Steer Safe Steering Stabilizer/Safe-T-Plus Steering Control

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

whemme

Steer Safe Steering Stabilizer/Safe-T-Plus Steering Control

Post by whemme »

Anyone having either the Steer Safe Steering Stabilizer or the Safe-T-Plus Steering Control system installed on their Born Free coach care to comment on why you chose one over the other and how pleased you are or are not with your chosen system.
Last edited by whemme on Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Bill, back in the eary 70's (yeah, I was motorhoming way back then) we had a coach on a dodge chassis with steer safe. The only problem was getting the correct tension on the springs and like most any spring, they do weaken over time and need adjustments. I have had the Safe-T-Plus on several of our previous coaches and on our Born Free from new. I think either system gives driving a much more pleasant and confident feeling, a major improvement of the standard Ford steering stabilizer. Unless Ford has made a major change I would also pair the stabilizer with a quality heavy duty anti-sway bar.
Mel & Connie
Ann P

Steer Safe/Safety Plus

Post by Ann P »

I can tell you about my experience with all this. Another RVer told me in 2006 about Steer Safe,which has a shop in Deming,NM. I had one easily installed there on my first Born Free, and then again on my next one. It seemed to be a good safety feature and not expensive.

Then I heard a RV suspension expert, Robert Henderson of Henderson's Lineup , Grants Pass,OR speak at some RV seminars, explaining anti-sway bars, trac bars, steering stabilizers, better shocks,etc. By then, I was pretty tired of being blown around the highway by wind gusts, passing trucks and anything bigger than me. I was a RV Full-timer (6 years til now) and decided to get all those features at once. When the mechanics took out the Steer Safe, they said there's a"trash can full of them"...considered practically worthless compared to the Safe T Plus. This year at The Rally (big national Good Sam event) in Phoenix, I heard another expert , from Redlands, CA extol the product too. BTW, when he was asked what's the one thing you would do first for an RV suspension , he said put on Koni shocks.

I am pleased with the Safe T Plus, the Roadmaster AS bars, Konis,etc.- they have made a huge difference in driveability. it's worth the expense if you use your coach enough. Bill, if you want prices, I can check my invoices.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Bill.

When we took delivery of our 2007 24RB in California, I was impressed that the delivery driver even made it out to California. Keeping the vehicle in one lane at 55 mph was a definite "white knuckle affiar". It went to several shops where all and sundry said that the alignment was good and all tolerances were within Ford specs. Sounded good but did little for the vehicle tracking. Ended up at a truck front end shop that also specialized in rvs. Tried several things, no help - including a hvy duty sway bar. They then installed a Safe-T-Plus. Bingo; we were in business. I asked when I should bring it back for possible readjustment and was told never. It has now been five years and it continues to work quite well. Hope this helps.

Steve
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
hrgermany

Post by hrgermany »

I also installed a Safe-T-Plus steering control in my1995 BF and a heavy duty sway bar. This made a great improvement. I wish there would be
more adjustment one could make on the steering gearbox.

Hans Rueckert
1995 BF 26FT RSB
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

IMHO, both are simple mechanisms preventing (dampening) the front wheels to swing rapidly. Two years ago I installed Safe-T-Plus (I just did not shop around) and had the opportunity to experience their positive impact on 75 mph cross wind in Arizona for about 3 1/2 hrs.

During the installation I realized that the previous owner had some kind of stabilizing bar installed. The old cylinders were leaking and were, obviously ineffective.
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

I agree with Ann P regarding her additions. We also have the Safe-T-Plus, the heavy duty sway bars (front and rear), the Koni shocks plus parabolic rear springs. For me, each of these additions has done their job in handling and ride quality. Add those to the cost of a Banks package and it is rather pricey, but for me and our 100,000+ miles, it was worth it.
Mel & Connie
stevek

Post by stevek »

Here is a pic of my 2011.
It has a frame mounted steer. stab. on the pass side.
I assume it came from the factory this way, as it looks like it did.

I still have problems with wondering, but have not pursued any of the options yet, besides messing with tire pressure.

Wonder if I put a more beefy "shock" ?

View from drivers side.

Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I am with Sam on this. I have a stock BFT on a 2003 E-350 chassis and it drives like a dream.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks Sam and Bill.
New at all this, so have lots to learn.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

As I have posted elsewhere on this forum, the first three trips in my 24RB were in strong wind [mostly desert] and I found the handling a little squirrelly but once I got to drive it without wind, I found it handled beautifully. And if I know I have to drive it in a strong crosswind, I keep the tanks full, which makes a difference.
jasper2222

shocks

Post by jasper2222 »

Replaced stock Bilstein and very happy with them. I use Rancho adjustable on my Chev 2500 hd and both vehicals seem to have about the same tracking and stability. Maybe a little more so in the truck, but they are both good.
William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

I just completed a 3 week trip on both Mtn and flat highways. My 96 rsb has no non factory addons. As usual when a big rig passed me there was a slight sway, but I am used to that and drive prepared. I have been in up to 40 mph cross winds during thunderstorms and do get some swaying but nothing dangerous or severe. All of these stabilizing addons do improve the handling as far as I can tell from these posts. Since the handling of my old born free is satisfactory and safe I would never contemplate spending the money these things cost. No matter what you do to a motorhome it will not handle as smooth as a car.
Dan Gilmore

Post by Dan Gilmore »

I know about Safe T Plus. How does it compare with a Blue Ox True Center Stabilizer? Does the "super springs" in the rear negate the need for anti sway bars in the rear?

Also, what is the frequency of repairs, adjustments, etc., to a new coach picked up at the factory. I will pick up my new BF next month and am wondering about that frequency.
lassen

Post by lassen »

Dan..........If your taking delivery of your new unit at Humboldt, drive the 100 miles west to the Blue OX Factory at Pender Nebraska, have your Blue OX Tru-Center installed, and stay at their factory campground. Check out all your systems; and if need be, go back to the factory for the corrections.
We have the Blue Ox Tru Center Stabilizer on our 2005 24RB since 2005, no problems, and no adjustments.

Jack........
Jack & Jan
2005 24RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”