Newburgh NY KOA

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dude

Newburgh NY KOA

Post by Dude »

Has anyone ever been here? Newburgh KOA

I remember reading about a really awesome KOA in NY that just opened recently, is this the one?

My wife has some friends from work that are campers. We camped with them once a few years ago and then they moved up to Boston. We started talking about meeting 1/2 way to camp and it looks like the Newburgh KOA is 3 hours away for each of us. We haven't figured out when we might do it but it is winter and cold so I'm dreaming about camping in the summer time and where we would go.

It looks to be real nice and clean from the pictures they post....of course they aren't posting the picture of the campsite next the dumpsters, but from what I can see it looks real nice. They also have lots of activities planned it seems. Ok, I'll pay the $56 per night.

They have a $5 per night activity fee which I am not thrilled about. I used to work in Hotels 10 years ago and there was a big lawsuit against Wyndham about extra "fees". This is supposed to cover Pancakes each morning, mini golf, and some moon bounce pillow......OK, I will have a 3 1/2 year old. I'll make use of that.

Not clear if it is included in the $56 or in addition. Kind of rich if it is in addition. I'll have to play 2 rounds of mini-golf to get my monies worth.

So, have you ever been here? Do you have any pictures?
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
thestoloffs

Re: Newburgh NY KOA

Post by thestoloffs »

We've stayed there once. It's probably not the new one you've heard about, but it was quite reasonable -- especially compared to motel costs in the NYC area. Also, the only other commercial campground near enough to NYC is Liberty Harbor, and that's only flat cement pads for almost twice the price.

It was clean and properly setup with mostly pull-through sites. There's little else in the nearby town, but the campground is quite well equipped for families, especially with young children.

Be careful watching the directions to enter. Our GPS led us to the wrong road, after leaving the NY Thruway. The campground's own website has good directions to follow.
Last edited by thestoloffs on Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marilynn & Gerry Stoloff
Coconut Creek, FL
Former owner of 26' Mobility
William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

You might also look at Croton Point Park just outside of Croton on the Hudson. This park is even closer to NYC and train is right nearby with service to Grand Central. We stayed here and it was very nice. Also near the attractions of the hudson valley. Fees are similar to KOA Newburg but remember this park is closer to NYC and one pays for location. The hudson valley is a great place to spend some time.
Dude

Post by Dude »

This trip is not a sightseeing trip. We'll be visiting with my wifes friends and probably stay at the campground. I know they used to only camp at KOA's so thats why I looked on KOA.com. They have a 10 year old daughter. I'll check out Croton State Park and see what they have and offer that as an option as well.

I grew up in Bergen County NJ about 15 minutes from the George Washington Bridge. I have a brother who still lives in the area so I'll stay with him when visiting NYC.

I have heard of Liberty Harbor.....that is the old airplane strip right? I think that one was truly a case of Location Location Location, being real close to NYC.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Matt;

We stayed at the KOA a few years ago while going to a West Point football game. From what I remember it was a nice campground, but we really didn't pay much attention to the amenities.

It is a convenient spot for the local tourist area, and I think they ran bus trips into NYC from there.

Good luck.

John
thestoloffs

Post by thestoloffs »

Dude wrote:I grew up in Bergen County NJ about 15 minutes from the George Washington Bridge. I have a brother who still lives in the area so I'll stay with him when visiting NYC.

I have heard of Liberty Harbor.....that is the old airplane strip right? I think that one was truly a case of Location Location Location, being real close to NYC.
Yes, LH really is pricey for what you get, which isn't much. If you can take the driving (without any of the NY Parkways, which are illegal for RVs), either Croton State or the KOA are much better values.

15 mins. from the GWB? Sounds like you grew up somewhere on the Palisades. My brother was in the most confusing address I ever heard -- Towers West, on Boulevard East, in West New York, New Jersey. :lol:

But, you're actually closer to my own heart, in Downingtown. I'm a Havertown boy who moved to Lower Bucks County for 20 years, before moving with work and just now retiring
Tom and Jennifer Pierpan

Newburgh NY KOA

Post by Tom and Jennifer Pierpan »

We have stayed at the Newburgh KOA more than a few times while traveling south, but only for one night. It is clean and well run and would be pleasant enough to stay a few days. It is a typical layout with playground, etc for families. The sites we have stayed at were woodsy and well separated from neighbors. It is a considerable distance from the thruway and watch carefully for the sign to turn Right onto the final road to campground. Small and easy to miss.
We have stayed at Croton on the Hudson and loved it. Located along the Hudson, the RV park is up on the hill in a secluded wooded area and then you can walk down into the open spaces of the city park and there is the river and the views. It would be a fine choice for a social get-together amongst RVers.
We have also stayed at Liberty Harbor, located in a marina. If you need to be in NYC this is really a great choice! Easy to catch the train to the city, a secured site ( besides your Born Free is worth far less than the yachts tied up there...) and a fully equipped site, even if it is only really a parking lot for RVs! No charm, but then aren't you staying there to be in the city?
Since we travel with dogs, and perhaps you do as well, all three are fine for pets.
Jennifer and Tom Pierpan

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”