BF BFT Plexi door handle light

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

kretskin

BF BFT Plexi door handle light

Post by kretskin »

Hi...when we viewed our '99 BF the rear door handle-plexiglass-lit up and was really sweet. It has not lit up since:) but we have an appointment 10/31 for a few things and that is on the list...anyone have history with this issue and can you offer a repair thought?

Also, this summer we felt as if our monitor readings were off...has anyone ever changed this panel out and how was it? Expensive?

Loving our BF BFT-saw another older model at Burning Man and then passed one on the way home in upstate Nevada!
whemme

Post by whemme »

Shady Lady,

Kinda confused as to what you are saying exactly. Far as I know, no enter door handles on Born Free coaches are lighted. Are you instead referring to the entry assist handle located on the fiberglass body to the left side of the door? And if you are, are you saying that just by viewing (looking at) the handle it would illuminate? On the Born Free coaches I am familiar with, there is a switch inside the doorway that turns on the internal illumination for the entry assist handle.

If that describes your particular entry assist handle, then inside the clear and hollow plastic handle is a string of small incandescent lamps. The original handle on your coach is no longer made so parts are no longer available. The only way to fix that problem is to replace that lighted handle with one that is currently available. Kim at the factory may be able to recommend a replacement brand and model of replacement lighted handle.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

It could also be a burned out bulb. Search lighted rv entry handle on the web and there are forum discussions on how to replace the bulb.

If you need a completely new handle, here are a couple of sources:

http://www.rvandvansurplus.com/assistha ... cletype=RV

http://www.factoryrvsurplus.com/product ... uct_id=452

Although I am not sure, the 5500 model appears similar to the one on my BFT. You can even buy only the curved replacement acrylic handle for the unit:

http://www.factoryrvsurplus.com/product ... uct_id=453

Bill
Attachments
lighted handle.JPG
lighted handle.JPG (22.14 KiB) Viewed 11519 times
acrylic handle.JPG
acrylic handle.JPG (26.92 KiB) Viewed 11519 times
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

I changed mine to a LED bulb a few years ago, there is only one bulb in my 2003 handle. Perhaps yours is burnt out. It's one of the small push in bulbs like in side marker lights, maybe a 168? I also changed the inside step light that is on the same circuit to the same LED bulb, I can leave them on all night for a low power consumption night light. Next time I would use an amber one outside, maybe draw less bugs with a less blue bulb, and one that aims the led to the side, more light would then hit the handle.[/img]
Attachments
Born free handle2.JPG
Born free handle2.JPG (6.5 KiB) Viewed 11506 times
Born free handle1.JPG
Born free handle1.JPG (6.81 KiB) Viewed 11506 times
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
Dude

Post by Dude »

These pictures are great!!! One of the things I noticed when I had my BF out for the first time was when I put the "Porch" light on the Plexiglass assist handle got real hot on top. I just shut the "Porch" light off and put it on the "to do" list. I figured there might be a loose wire behind it that was causing it to warm up. It did not look like it was lit but thought it could be possible. Now I know there is something electrical in the handle. I don't know if it being warm is normal or not but I'm not going to use the porch light until I check out the handle. It is still on my to do list but at least I know what is back there now. I have to deal with Frankenstorm first.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

Your BF is a great asset with a storm like Sandy. With a good supply of fuel, propane, and water in the BF you can weather days of no shore power at the house. You can run an extension cord into the house, keeping the home refrigerator cold and some lights on. Driveway camping!! Or head somewhere safer if needed. It's also an opportunity to check for water leaks with your BF. Look everywhere, if it's still dry tomorrow, you are probably sealed up nicely.

Good luck tonight.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”