Generac RV generators

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Tom and Jennifer Pierpan

Post by Tom and Jennifer Pierpan »

Tom and I wish to thank all our Born Free "neighbors" on this website who have tried to help us with this problem. A special thank you to Bill Hemme, whom we emailed many times, sent photos for clarification and generally depended on to explain all this "technical" stuff!! Thanks to "tomzleapin" for finding the switch and to "Jasper", who has provided a reliable website for us to place this order. I will do a final update when generator is up and running but that may be a week or two to schedule the repair.
This is actually one part of the generator issue, for when they finally got the thing running the voltage was 150+ on the outlets in the BF. According to the repairman, we need a new voltage regulator as well. Hopefully only one more trip to resolve all this!
Again, our thanks.
Jennifer
whemme

Post by whemme »

Below is a much more detailed photo of the Oslo P/N CRTL80A12V rocker switch that several of us think is the same part as the Generac P/N OH2779 rocker switch and as the Guardian P/N OA9553 rocker switch.

However I think that the switch actuator in the Generac P/N OH2779 switch may be red rather than green in color.
Attachments
Generac Guardian Generator Remote Switch with Light PN OA9553.png
Generac Guardian Generator Remote Switch with Light PN OA9553.png (209.22 KiB) Viewed 15395 times
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

If you don't like green you could try and swap the rocker from the old switch. There are risks so pry the rocker out of the old switch first. If it breaks, learn to like green.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Per the attached spec sheet from Oslo switches, Cheshire, CT., the lens is available in different colors. You can contact them at 203-272-2794.
Attachments
oslo_switch.pdf
(354.54 KiB) Downloaded 416 times
Last edited by Mel Wilbur on Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mel & Connie
whemme

Re: Generac RV generators

Post by whemme »

Sam Ryan wrote: Was the ON/OFF switch located on the generator box working while replacing the switch located at the driver's seat overhead?
Sam,
Tom and Jennifer have not yet replaced the defective switch in the Generac's remote control panel.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Mel wrote: I have to believe that a switch from Onan would work fine. That would give you the hour meter as well. You can check this out with your service shop.
I ordered my BF without a generator but it came with an Onan switch. When I installed the Generac I assumed that I could use the Onan switch with it. I was wrong. The Onan and Generac switches are wired bass ackwards from each other. I could have re-engineered it but it was much easier and cheaper to install the Generac switch/meter.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Mike Jean Bandfield

whemme wrote:Below is a much more detailed photo of the Oslo P/N CRTL80A12V rocker switch that several of us think is the same part as the Generac P/N OH2779 rocker switch and as the Guardian P/N OA9553 rocker switch.

However I think that the switch actuator in the Generac P/N OH2779 switch may be red rather than green in color.
That looks like the same green switch that is in our Generac remote panel.

Mike
Last edited by Mike Jean Bandfield on Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Mike Jean Bandfield

Sam Ryan wrote: Why would you order a new coach from Born Free minus a generator?
Mostly because I wanted an inverter generator and BF wouldn't do anything but Onan at that time. I disliked the idea of having a generator screaming at 3600 rpm whether you were drawing power or not and the idea of an inverter generator throttling up with the AC compressor and idling down when the compressor turned off made sense. And it was also price. The Generac was only ~$1200 + $200 install.
Sam wrote: Was it because you didn't think you would need one?
No, I had it installed immediately.
Sam wrote: Or was it because you chose to do the install yourself, to save money, and or engineer the installation yourself?
I had a local RV guy do the install. We collaborated on the design which has worked nicely.
Sam wrote: Was/is the Generac you installed a diesel generator by any chance?
Propane.
Sam wrote: If not, did you consider different diesel generators before choosing propane?
Yes, the diesels were huge and very heavy. Besides weighing 500 lbs, I felt they would hang too low and would require serious modifications. They were obviously made for large class A's. My first choice would have been a Honda (very quiet and reliable) but it also would hang too low if put in the usual BF generator compartment.

I've had zero problems with the Generac but we don't use it very much. Only 60 hours in 7 years. And I absolutely love the propane. It burns so clean I've never changed the oil. It looks like the day I put it in. Also, I don't have to mess with Stabil or running it periodically throughout the winter. It is noisy compared to the Honda. It is not objectionable inside but outside it is very uneighborly. When camped near others we never run it longer than it takes to nuke a meal.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

We would like to thank everyone for the great help as well! We also have a 2004 rsb with the same generator and our switch will turn the generator on but not off, at least for now. Chuck turns it off on the generator. Otherwise, the generac has worked well for 170 hours, although it has never started right away in very cold weather.
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
Tom and Jennifer Pierpan

Sam ~
Our generator would start, but could not stay running for more than maybe 30 seconds...this was starting and stopping it from the switch outside on the generator itself. Actually the inside switch never worked on the first few tries ( I understand it was priming but it seemed more than that) and Tom just found it was easier to go out and start it. The repairman disconnected the inside switch from the generator and then it started and ran just fine. So, yes, the generator works using this method but the secondary problem is the high voltage reading. Since we have to return for a new volt regulator ( there is no self adjustment on our Generac model as the repairman did check that out) we would prefer to have the switch replaced as well now that we have located one.
Mike Jean Bandfield

Jennifer wrote:Our generator would start, but could not stay running for more than maybe 30 seconds...this was starting and stopping it from the switch outside on the generator itself. Actually the inside switch never worked on the first few tries ( I understand it was priming but it seemed more than that) and Tom just found it was easier to go out and start it.
Tom and Jennifer,
This statement has me wondering if we are experiencing the same thing but interpreting it differently. When starting my LP Generac after it has been idle for some time, the engine will catch, run rough for a few seconds and then die. I may have to restart it many times before it finally takes off. And, then there's this cryptic note in the owner's manual: :roll:
Generac 941_1 Service Bulletin - et. al. wrote:NOTE:
If starting a warm generator engine, press the start
switch only slightly to engage the ignition system.
However, press and hold the starter switch for a
minimum of two (2) seconds to energize the field
boost system. If starting the engine without energizing
the field boost system, the generator produces
no output.
Several years ago, after reading this I screwed up the courage and held the starter switch down and didn't let go after it caught. (This is something that you would never do in a car because after the engine caught you would be turning the starter with the pistons and would likely destroy the starter gears. :shock: ) It worked! 8) The engine came up to normal idle speed in ~2-4 seconds; then I let go of the switch. There is no grinding or unusual noises to indicate a strain or conflicting mechanisms. I'm guessing the electronics senses the engine start and turns off the starter motor - while maintaining "field boost" :?: :? Anyway, no more starting and starting and starting...

There is no other reference to a "field boost system" that I can find in any of the many manuals or service bulletins I have.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Boy, talk about price differences, the switch from Ordertree shows a price of $61.20 vs the switch from Parts For Techs in the post by tomzleapn has the switch with a price of $13.51. The only difference I can see is the color of the lens in the switch.
Mel & Connie
Tom and Jennifer Pierpan

Generac generator

Today we received in the mail a new remote switch for our Generac/Guardian Rv generator. We ordered it last week, based upon Jasper's recommendation, from Advanced Service and Parts, which can be found online at www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/. They provided excellent customer service, even to the extent of sending someone to check their inventory physically to make sure they had the part in stock. The part cost $13.51, with a $25 minimum order, plus postage. If you don't meet the minimum order, they add a $5 surcharge, so we also ordered some generator air filters and fuel filters for future preventive maintenance. After receiving this new part, we checked it against the faulty part it is destined to replace, and it is identical.

However, because it is now mid-November, and we are anxious to get the BF into covered storage for the winter, we will not return to the generator repair shop to have this installed and the remote switch wires reconnected to the generator until next April after the BF comes out of storage. We will post an update as to how this fares at that time. Thanks again to all who helped out with this minor problem that turned into a major effort.

Tom
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Thanks for the update, Tom. We will order the switch as well but also will not have the work done until we take the coach out of storage in the spring.
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
Tom and Jennifer Pierpan

Generac RV generator

Our Generac generator is working....
This generator had two issues:
It would start but not stay running after a few seconds
It did not produce Ac output for coach.
The toggle switch above the driver side was replaced and was indeed faulty.
The ignition solenoid was replaced and the generator now started and ran fine, but did not produce any power for coach.
Generator removed from BF and then the voltage regulator was replaced. Also cleaned slip rings and brushes while working on voltage regulator. Generator performed well and was reinstalled into our BF this week and we are "happy campers" to have this running again.
This excellent repair was performed by J&D Power Equipment, Inc in the tiny town of Deerfield NH. This is about 15 miles from the new Camping World outside of Concord NH. This was the second place we had taken the generator as we did not have much confidence in the first choice closer to our home. Mike, at J&D, is a certified Generac ( and Onan ) repairman and he has lots of experience. The long delays in resolving this issue were a result of our busy summer, not J&D's scheduling. I will post info about J&D Power in the NE section Repair Facilities on this website.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”