Has anybody started converting their lighting over to LED?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

stevek

Has anybody started converting their lighting over to LED?

Post by stevek »

I have done the easy stuff and changed the "spade" type (guess thats what you call them) .. over to LED.

Plus I still have the "bayonet" type lights to replace over the bathroom sink. They are easy to find in LED.

But now there is the florescent type lights.
I think my BF has 4 or 5 of them.

Anyway is it worth the change? Expense?
I plan on doing "dry Camping".
So is it worth the energy savings?
Or is the LED craze, just a bunch of hype?
Looks good ..feels good?
I think all the new 2013 BFs come with all LED lighting.
I could call Kim, and see who their supplier is for the florescent light replacement?

PS I did a search on LED w/ no luck. THANKS
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

The florescent lights don't draw much wattage. I would not bother replacing them since you have other LED lighting, and they would not need to be used for long periods of time while dry camping.

I suggest you get yourself a set (3 or 6) of battery-operated flameless LED candles. They work great inside the coach at night for soft illumination and don't draw off your coach batteries. They even make them with built in timers or remote controlled.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
bbwolf

Post by bbwolf »

We did replace all of the lighting with LED bulbs, except for the Fluorescent ones at the front and rear of the RV. (I also did this inside my home. Imagine one bulb going from 75 watts down to only needing 7 watts with the same output of light).

At the time, our BornFree Mini only had one coach battery. Many folks on this site let me know that the one battery would severely limit my ability to be without shore or generator power. I found out how correct they were in a hurry...

There are many, many dealers online with LED bulbs to fit 12 volt systems. The main issue is between a "blue" light (brighter, but we are not used to that light spectrum) and "yellow" light (warmer color).

Here is one of many websites to search for lighting at:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Another source for LED lights of all types can be found at www.jirahled.com as well as Camping World. They also have a replacement for the 18" Thin-Lite fluorescent units found in most of our coaches.
Mel & Connie

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”