93 24' Rear Bunk Switch Question

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

The Libals

93 24' Rear Bunk Switch Question

Post by The Libals »

Hello All,
I just tried to make my first post and apparently missed a step, so I am trying over. Last week I bought the Class C I've been dreaming about owning for a long time. Not only is it a Born Free, but it has the 7.3 factory Turbo Diesel. The cab is fully loaded with all power options including the power flexsteel driver's seat. Here are a few pictures from when I first got it:

http://bornfreepics.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

That me and my son Isaac. On to my question. There are a bank of 4 switches under the vanity, the first of which turns on the vanity light. The next 3 are lit switches that I am at a loss as to their purpose. Any help you guys might be able to give would be much appreciated. Thanks very much in advance.

Dorian, Niki, and Isaac Libal
whemme

Post by whemme »

The purpose of the various switches should be explained in the Born Free Owner's Manual which hopefully came with your coach.

If not, one of the switches probably is for your hot water heater and the other two switches may be overhead lights in the bathroom and sink area.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
The Libals

Post by The Libals »

I do have the full manual, but it unfortunately does not specify what those switches do. The one switch is for the light over the vanity/sink area. The others are a mystery. The lights in the separate bathroom are separate. Could it be maybe one of them is a tank heater? I'll take a picture and put it up. Maybe that will make it easier to understand.
The Libals

Post by The Libals »

Also, I have a large switch that is actually labeled Water Heater. It's the same type of large switch that starts the Generator.
The Libals

Post by The Libals »

Here is my vanity area outside the bathroom. You can see the switch on the left that says "W.H.". The first of the 4 switches on the right is the vanity light. The rest... :?:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb26 ... 191045.jpg

This next picture is what all the switches are fed in and out of under the sink right close to the switches.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb26 ... 191113.jpg

Admin: Sorry about the pictures. They were imaged directly from photobucket, so I thought they'd be OK. Links instead now.
William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

I have a 96 26rsb and I only have 2 switches by the vanity. One is for the water heater, and one for the vanity light. I have 6 other switches (besides light switches) in the rig. 4 are located over the cooktop and under the microwave they are monitor, hood light, hood fan, water pump. There are two switches by the steps one for the outside light and one for the step light. Whoops I forgot the switch by the side of the sink cabinet for the generator. I did not count the switches on the fantastik fan, fridge, or any switches in the vehicle cab. One old tried and true method would be to turn them on and see what happens. You can also call Kim at the factory since he seems to remember everything concerning coaches.
The Libals

Post by The Libals »

I might end up calling Kim too, if nothing else comes up. It could be something custom that a previous owner did. I too have all the above switches you mentioned, including the switches on the range hood for the water pump, fan, light, and holding tank/battery indicators. I have turned these lit ones on individually and all at the same time, for a short burst and then for 10 minutes or so, but nothing seems to happen. It makes me think that perhaps there is a tank heater, but there must be something else that it operates as well.

Thanks for the responses so far! Please keep them coming!

Still can't get over how much I love my coach. It's such a wonderful machine! :D
David and Susan Bratt

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

A possibility -
Some of the over head lights have switches on the light fixture and they can also controlled by switches on the wall. Perhaps the switch on the fixture is in the off position and then the switch on the wall will not seem to work.
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

I am betting it is something custom, however the question is what? Could one of them be an electric powered TV Antennae to raise and lower it, followed by a switch to rotate right and one to rotate left. How is that for a wild guess. lol
William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

One further thought. Can you test the voltage of the wires (I suspect they are 120)? Can you trace them once they come out of that black box?
The Libals

Post by The Libals »

I will be doing that at some point. They are 12V though as they work without external power and they feed into a box that says "low voltage" on it.. lol. I may have to trace the wires at some point, which looks rather difficult...
Roger

Post by Roger »

Looking at the name on the black box and the sine wave symbol, I think
it's an inverter (converts 12 volts DC to 120 volts AC). I'm going to take
a wag and suggest that the black switch on the left turns on the inverter
and the 3 red switches send the AC to various outlets around the vehicle.

Good luck with it, Roger
1999 24RB
William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

Roger,

You may be on to something about an inverter. In fact that may be the most logical thought. Easy to test, turn on the switches and try 120 volt outlets to see if there is power to any of them. If there is they can be sure there is a inverter. If they turn off the switches the outlet should go dead.

Go thought Roger.
The Libals

Post by The Libals »

Wow! As soon as you said that, it started making perfect sense. I will be testing this this evening. If it is an inverter, my guess would be the plug for the TV at the very least. Boy, I bet you're right! Thanks much!
Roger

Post by Roger »

Can you pot what it says on the black box? I would like to know the mfr
and what it says above "distribution". Also did you get some manuals with
the rig. There might be something in there that would give us more info.

Regards, Roger
1999 24RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”