Crack above generator compartment door

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

Crack above generator compartment door

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I have a crack that has developed in the sidewall just above the generator compartment door. Seems like there was a post about this in the recent past. I used the search link above but did not locate the thread. Thanks for any help!
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
whemme

Post by whemme »

Dallas,

That crack above your generator door could be a hint of a serious problem.

George Boley had his Onan generator drop down out of its mounting in his coach and drag on the ground. He touched briefly on what happened in his Driving Miss Daisy series published on this forum, specifically the 3rd paragraph of his Driving Miss Daisy #13 dated September 22, 2008 that I have copied for you below:

We spend the next two days clearing our brains and replenishing our courage to do it all again next year. Then it’s off to Prince Edward Island to a four-day shellfish festival rally put on by someone else. Course to get there; you have to go through New Brunswick. I love Nova Scotia, but always felt New Brunswick was kind of boring. Well, this year it got kinda exciting. The Daisymobile was humming along as nice as could be when all of a sudden there arose a terrible clatter. Daisy hollered “pull over, pull overâ€
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
hrgermany

crack obove the generator door

Post by hrgermany »

I had the same problem with a crack above generator door.The screws came loose that held the door frame.I used lag bolts,drilled through the frame and frame mount and retighten the frame.Then resealed the seams with silicon

Hans Rueckert

1995 BF 26 FT RSB
lafons

Post by lafons »

I too have had this problem. Mine spread apart about 3/4 inch before I repaired it. I took a 3/8 steel plate about 2' by 18" and used this to reinforce the floor area where the gen. Bolts through the floor. This is all hidden under the couch and the carpet. This has spread the load out and has worked now for 3 years and about 20000 miles including a Alaska trip of over 14,000 miles. I didn't know anyone's had fallen out but I Amy sure mine was getting close. At the time I had never heard of the problem so I didn't post anything and figured mine was a rare problem.
Steve,2001 26rsb
East tennessee
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I had the same problem....noticed a separation just above the outside door & had my RV storage & repair guys check it out....thought all I'd need was a little caulking....not so. When they opened up the storage bin & pulled back the carpet (I have the RSB model with the sofa behind the drivers seat)...they found wet plywood that was deteriorating badly. They had to cut out about 2 ft. deep and replace the wood & I think they put a plate in there too so they could re-attach the generator housing. It appears that the 'quick release' I was using for my water connection had been leaking every time I hooked up for water....and the leakage over time had soaked the carpet and then the plywood below. Expensive fix but at least it didn't drop while on the road. Needless to say I don't use the quick connects any more and I watch that area often.
whemme

Post by whemme »

I am not sure I would consider this a chronic problem justifying a factory recall. After all, the 1st reported occurrence of the problem on this forum after a through search was in September 2008 as I reported above which was 4 years ago.

I consider the maintenance of a motorcoach with some age on it to be similar to an aircraft. In an aircraft, the pilot is the one responsible for determining the continued airworthiness of it before each flight. A motorcoach owner should periodically check the caulking and body seams for any signs of water leaks. In the case of the support structure for the Onan generator, if the carpeting in the compartment directly above the generator is ever found wet, that is your sign to determine the cause and fix the problem right now.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Bill...I completely agree with you. This was caused by water leakage that found it's way to that storage area. I had tools, a tarp, my spare tire, a table & other stuff in there and no, I didn't remove that stuff each time I hooked up to water in a park. It is in no way the fault of BF nor the quality built into this coach. I learned a lesson before it became a more dangerous situation.....But, considering I solo, am a female and am up there in age, I'm kind of proud of myself that I noticed that seam that just didn't look right...which led to seeing what was really going on. I absolutely love my BF & as a rule check her out visually every time I take her out of storage (indoor) just because.....It's my home away from home...think I'm feeling the same as I did 8+ years ago when I bought it in Oklahoma...felt so lucky then...and still do....
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Last year I pull into my driveway after 3 weeks traveling in the Rockies and the Northwest and discover that my battery compartment is almost dragging on the ground. All but 3 screws had stripped out and the adhesive had let loose. The screws were either #10 or #12 sheet metal screws fastened through the fiberglass flange of the battery compartment into the subfloor. I beefed it up with angle iron then lag screwed it into place.

Even though the Born Free is well built, there are some areas that could use a little re-engineering.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I visited Camping World in Roanoke, VA and had them check out the crack in the sidewall. The mechanic looked at the outside mounts and said they were all secure. I think it is unlikely that I have any water damage on the upper mounts where they penetrate the plywood. My MH has been undercover for the last two years. I've found leaks elsewhere but none in this compartment. The wood/fiberglass frame that surrounds the access door is in poor shape. This may be the culprit.

Thanks Bill for your concern and thanks to others who responded.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
delrob

Post by delrob »

Bill Hemme wrote:
I am not sure I would consider this a chronic problem justifying a factory recall. After all, the 1st reported occurrence of the problem on this forum after a through search was in September 2008 as I reported above which was 4 years ago.

I consider the maintenance of a motorcoach with some age on it to be similar to an aircraft. In an aircraft, the pilot is the one responsible for determining the continued airworthiness of it before each flight. A motorcoach owner should periodically check the caulking and body seams for any signs of water leaks. In the case of the support structure for the Onan generator, if the carpeting in the compartment directly above the generator is ever found wet, that is your sign to determine the cause and fix the problem right now.
Bill,

I have great respect for you but I must disagree with you on this one. One of the oldest tricks of RV Manufacturers is to place blame on the owners of their products for "lack of proper maintenance", when the actual root cause of the issue is a design or manufacturing problem. I think that most of us expect more of Born Free. While Born Free has addressed many of their water leak issues over the years (stopping production of the large OH cab window, eliminating the seams intersecting into the small OH cab side window, etc), they have left owners of the older units with these issues "hung out to dry" so to speak (pun intended). This issue, with the potential catastrophic consequences of a generator falling out while on the road at high speed, certainly is deserving of a recall. I am very disappointed with Born Free about their unwillingness to recall units with known design and manufacturing defects.

Bob Grant
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I suspect I had a leak that soaked the plywood subfloor just above the generator compartment for some time. I have a couple of photos that show the recently revealed damage and if Bill Hemme will allow me to send them to him by e-mail he can post them for me. I've forgotten how to resize a photo and am too rattled at the moment to take the time to relearn the process. Same goes for photos of my accident -- I have several that I took to document my loss.

I was very fortunate last week to find a guy that services Onan generators and is also into metal fabrication. Yesterday he constructed two metal pieces and reconnected the generator mounting bolts through them.

In rereading this thread I should have suspicioned water damage as the cause of the separation of my generator shroud. What I would like to know now is just how did the water get in?
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
delrob

Post by delrob »

Sam,

I know for a fact that our leak has nothing to do with the water fill, water tank or water lines. It is rain water that under certain conditions (direction rain is coming from, how much force the rain is "driven" by the wind, attitude (level) of the coach, etc) and in varying amounts, is coming down the seam between the cab and the body behind the driver's seat and also dripping down directly into the driver's seat. The source may be the small window in the side of the OH cab or it may be the side or roof seams or a combination of these.

We had major leaks through the large OH cab window assembly (leaking between frame and glass) back when the coach was newer but it was replaced by the Born Free Factory (at my expense because this was done outside of the warranty period even though the original equipment glass assembly was defective). I do not think it is leaking up there anymore but I will be checking it again (big job to remove everything that we store up there and pull down the big mattress, especially at my advanced age lol.

From a review of previous postings on this site, it would appear that many of us have essentially the same problem which results in the carpet under the sofa behind the driver's seat being soaked and, ultimately over time, deterioration of the marine plywood sub-floor under the carpet.

Dallas,

Have you talked with Kim about this issue? Surely he should be able to shed some light on this matter from his experience over the years. Maybe he could tell you what to look for and how to diagnosis the root cause.

During the next few days I will pull up the carpet under the sofa and check to make sure that our generator is properly supported. Everyone potentially affected should do this! Will let you know what I find.

Good luck to you guys and all the other Born Free owners with this issue.

Bob
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Sam Ryan wrote:Tom, would you have any pictures showing how you fortified and reinforced the battery compartment mounts or mounting system?

I'd like to stay ahead of these potential problems with my coach ~ if at all possible with frequent inspections, IF I know what to look for!
I beefed up the battery compartment using 1" steel angle:

Last edited by tomzleapin on Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

tomzleapin wrote:I beefed up the battery compartment...
Tom is a master of understatement: 26, Twenty-Six!!! bolts. 8)
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

As a follow up as to the source of the water leak that caused the floor to rot above the generator I have this to add.

The floor was wet when I had my accident and tore off the generator shroud. As I traveled through Canada I encountered rain that kept it wet.

Now for the past 10 days or so I have encountered no rain and the wood is dry. This leads me to the conclusion that the source of the leak is outside where the trim strip covers the screws that fasten the lower portion of the BF to the floor. It is not internal as the rot is dry now.

I have an appointment for fiberglass repair at the factory on November 6th and will ask Kim to confirm my analysis.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”