. I think I will be happy with a 30' class A with one slide. I would love it if Dodgen made such a coach with the quality and attention to detail they put in the Born Free Class C of all sizes. My price point would probably be about 125k. I think Dodgen should concentrate on becoming state of the art, and forget the glitzy exterior art work.
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

I have to believe that IF Born Free decides to retain the large lion exterior scheme it will be on the option list. Who knows, maybe in the future they will also offer more than one design similar to the current models. For me, I can't get to excited about this until there is more info supplied from the factory.
Mel & Connie
Laker

Post by Laker »

William Higbie wrote:Sam, I have not seen many changes (other than the switch to Ford Triton V10) in the 26 RSB since my 1996 was manufactured. The market for Born Free 22-27' without slides is a very limited market, however it is a large enough market for Dodgen to survive in the short term. The plain fact is most people want more interior room even in small motorhomes. A company that stands in place with both style and features eventually falls by the wayside. I am happy with my 96 26 RSB, but I am considering a newer coach as mine is getting both age and mileage on it. I dont believe I would consider a Born Free as I am at an age when I want the comfort of more interior space. I think I will be happy with a 30' class A with one slide. I would love it if Dodgen made such a coach with the quality and attention to detail they put in the Born Free Class C of all sizes. My price point would probably be about 125k. I think Dodgen should concentrate on becoming state of the art, and forget the glitzy exterior art work.
+1 on your idea. There is a class A manufacturer who has a Class A - C evolution. 29' length, overhead bunk, plenty of storage, small C type windshield. Under $90K
Looking for 2011 or newer RSB

2008 27' RB. SOLD,
2007 Chevy HHR "toad"
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar with Ready Brake
wxtoad

Changes in exterior appearance

Post by wxtoad »

The Lazy Daze folks have been through something like this. 3-4 years ago LD developed a more modern paint scheme, de-emphasizing the horizontal stripes that have been the LD signature for many years. Although the folks that have owned LD's for a while generally disliked the new scheme, new buyers are overwhelmingly accepting it. The factory currently offers either scheme, although the old-timers are afraid the Mother Ship may eventually drop the traditional scheme.

Ted H.
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Ted, I don't like the new LD exterior graphics as much as the old but at least they are painted, not decals, correct? My concern is, in part, that decals exposed to sun and dust storms over time will start to crack and peel.

I think the reason most new LD buyers opt for the new graphics is to preserve resale value, the 'new' models vs. the 'old' models.
wxtoad

Post by wxtoad »

Yes, that's true - the LD exterior is all painted - Imron-type paint over aircraft aluminum. The only decals are the small ones with the company name and address front and rear.

I just found it interesting that you folks had the same reaction we did to new graphics.

Ted H.
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

And, if I were to buy a new Lazy Daze, I would order it with the old exterior---resale value be damned. :)
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Might it be that many objections to the new design are because of the overwhelming size of the graphics? If the lion was much smaller, perhaps a brown outline coupled with smaller graphics on the rear and cabover would that not be much more pleasing? I think the lion is attractive, just way too big. Perhaps a "swoosh" under the lion in another color (green?) would add an extra touch to offset the big white box appearance? I expect BF is trying hard to come up with something more current. Could we turn this tread into positive ideas that would assist them?
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

I was being positive. I'm positive I don't like the new graphics. :wink:

I might add that it's not the size nor the color. It's the fact that it looks more like a commercial vehicle than a recreational one. This is JMHO, of course, but they did ask....

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”